No announcement yet.

Terra Nova (Fox) - News/Discussion/Speculation SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i came into this series with a lot of reservations (weird family show? childish be/c of the kids? they leave a bad future, but go far into the past and this is 'better'?)

i kept it on, but a lot of those reservations came true.
    sally

sigpic

Comment

No one's joked about the fact they travelled through a crack in space/time...... Will they meet the Sleestak or the Silents
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        I think my one big question...why dinosuars???
        Second, there is an extinction event coming. Whether you want to believe the asteroid or not, something killed off most of life on earth during hte dinosaur time, so why try to create a new timeline that has this MASSIVE extinction threat coming?

We have a rough idea about when in time various extinction events happen, why not go back to a 'safer' point in our time?

It just seems that they're postponing the inevitable.
        The dinosaur extinction event isn't even worth thinking about.

They've gone back 85 million years, the dinosaurs were wiped out 65 million years ago.

That's a gap of 20 million years. If the colony succeeds, something tells me that in the space of 20 million years

a) They'll have interstallar flight.
        b) Be capable of destroying extinction size asteroids.

Not even worth thinking about.

I still think that it will all end up being a self fulfilling prophecy kind of thing, and the timelines are not in fact seperate.

For instance the human race could have always been destined to go back in time 85 million years, and flourish in the past, thus coming full circle.

Just because they sent back the probe, and couldn't find the singnal in the future, doesn't necessarily mean the timelines are seperate, the probe could have been destroyed in those 85 million years, or perhaps it's not even on earth anymore.

Place your bets now

Comment

Originally posted by Aerilon View Post

2) There is a lot of mention about a mass-extinction: I can't believe nobody has thought of this yet, but there doesn't necessarily have to be one. Think about it ~ they've travelled back in time to a parallel universe (such a parallel universe that Earth doesn't get struck by a meteorite). That being said, obviously the citizens of 2149 wouldn't know this, but they're so far before that, that they should (in theory) find a way to save the asteroid hitting before it actually does.
          In my understanding, they didn't travel to a parallel universe, they create one (a new parallel universe) by traveling to the future. From now on everything, that happens on earth that will be influenced by their presence will change (like if they step on some prehistoric butterfly), but event not alterable by the human presence in prehistoric time will still happens. For example, if a meteorite was supposed to hit earth or if the Sun was suppose to go nova. Unless the humans find a technology to blow up the giant meteorite in the space (or refuel the sun) until that time.

Although the way they set up the probe disappearance on the show open the door for the fact they the probe may actually not have been lost and that they are in fact in the same universe that what they came from (so there's only one timeline). Able to influence the future of where they come from like in Back to the Future.

3) The Moon: We've managed to find a way back through time, but we're not living on the moon yet?
          Doesn't solve the resources problem. If they have hard time coming up with fresh water and good agricultural land on earth imagine on the moon or mars.

4) The symbols on the rock: Obviously they've been written by Taylor's son, who is now leading the Sixers.
          It would be the lamest stuff ever. It would make them some frivolous graffiti on some rocks. Hopefully, the identity of the one who wrote them and their purpose are more interesting.
          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

1) Two Way Communication / Transportation: They can communicate with their future, but they can't travel back there. Don't suppose anyone has some basic theories to this do they? I'd have thought that if you can send devices and radio signals one way, then you should be able to send them both back again.
            I think I know why it is just one way. The Launchsite is just in the Middle of 2 Particle accelerators. Maybe they are whats needed to power the Travel and building something like that would be near to impossible for the People back there.

Also, the Terra Nova Colony is build in a circle just like the accelerators and when the Kids where looking at the writings of the Wall, I am pretty sure I saw a drawing that reasembled the Colony from a Bird perspective.

4) The symbols on the rock: Obviously they've been written by Taylor's son, who is now leading the Sixers. Either the writings on the rock are mathematics to enable travel back to the future, or there is some conspiracy (via the future) that involves the past, and Taylor's son is putting a plan in motion.
            I guess those Equasions are in order to prepare for a way home. I could make a guess why all this is done, but its just as good as any. They dont plan to make a new start, rather they want to take everything they need from that Planet and bring it back to their Time. They would have a whole Planet in order to grow Food without a need to leave their own world. Maybe its even possible to transfer some of the Athmosphere.
            Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
            Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
            There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

i'm willing to bet that part of the mission of the sixes was to destroy the probe, thus supporting the 'parallel timeline' theory. That they're not really in a parallel universe, they're in their own and effecting their own future.

the sixes are either there to make something happen to influence the future, or they're the idealists to keep Taylor's supporters from influencing the future.

they didn't say what part of the planet they were on....and I have no idea how long certain resources are in place...but what if, let's say, the kimberly diamond mine was in place and they raid it and send all those diamonds to the future? Or gold or whatever.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i hope they make it so snookie and the jersey shore cast are all run over by dumptrucks

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                  According to the show they have travelled back in time but it's a parallel universe that they arrive in.... Now that wouldn't affect people in the present on their universe but what about the one they arrive in?

