Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
    Here are the story points I enjoyed:
    -Bringing back the Colt into the storyline. I know it is an iffy prop for the writers because it can be that 'too powerful' deus ex machina. But I always had a soft spot for that weapon. Query (and I know it's been asked before here): Could the Colt really kill Lucifer since Ruby's demon-killing knife has no effect on angels?
    Lore behind the Colt is that it can kill anything. Until they shoot an angel we won't know if it works against them or not. I fear that Castiel might end up meeting his fate this way. I don't see Cas making it past this season...not even to just return to Heaven when all is said and done.

Demon knife is for well...demons.

Dean: Why would the demons keep a gun around that kills demons? (Great question, even if they didn't answer it, because the viewer is going to ask the same thing!)
    Now that I think about it, they need the Colt to kill Michael...or they think it will do the trick.

The Colt is supposed to be able to kill anything. Angels...and supposedly not demons...are the only thing that can kill another angel. So in theory Lucifer, an angel, should be able to kill Michael, but the other little demon minions can't. Maybe they want the Colt around for insurance or to play dirty...shoot Michael in the back, etc. etc.

-Sam calling Dean. And right away dispelling any fear we all had that he would hide from Dean the fact that he was Lucifer's vessel. And the non-reaction from Dean was perfect, because honestly, how many more times can they be shocked before it becomes commonplace!
    I thought this was great. Have it out in the open from the get go.

-I thought the way Zach tracked down Dean was actually amazingly clever.
    Ditto. Writers did a great job with that detail.

-Bringing back the Croatoan storyline. Although I am not as sure about the 'Dean being infected' thing as some of you are. I thought upon first viewing that Dean was definitely cut, but when I rewatched it carefully, I couldn't tell. The grimace could have just been his reaction to being attacked in general. There was no blood shown, and no evidence of a tear in his jacket throughout the episode. Also, the blood would have had to mingle with the girl's blood, right? She was bleeding out her mouth, but I didn't see any of her blood on the kinfe. But as it was so unclear, an argument could be made either way, and I won't be crying 'foul' if they bring up his immunity later.
    Well I'm not positive she got him either, but since this was dealing with the virus story, I would have thought they would have made it clearer whether he got cut or not...have him lift up his shirt or something.

Though maybe it wouldn't matter anyway as Zach would supposedly not let anything happen to '09 Dean anyway. But you still have to wonder how future Dean survived all that time in zombieland without ever getting infected. I know Dean is good, but he's not that good. Thus I lean toward the idea that Dean is naturally immune.

-I didn't like stoned Castiel. I thought here he was over the top for the first time. The only parts I liked were that he knew Dean wasn't from 2014 and how amused he was by the two Deans fighting. The good thing about my not liking him, was that I appreciated the 'real' Castiel that much more when we return to 2009. The return of his stillness and naivete at the end are comforting.
    Not too sure Dean liked it either.

Meh, wasn't really into stoned Cas either. My first thought was he's become Baltar from BSG with the harem of women. lol.
    Last edited by LoneStar1836; 03 October 2009, 11:02 AM.
    IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
      Well I'm not positive she got him either, but since this was dealing with the virus story, I would have thought they would have made it clearer whether he got cut or not...have him lift up his shirt or something.

Though maybe it wouldn't matter anyway as Zach would supposedly not let anything happen to '09 Dean anyway. But you still have to wonder how future Dean survived all that time in zombieland without ever getting infected. I know Dean is good, but he's not that good. Thus I lean toward the idea that Dean is naturally immune.
      I doubt that Dean is immune. As Crichiel said, you need to get blood of an infected person into your own system to become infected, which was not the case whether Dean was stabbed or not. Also, I can imagine 2014Dean being careful enough not to have this happen in 5 years. We're not talking about an airborne virus here. What I'm wondering, though, is whether 2009Dean had some kind of immunity or self-healing power while he was in this different 'time zone'. Not only was that cut never mentioned again - and I'm pretty sure she did get him, given the sounds during the scuffle - but there was also not the slightest mark on his face after 2014Dean decked him. Maybe Zach put some kind of mojo on him to keep Michael's precious vessel safe.

BTW, did you notice that when Dean looked out of the hotel room at the disaster area below the cinema display said 'Now showing - Route 666'? That would mean the Chuck's books made it big some time between 2009 and when the Croatoan virus hit, and at least one of them even got made into a movie.

