Instinct (103)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    I'm thinking either the writers did some research...or are playing the 'evolutionary experiment' card. In other words, some critters tried things that didn't work and died out as a result. (such as what woulda happened to the crucks had there been a volcanic eruption or flood that ruined their breeding grounds)
    It is very possible these things have a very long maturity and only have one major breed and a few sporadic ones. Kind of like cicadas on a 17 year cycle but there are always a few every year.

Comment

Ahh, dissappointed once again. I had my hopes for a gritty cool adventrure type mystery show, but I get the prehistoric brady-bunch.

Totall filler episode, moving absolutely nothing of the interesting plots (sixers, rock writings) forward. No real interesting character interactions because the main guy becomes hero and practically second in command on his first day after having popped out of that portal as an armed escaped fugitive. Rest is typical american teen.

Child actors are horrible. I'm not expecting all child actors to be Game of Thrones-good, but this is just horrendous.

But well. Spartacus started out horrible too. That turned out great, so I'm still hoping =]

Comment

Originally posted by smooTh__ View Post
        Ahh, dissappointed once again. I had my hopes for a gritty cool adventrure type mystery show, but I get the prehistoric brady-bunch.

Totall filler episode, moving absolutely nothing of the interesting plots (sixers, rock writings) forward. No real interesting character interactions because the main guy becomes hero and practically second in command on his first day after having popped out of that portal as an armed escaped fugitive. Rest is typical american teen.

Child actors are horrible. I'm not expecting all child actors to be Game of Thrones-good, but this is just horrendous.

But well. Spartacus started out horrible too. That turned out great, so I'm still hoping =]
        I'm sure SGU is in syndication somewhere. Perhaps you should watch that.

Comment

I like the idea that Jim and his family are there because Malcolm had still a thing for Elizabeth.

I can't say I like the idea that money is being used. Trade I can understand, but it seems a bit stupid they go back in time 85 million years to help build a better future for tomorrow and someone decides to reinvent money. Also wasn't fond of Josh being in a band. Is there anything more clichéd than having an angsty kid who is angry at his father than making him join a band?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
            I like the idea that Jim and his family are there because Malcolm had still a thing for Elizabeth.

I can't say I like the idea that money is being used. Trade I can understand, but it seems a bit stupid they go back in time 85 million years to help build a better future for tomorrow and someone decides to reinvent money. Also wasn't fond of Josh being in a band. Is there anything more clichéd than having an angsty kid who is angry at his father than making him join a band?
            This is why there will always be money.
            http://www.youtube.com/user/AmeriKid.../1/7GK_fRM8SO0
            http://www.youtube.com/user/AmeriKid.../0/HlyE0KRgbg4

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
              I'm sure SGU is in syndication somewhere. Perhaps you should watch that.
              Hehe. Not legal to not be head over heels in love with every sci-fi show out there? SGU was above average at the very best, but it at least had some good actors.

Truth is, most if not all sci-fi shows currently running are very very meh. And I am sad about it.

Besides, it's not much of a discussion forum if the biggest discussion about is whether to call the new birds ducks or crucks, is it?.

Comment

I just don't really get what sort of show they're aiming to make. The first episode seemed very much character driven with a mystery twist, much like Lost although much slower paced. This episode however was almost a run of the mill episodic action adventure story, that didn't really add anything to the overall story beyond a relatively dull character thread. I wouldn't say it was bad per se, it's just difficult to get into a show when you have no idea what the pay off is supposed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by smooTh__ View Post
                  Hehe. Not legal to not be head over heels in love with every sci-fi show out there? SGU was above average at the very best, but it at least had some good actors.

Truth is, most if not all sci-fi shows currently running are very very meh. And I am sad about it.

Besides, it's not much of a discussion forum if the biggest discussion about is whether to call the new birds ducks or crucks, is it?.
                  Hey now...no dissin' the crucks!

And no, you don't have to love every sci-fi show. However, it was obvious from the previews of the show what type of sci-fi show it was going to be. Gritty, grainy, or what have you...and mystery...not so much.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                    Money is a form of trade. Why herd 5 sheep to trade for a cow when you can just carry money in your pocket and buy the cow that way. Deciding how much the cow is worth in dollars or sheep is essentially the same thing. Maybe the guy with the cow doesn't want sheep for the cow but he will take your money for it. Josh just didn't have anything the guy with the guitar thought was worth trading for. Plus it's easier to pay people for their labor with money than in sheep.

I didn't have a problem with the money. They are not in a dire situation where, imo, money would become worthless...like say food was scarce or something. Though I'm going to guess that they don't have to buy food anyway. I'm going to assume that it's communal. While this particular guy's goods are not abundant (and not essential) so they have a price.
                    IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                      Money is a form of trade. Why herd 5 sheep to trade for a cow when you can just carry money in your pocket and buy the cow that way. Deciding how much the cow is worth in dollars or sheep is essentially the same thing. Maybe the guy with the cow doesn't want sheep for the cow but he will take your money for it. Josh just didn't have anything the guy with the guitar thought was worth trading for. Plus it's easier to pay people for their labor with money than in sheep.

I didn't have a problem with the money. They are not in a dire situation where, imo, money would become worthless...like say food was scarce or something. Though I'm going to guess that they don't have to buy food anyway. I'm going to assume that it's communal. While this particular guy's goods are not abundant (and not essential) so they have a price.
                      Good take on things...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                        I just don't really get what sort of show they're aiming to make. The first episode seemed very much character driven with a mystery twist, much like Lost although much slower paced. This episode however was almost a run of the mill episodic action adventure story, that didn't really add anything to the overall story beyond a relatively dull character thread. I wouldn't say it was bad per se, it's just difficult to get into a show when you have no idea what the pay off is supposed to be.
                        and SGU didn't have this exact problem?

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post

Is that you, John Galt?

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                            and SGU didn't have this exact problem?
                            What does SGU have to do with Terra Nova? And no, it was quiet clearly a character drama. The issue for SGU, was the network wasn't marketing it as such. The issue for Terra Nova is the first two episodes have not been written in consistent styles. The first was very character driven and seemingly the start of something very serialized, the second was a cookie cutter episodic action adventure romp.

Comment

I agree. SGU isn't on topic here. Ya'll wanna go on and on and on about your perceived weaknesses in that show we have a massive forum just for that (presuming it's not something you haven't already said a few hundred times)

This thread is about Terra Nova, so let's keep it on topic please
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i liked the episode. however i am completely NOT getting the vibe that dinosaurs are dangerous. remember that humanity extincted most really powerful races.

they're 85 million years in the past but it really is played like it's like they're in their own time in a jungle.

Comment

Working...
                                X