And if we had the same thing happen to us in our universe would there be a ripple effect back to us now?
                  If you subscribe to the grandfather paradox theory on time travel, yes it would.

You're assuming there were any people in that future.
                  We're also assuming that they did actually travel back in time, and simply didn't cross over to a parallel universe 85 million years behind ours (there's a hint in the final scene about the planets not being in the same place, answered as movement of the planets over time, but could also mean Terra Nova isn't in the same universe).

I'm really, personally, starting to hate the way writers are ignoring the grandfather paradox in time travel stories, at least this lot have tried to explain it away with the "different time stream", but I'll be far more impressed if later in the series we find that they didn't actually travel back in time at all.

Overall I enjoyed it apart from the very poor continuity throughout some scenes, but I doubt it'll last on those numbers if they half like scifi usually does 2nd week.

Comment

i wonder....what if they're on mars? The mars of ancient time when it was habitable?

or...in this fantasy world, they left mars to live on ancient earth?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      i wonder....what if they're on mars? The mars of ancient time when it was habitable?

or...in this fantasy world, they left mars to live on ancient earth?
                      It is very possible that they are just on another Planet, but how high are the chances that there are Dinosaurs on that Planet or a Moon like ours?
                      Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                      Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                      There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                        It is very possible that they are just on another Planet, but how high are the chances that there are Dinosaurs on that Planet or a Moon like ours?
                        Traveling to mars past would be counter-productive. They may as well go back in time to earth if they can travel back in time. But having traveled to a different planet similar to earth is quite possible and interesting. At the moment, nothing contradicts that possibility.
                        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

good point. the dinosaurs could very well be on another planet, but the moon might not be

sigpic

Comment

I'm going to watch it now and chart my reactions:

Crappy moon CG!
                            The world looks more than on the verge, if it's turned brown...
                            Good city CG.
                            He looks far too white to be their kid.
                            England represent.
                            Having kids with American accents must be so depressing.
                            Stupid kid. Where's the chloroform when you need it?
                            Comedy punch. Sooo fake. Soap worthy xD
                            Not buying that fight scene. Should have hired Bambam.
                            Looks like they're using the same cameras used for stuff like Spooks, Outcasts etc.
                            Lax prison security xD
                            A family is four? Not as hardcore as the Chinese then...
                            Wait, they're continuously sending people to Terra Nova? I hope this won't be a serious where the writers conveniently forget about causality...
                            Josh is going to be dumb and annoying. I can feel it in my bones.
                            I hope the prison break-out, facility break-in doesn't turn out to be as pointless as it seems
                            Little bit high on the cheese factor thus far.
                            Also director, if you want slow-mo, use the right camera for it. I don't want to be able to spot the frames changing, thanks.
                            Aaaah i hear the smoke monster! Wait, wrong show...
                            There was a lot more random steam floating about in those days. Fact.
                            Welcome to Pandora... er Terra Nova!
                            I knew he was going to be annoying. Cliché alert.
                            A dinosaur! All is forgiven.
                            I wonder if we'll see them mix cement in a pelican...
                            The bodies not being used to sunlight/air/real food thing was a nice touch.
                            I can't believe they sent Sputnik back in time.
                            Causality fixed. Nice. Not sure I like the phrase 'time stream' though.
                            Centipede lawl
                            Comedy fall + I'm OK... meh
                            Emo Josh. I hope you and you massive eyebrows get eaten by a dinosaur, or at least severely injured.
                            "You can't just come back after all this time" Yeah he can, didn't you see the karate and the portal? Dumbass xD
                            Jailbait in a bikini. Cool.
                            He better not save the leader in a clichéd manner winning his trust.
                            He just saved the leader in a clichéd manner probably winning his trust. "Let's take a drive" added for good measure.
                            Not many dinosaurs so far, but at least the teenagers have their love interests sorted out!
                            6ers? Mixed feelings. Seems a bit to early to have an outside antagonist, a human one at least.
                            Dino attack. Nice.
                            Uh oh, this is turning into a Syfy movie...
                            How did they get their hands on Brody's still?
                            This isn't going to work. The dino scenes look too silly.
                            The guy with the strobe needs to be fired. Flashes of light about 5 seconds after he stopped firing xD
                            I find it difficult to believe that a wild animal would ignore that gunfire.
                            Ruh roh, Tasha looks like she's heading for a clichéd cowardly scarper death. Shame, she was one of least annoying young 'uns.
                            The action scene in this show and Falling Skies really make me appreciate the work done by the Stargate production team.

Overall not a disaster, but I'm pretty disappointed. I couldn't really single out anything that was great about the show, beyond the concept itself it all just seems a bit 'meh'.

Comment

This ended up being quite a bit better than I hoped it would be. I will definitely be tuning in next week. My wife might even be interested in giving it a shot.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

If the two times have contact with each other will there be a constant resupply effort? Can they get more supplies, fuel, ammo or will they have to make their own? Can they get bigger guns because what they have is crap.
                                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X