Sam, Interrupted (511)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
    anyone else tired of Sam and Dean being depressed all the time?
    this season is too sad imo
    The apocalypse is coming. I'd be depressed too if I was a part of its oncoming, which both Dean and Sam are.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
      Great first episode back. Man did I miss this show. I so thought I had things figured out early on, but was so wrong. This one definitely threw a few curve balls, no doubt about that.
      I concur 110%! Excellent 1st episode back! I liked the curve balls...I thought it was gonna be the doctor. But then again...that'd be to easy to figure out.

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
      I'll write my usual length review when a get a chance (and once I've watched it a couple more times!). For right now, the short version:

Liked it a WHOLE lot, but don't think I could say I loved it. Mostly because the end seemed rushed, specifically Sam's and Dean's emo issues brought up this week. I'm thinking that this might be one of those episodes that I will have to reserve a final judgement on until I can see how the rest of the season plays out. I want to see where, if anywhere, these new insights that the boys gained lead them in upcoming episodes. I'm trusting in Kripke not to just let them fall by the wayside.
      ROFL...emo issues. Good way to put it!

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
      anyone else tired of Sam and Dean being depressed all the time?
      this season is too sad imo
      Well, you try having the weight of the world on your shoulders and see if you're not a tad bit depressed!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
        Well, you try having the weight of the world on your shoulders and see if you're not a tad bit depressed!
        If that was me, I would probably always have a bottle in my hand. Maybe one in each.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
          If that was me, I would probably always have a bottle in my hand. Maybe one in each.
          and a pill bottle in your pocket?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by queen_hathor View Post
            I need a re-watch of the ep, as at this stage I have some issues with it. There were some funny bits (particularly stoned Sam and 'pudding' ), though overall there's definitely been better eps. I thought Jensen and Jared did a really good job, and I just hope that the later eps will pick up on some of the emotional stuff which has needed to be addressed since this time last season ... particularly since Jump the shark and Dean's issues with John. We didn't get to hear any of what Dean said to his 'doctor' ...

I'll come back when I'm feeling more positive!
            OK, I've had my re-watch and I have to say that I'm still not much more positive than I was before!

I thought the ep was disappointing given all the waiting we've had to do. By that I mean that the ep didn't further the story whatsoever IMO. We're at the halfway point in a story that was due to finish this season, and as such, I would've expected at this stage to be given more to go on. We had a big dramatic cliffhanger ending waiting for Death to arrive, and then we get an ep that would've been better suited towards the start of the season. It's what I'd class as a filler ep; and at this point, I want more.

Sam - it doesn't take a genius to work out that Sam has anger issues, he's been getting angrier for what, 2 seasons now? Old news I'm afraid. Of course, it's hitting home so much more now, how much he messed up in S4, so he's bound to be angry; but Much as I like Sam, in this ep he struck me as the whiny brat he was in the early days. Yes, he has every right to be depressed and angry, but unless he's going to suck it up and get on with saving the world, there's no point b*tching about it... it's not getting us anywhere.

I thought it was a nice touch that even though he was high as a kite, that he was still trying to reassure Dean (and most likely, himself) that everything was ok, and that he loves him.

Was it just me, or did anyone else half expect him to send the letter opener flying into the Wraith's back when she was fighting with Dean? I know he hasn't used his powers in ages, but the way the camera showed him, then the opener, then the fighting ...

Dean - I think they laid Dean's 'craziness' on a bit thick tbh and it kind of got on my nerves, as we've not seen him scared like that - he has anger issues too, and when he's been scared in the past, he's shown that usually in a violent way. It upset me to see him that weak, for want of a better word. I find it difficult to comprehend how a man who survived Hell could be turned into something so jittery so easily. We know he has many issues, but it just didn't seem to fit. I can't really explain it, it just doesn't feel right!

I didn't dislike the ep, there were some funny and touching moments in it, but overall, I'm just disappointed. Hopefully Swap meat will bring more storyline!

sigpic

Comment

*Hands Queen Hathor a happy pill*
              sigpic

Comment

*Hands Queen Hathor a happy pill*
                Thanks! *takes pill*

sigpic

Comment

Thanks! *takes pill*
                  No problem!
                  sigpic

Comment

No problem!
                    Well I'm happier now... still feel the same about the ep, but I'm happier!

sigpic

Comment

Sorry, way too much going on this weekend for a proper re-watch. I'm just going to go from memory here with the 1 1/2 times I watched it (the 1/2 watch was fast forwarding to the parts the 4-yr-old was allowed to see....not too much in this one!). This probably will be more rambling than a nice organised review :

I still am not in love with the episode. Of course, stuck watching other shows for 9 weeks, it only goes to show you how good SPN is, because I still enjoyed this more than anything I watched over the hiatus!

