Terra Nova (Fox) - News/Discussion/Speculation SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
    Eh, this has a mix of good and bleh. Nothing special. I will watch next week though.

The teenage rebellion brat is annoying x 10. Why must there always be one of these? Why such crappy vehicles? And why did those dinos not kill that girl and bite off that one guy's foot. I was cheering for the dino to knock off some of those annoying teenagers.
    It's these continuity and plot holes that bug the hell out of me. They need to firm up the writing.

Also, when they were trying to find the kids they said 80km east. What were they doing that far out from the settlement. That's ridiculous. I don't know how fast those vehicles can go, but it can't be too fast if a dinosaur can catch you. So it must take a couple hours to drive that distance. When the vehicle was disabled they said they wouldn't be able to walk back before it got dark, at that distance it would take a couple days to get back on foot.

How did the kids get one of the vehicles from the closed guarded compound without being noticed? And if it took a couple hours each way plus time swimming, and moonshining, etc they would be gone maybe 8 hrs - and no one is going to notice they're missing?!?!?!
    sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
      So enforcing Population control was the only way to reduce the inevitable.
      If you really want to enforce population control, give the woman a hysterectomy after her 2nd child an they can have all the sex they want.
      sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
        If you really want to enforce population control, give the woman a hysterectomy after her 2nd child an they can have all the sex they want.
        Who knows, maybe it is like this, only in the situation I described that wouldn´t have been the case.
        Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
        Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
        There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

so what are they going to do when that nice asteroid comes a knockin and near wipes out all life on earth and actually starts the evolutionary process. (hope i'm remembering my science right.)

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
            so what are they going to do when that nice asteroid comes a knockin and near wipes out all life on earth and actually starts the evolutionary process. (hope i'm remembering my science right.)
            If you really want to know, read the past 3 pages.
            Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
            Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

If you really want to know, read the past 3 pages.
              just did and i gotta tell you, i had a feeling i wasn't the only person who had asked that question.

Comment

i dunno why people had to ask, I mean their 85 million years back theyve got 20 million years left, thats 100 times longer than humans have been around.

the whole family seem a bit too whiny but other than that I quite liked it

Comment

To the Son of the Family, I am bugged as to why he resents his Father this much. He was in Jail for 1 Year, because he tried to protect his Family. I have been through alot and never seen this kind of hate unless it is someone I didnt want in the first place. The only way I can think of is simply a patchwork Family.
                  The son wasn't shown to be resentful of his father before the arrest, so the son's attitude strikes me as being pouty, bratty, and sulky, about hardships stemming from the father being in prison. I think all of the children have the same biological parents -- the doctor and the police officer. I don't think being a blended family automatically means dissension between family members. Being a biological parent of a child is no guarantee of having a non-combative relationship with that child.

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                  And howcome in 2149 sex is banned? I don't get that.. I just don't... Humans can have sex just for pleasure and not procreate........ What lameness
                  When was this mentioned? I only remember the two child limit. I think an interesting statement about that society is that a person can be jailed for having more than two children, yet there doesn't seem to be mandatory sterilization. The government is serious about population control, but not to the point of violating a person's body with forced sterilization.

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
                  Also, when they were trying to find the kids they said 80km east. What were they doing that far out from the settlement. That's ridiculous. I don't know how fast those vehicles can go, but it can't be too fast if a dinosaur can catch you. So it must take a couple hours to drive that distance. When the vehicle was disabled they said they wouldn't be able to walk back before it got dark, at that distance it would take a couple days to get back on foot.
                  I thought they said 8km from Terra Nova. 80km in thick jungle, probably without roadways (I think they would prioritize building housing and infrastructure over building roads going nowhere) would take days to navigate.

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                  The extinction event happened around 65 million years ago. Terra Nova is set 85 millions years in the past. That's a lot of breathing space.
                  My Stargate Re-Watch Blog: Wormhole!

Comment

There was no 'no sex', just a 2 child limit rule.

And yes, forcing women to have their tubes tied would keep that rule.....but can you see the US doing that? China doesn't - to the best of my knowledge - forcefully sterilize its females, and if china doesn't do it, the US won't either. You make a law and enforce it.

I'm willing to bet that people can be voluntarily sterilized, but not forcefully.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      There was no 'no sex', just a 2 child limit rule.

And yes, forcing women to have their tubes tied would keep that rule.....but can you see the US doing that? China doesn't - to the best of my knowledge - forcefully sterilize its females, and if china doesn't do it, the US won't either. You make a law and enforce it.

I'm willing to bet that people can be voluntarily sterilized, but not forcefully.
                      is forced abortion actually a thing in china or is that just tom clancy using creative license to smear china

Comment

Depends on who you ask. And threes a difference between forced or compulsory abortions and forced sterilization.

sigpic

Comment

And, mod hat on, let's not have this thread go off topic into a debate about whether or not abortion is right or wrong.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Naomi View Post
                            The son wasn't shown to be resentful of his father before the arrest, so the son's attitude strikes me as being pouty, bratty, and sulky, about hardships stemming from the father being in prison. I think all of the children have the same biological parents -- the doctor and the police officer. I don't think being a blended family automatically means dissension between family members. Being a biological parent of a child is no guarantee of having a non-combative relationship with that child.
                            I just brought it up because the same more or less went down in my Family. My Sister joined the Family when she was 7 and resented our Parents ever since. Not that it was ever said, its just a look in her eyes that I have come to know very well, I recieve that look by now too. So thats why I am guessing that something about them hasnt been told.

On another note, the Boy mentioned that if his Dad hadnt punched the Police officer, he may never have ended up in Jail and just get a fine. Really? A Policemen brakes the law in what I take is a harder offense then normally and there wouldnt have been consequences? I dont get it.
                            Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                            Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              Depends on who you ask. And threes a difference between forced or compulsory abortions and forced sterilization.
                              I think people would understand mandatory sterilization after the second child under those circumstances. 2 children per couple in average is all you need to maintain the population size (in real life maybe 3 would be the limit since some people for many reasons -accidents, personal wishes, dying young, etc- wont have or be able to have 2 children).
                              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I really don't want to get into this argument here, on this forum-but forcing people to be sterilized or have abortions against their will is a serious human rights abuse. It was also done in the U.S. during the 20's and 30's under some states' Eugenics Laws. If you doubt me just google Buck vs. Bell. Supreme Court Case.

Comment

Working...
                                X