Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Expanse on SyFy: Discussion - Spoilers.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched eps 1 -3 today.. Seems to be an interesting show, certainly worth watching. It is nice to see actual space-based sci fi on TV.

But one thing does not please me. Yet another sci fi show about a dysfunctional human-based civilization, with elements of that one society fighting with other elements of humanity. These seem to be all that anyone wants to make anymore.

Why can't they get into exploration? I'd much rather see a show about a group of humans exploring the galaxy or even the stars in our own local corner of it.

Comment

What, too realistic for you? Maybe when Earth governments and people actually start cooperating instead of fighting we'll see more positive SF.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        Watched eps 1 -3 today.. Seems to be an interesting show, certainly worth watching. It is nice to see actual space-based sci fi on TV.

But one thing does not please me. Yet another sci fi show about a dysfunctional human-based civilization, with elements of that one society fighting with other elements of humanity. These seem to be all that anyone wants to make anymore.

Why can't they get into exploration? I'd much rather see a show about a group of humans exploring the galaxy or even the stars in our own local corner of it.
        Heard of Mass Effect Andromeda? Exploration will be a focus in that game.

I would love a Mass Effect TV show but imagine how much money it would it take to make such a show?

Comment

Originally posted by ClockworkNebari View Post
          For me this show has problems, I can not tell you exactly what those problems are I'm normally not a big reader of scifi and I have not read the books. One problem is maybe the story, why should this show stay close to its scifi books? Are these books exceptional in a way? Would they rank above other top 10 books of all time, would they even rank against a top 30 scifi novels? and would it be wiser to allow the show more freedom?
          I don't know how can anyone measure quality, it's more up to taste, either you like it or you not. But the first novel has been nominated for the 2012 Hugo Award for Best Novel and the 2012 Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel. And the third novel won the 2014 Locus Award. So yeah, one might assume they'll stick to the novels.

I'm towards the end of the first novel, and I really like it. I've already bought the second novel, but it's not a fast read, those 500+ pages took me longer than usual. But it's hard to put down, for sure.
          sigpic

Comment

Having read the source material, I say give it time!

Comment

Originally posted by Katch View Post
              Having read the source material, I say give it time!
              Having not read the source material, I agree. The book it is based on is titled "Leviathan Wakes" and that is the name of the finale. So I gotta ask...what the hell is Leviathan?

So I gotta keep watching to find out.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm surprised by the limited number of responses here, and on the individual episode threads. Are not enough people watching, or do most not like it, or what? I'm seeing a lot of activity on Twitter and Facebook, so I suppose it's just a matter of people not using message boards much these days. I know the broadcast ratings have been low, but that's to be expected for the time of year it premiered, plus the easy access online, and the fact Syfy has alienated a lot of viewers over the years. For anyone who doesn't have cable, or don't have Syfy in their channel package, all five episodes are available at syfy.com, and I'm assuming that will continue throughout the season. At first, the pilot didn't include any commercials, but now you have to put up with that on all of them.

Comment

Season One will be out on DVD & Blu-Ray/Digital on April 5.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Expanse-Season-1/21906

Comment

I'm quite on the fence with this.
                    Twice now, I've started this week's ( 1/12/16 ) episode, and both time I just couldn't keep my attention focused on it. Still haven't finished it.

Comment

Twice now, I've started this week's ( 1/12/16 ) episode, and both time I just couldn't keep my attention focused on it. Still haven't finished it.
                      I'm rewatching the episodes precisely because I find the first four were a lot better. Soon I'll find out. So far what I know is that those first four episodes were great.

Comment

Originally posted by ecgordon View Post
                        Season One will be out on DVD & Blu-Ray/Digital on April 5.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Expanse-Season-1/21906
                        That's another Blu-ray that I need to add to my must buy list.
                        sigpic

Comment

This and Twelve Monkeys are the two best shows on SyFy right now IMO.
                          I'm really liking this show-never read the books.
                          Liking the politics(seem realistic to me) the special effects, ect

Comment

never read the books but I think I read somewhere that later on in the books they do get outside the solar system maybe that will get reflected in the show if there are more than one or two seasons.

Comment

But one thing does not please me. Yet another sci fi show about a dysfunctional human-based civilization, with elements of that one society fighting with other elements of humanity. These seem to be all that anyone wants to make anymore. Why can't they get into exploration? I'd much rather see a show about a group of humans exploring the galaxy or even the stars in our own local corner of it.
                              Because this is set 200 years in the future and creates a realistic projection of what that development would really look like. What would be the economic basis to support that kind of development. What would be the political results. The physiological and social results. It's a gritty, realistic not so distant very possible future and that is its draw.

Comment

Originally posted by TOIVA View Post
                                I'm rewatching the episodes precisely because I find the first four were a lot better. Soon I'll find out. So far what I know is that those first four episodes were great.
                                I've rewatched the first six episodes and for me, The Expanse is still a very solid sci-fi show (probably best in recent memory). But the way you had trouble with the sixth episode, I had with the fifth. That one for me was underwhelming.

I hope we see more of Martian and UN Navy, Eros, maybe even Phoebe station. Either way, this solar system is very lively and believable.

Comment

Working...
                                X