I was mainly disappointed that the continuing story arc part of the episode was shoved in there as an afterthought. I would have liked to see it addressed more. Reminds me of Family Remains, another back-from-the-hiatus episode that was fine monster-of-the-week ep, but barely touched on the big cliffhanger we were left with (in that case, the fact that Dean spent ten years in hell torturing people). The wraith was a cool monster, no doubt, but the bigger picture was kind of lost.

Ok, what did I like? Quite a bit in spite of what I just said:

-I am probably the only person who didn't like "Pudding". It was such the obvious joke, and so OTT, I just kind of groaned. But for some reason, I thought "I don't know. I don't have any elephant books." was HILARIOUS!! Something about Jensen's delivery there just cracks me up. That is the one part I have rewatched half a dozen times. He treats the line like he is saying something so normal, and it's so odd!

-I liked when they were first talking with the doctor how Dean explained that the apocalypse wasn't Sam's fault. How he was just 'high' , and also loved when he patted Sam on the arm. I know some of that was an act, but I still got the impression that FINALLY Dean believes it. Also related to that, I was happy (?) that his subconscious, the doctor-lady, brought up that he broke the first seal. I like this reiterated because it puts the blame on both brothers again, which I find more interesting than one blaming the other.

-Another brotherly moment: the doctor saying that they seem unhealthily co-dependent on each other. That made me smile, because it's true and it's what makes them so sweet together. And if the doctor can see their reliance on each other, it's shows how far they've come since their rift at the beginning of the season.

-MORE brotherly concern: Sam saying he has been worried about Dean since Jo and Ellen were killed. Nice that he is paying attention. And personally, I liked Dean's brush-off because, to me, that is exactly how Dean WOULD react. Like he did when John died. I like a little slow growth in my characters, but I don't want them to change into a completely new character unrecognisable from the old.

-More long-term continuity: I like High-Sam saying that Dean hasn't been the same since returning from hell, and maybe even before that. Very true. Also nice to hear him say he loves him, even if he is stoned when he says it!

-While it's true that Sam's been angry for a while, I like that Sam realises it here. And that he realises it goes all the way back to being angry at Dean and his Dad years and years ago.

-Dean being afraid. I too thought the fear was a little overdone, but I DO believe that this is true to Dean. I have always seen Dean as using anger to try and mask his fear. While I see Sam trying to use rationality to mask an underlying anger. So liked this 'revelation' (we viewers are way ahead of the boys here on seeing their flaws! ), but as I said, I thought Dean's part was a little too much. Ooh! And I LOVED his talks with the 'doctor'. The way they bounced their questions back and forth, the mention of Dean's sleeping and drinking patterns (a little continuity touch that I was thrilled to see revisited), and the whole conversation while Dean was watching the mirror (totally irrelevant sidenote: Jensen looked absolutely gorgeous in this scene! ).

-Liked Martin, but what about how they left him?! I know he was in the mental hospital for good reason, but isn't he still going to get blamed for attacking Wendy? Shouldn't they have gotten him out, too?

That's all I can think of for now. I probably should have watched it all the way through a second time before posting, but I think you all get the general gist!

Summary: Well acted, as always, liked the new monster, couple funny points, couple of good insights. But those insights were too rushed and it messed with the overall pacing. I always like how SPN can do comedy, scary, and insightful equally well, but here the combination wasn't equally balanced, and it brought a potentially wonderful episode down to a 'that was pretty good.' for me. Maybe a 7 out of 10?

Comment

Sorry, way too much going on this weekend for a proper re-watch. I'm just going to go from memory here with the 1 1/2 times I watched it (the 1/2 watch was fast forwarding to the parts the 4-yr-old was allowed to see....not too much in this one!). This probably will be more rambling than a nice organised review :

I still am not in love with the episode. Of course, stuck watching other shows for 9 weeks, it only goes to show you how good SPN is, because I still enjoyed this more than anything I watched over the hiatus!

I was mainly disappointed that the continuing story arc part of the episode was shoved in there as an afterthought. I would have liked to see it addressed more. Reminds me of Family Remains, another back-from-the-hiatus episode that was fine monster-of-the-week ep, but barely touched on the big cliffhanger we were left with (in that case, the fact that Dean spent ten years in hell torturing people). The wraith was a cool monster, no doubt, but the bigger picture was kind of lost.

Ok, what did I like? Quite a bit in spite of what I just said:

-I am probably the only person who didn't like "Pudding". It was such the obvious joke, and so OTT, I just kind of groaned. But for some reason, I thought "I don't know. I don't have any elephant books." was HILARIOUS!! Something about Jensen's delivery there just cracks me up. That is the one part I have rewatched half a dozen times. He treats the line like he is saying something so normal, and it's so odd!

-I liked when they were first talking with the doctor how Dean explained that the apocalypse wasn't Sam's fault. How he was just 'high' , and also loved when he patted Sam on the arm. I know some of that was an act, but I still got the impression that FINALLY Dean believes it. Also related to that, I was happy (?) that his subconscious, the doctor-lady, brought up that he broke the first seal. I like this reiterated because it puts the blame on both brothers again, which I find more interesting than one blaming the other.

-Another brotherly moment: the doctor saying that they seem unhealthily co-dependent on each other. That made me smile, because it's true and it's what makes them so sweet together. And if the doctor can see their reliance on each other, it's shows how far they've come since their rift at the beginning of the season.

-MORE brotherly concern: Sam saying he has been worried about Dean since Jo and Ellen were killed. Nice that he is paying attention. And personally, I liked Dean's brush-off because, to me, that is exactly how Dean WOULD react. Like he did when John died. I like a little slow growth in my characters, but I don't want them to change into a completely new character unrecognisable from the old.

-More long-term continuity: I like High-Sam saying that Dean hasn't been the same since returning from hell, and maybe even before that. Very true. Also nice to hear him say he loves him, even if he is stoned when he says it!

-While it's true that Sam's been angry for a while, I like that Sam realises it here. And that he realises it goes all the way back to being angry at Dean and his Dad years and years ago.

-Dean being afraid. I too thought the fear was a little overdone, but I DO believe that this is true to Dean. I have always seen Dean as using anger to try and mask his fear. While I see Sam trying to use rationality to mask an underlying anger. So liked this 'revelation' (we viewers are way ahead of the boys here on seeing their flaws! ), but as I said, I thought Dean's part was a little too much. Ooh! And I LOVED his talks with the 'doctor'. The way they bounced their questions back and forth, the mention of Dean's sleeping and drinking patterns (a little continuity touch that I was thrilled to see revisited), and the whole conversation while Dean was watching the mirror (totally irrelevant sidenote: Jensen looked absolutely gorgeous in this scene! ).

-Liked Martin, but what about how they left him?! I know he was in the mental hospital for good reason, but isn't he still going to get blamed for attacking Wendy? Shouldn't they have gotten him out, too?

That's all I can think of for now. I probably should have watched it all the way through a second time before posting, but I think you all get the general gist!

Summary: Well acted, as always, liked the new monster, couple funny points, couple of good insights. But those insights were too rushed and it messed with the overall pacing. I always like how SPN can do comedy, scary, and insightful equally well, but here the combination wasn't equally balanced, and it brought a potentially wonderful episode down to a 'that was pretty good.' for me. Maybe a 7 out of 10?
                        Good review...
                        sigpic

Comment

Damn Crich, how can you remember so much when I forget things as soon as I've seen them?

That's a great ramble, I'll come back to it tomorrow... far too tired to put anything coherent together atm!

sigpic

Comment

Damn Crich, how can you remember so much when I forget things as soon as I've seen them?

That's a great ramble, I'll come back to it tomorrow... far too tired to put anything coherent together atm!
                            Thanks! Although, it's a little sad that these ARE the things in life I remember!

Comment

Thanks! Although, it's a little sad that these ARE the things in life I remember!
                              Don't feel sad...I've been called a source of useless information
                              sigpic

Comment

Don't feel sad...I've been called a source of useless information
                                We all have our areas of expertise ... that's why these discussions are great because we all remember bits and bobs... put it all together and hey presto!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X