One thing I must admit bugged me just a little was Cas' impeccable timing in pulling Dean out of harms way - again. Does he have premonitions when Dean is in danger? Or was it just coincidence as he claims? But then, Dean said 'tomorrow morning', and it was still dark when they ended up on the nondescript street. And how come that he can't heal Bobby, but he can whisk a body through thin air? But as I said, no major complaints here. With all the brilliant stuff going on I forgive the writers for cutting a corner once in a while.

sigpic
      Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

Originally posted by starg8fans View Post
        I doubt that Dean is immune. As Crichiel said, you need to get blood of an infected person into your own system to become infected, which was not the case whether Dean was stabbed or not. Also, I can imagine 2014Dean being careful enough not to have this happen in 5 years. We're not talking about an airborne virus here. What I'm wondering, though, is whether 2009Dean had some kind of immunity or self-healing power while he was in this different 'time zone'. Not only was that cut never mentioned again - and I'm pretty sure she did get him, given the sounds during the scuffle - but there was also not the slightest mark on his face after 2014Dean decked him. Maybe Zach put some kind of mojo on him to keep Michael's precious vessel safe.
        I think it's a blood line thing. There have been enough hints on the show to suggest that, imo. I know they suggested heavily in the past that the stuff with Sam was due to YED dripping blood in his mouth as a baby, but as time went on, they have branched out a bit more suggesting that there were reasons Mary was chosen. Like with Jimmy and his daughter.

I know it's not airborne, but the way they talked was that areas were inundated with Croats. If they are going to physically get out there to gather supplies, reconnaissance, etc., they are going to eventually get into situations where they bite off more than they can chew and somebody is going to get hurt and blood exchanged (as that seems to be a goal of the zombies...infect others...and not just eat them for their brains ...so it stands to reason there could have been blood on the knife already). Just don't see how future Dean could have avoided contamination all that time. Not saying it's not impossible, but it does make me wonder.

If nothing comes of it, I won't really care because it doesn't seem to be very important in the current story line anyway. Though if infecting people is part of the demon/Lucifer endgame, then those immune to it are very important in the future. We'll have to wait and see if it pops up again. But it's still fun to speculate.

BTW, did you notice that when Dean looked out of the hotel room at the disaster area below the cinema display said 'Now showing - Route 666'? That would mean the Chuck's books made it big some time between 2009 and when the Croatoan virus hit, and at least one of them even got made into a movie.
        lol. No, I didn't notice that. Good catch.

Heh. Things had gotten bad enough that even one of the worst, imo, episode of Supernatural was being shown as a movie as a little inside joke...rather than maybe the obvious thing of 666 being the sign of the devil.
        Last edited by LoneStar1836; 03 October 2009, 03:12 PM.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

And how come that he can't heal Bobby, but he can whisk a body through thin air?
          The whole healing thing is puzzling me. I recently saw "on the head of a pin" again, and Dean was really hurt there, so hurt that he needed to get artificial respiration at first and oxygen later on. And Cas did exactly nothing to heal him. So he was either not able or not allowed to do healing back then.
          I wonder if we'll get an explanation for that at some point.
          The cake is a lie!

Comment

I did a frame by frame look at the little girl attacking Dean at the beginning..I don't think she got a chance to cut him.

The girl didn't get the shard close enough to him. She attacked him twice. The first time her arm is hidden out of view but with her small arm reach it's unlikely she got to him. The second time you can clearly see Dean manoeuvre himself out of the way. Also there's no blood on the weapon in the cap after Dean knocked her out and no damage that we can see to his clothing. It's not impossible she pierced him slightly but he does have three layers of clothing on his top half... so I'm guessing I know, but I think not.

Maybe that look of concern he had afterwards was a bit of panic..him checking just in case.

Spoiler:

Last edited by LizzieAnne; 04 October 2009, 02:59 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

I loved this episode. I thought it was the best one this season so far. It was funny seeing Cass as a love guru lol

Comment

This episode kind of blew me away. Really great stuff.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I think it's a blood line thing. There have been enough hints on the show to suggest that, imo. I know they suggested heavily in the past that the stuff with Sam was due to YED dripping blood in his mouth as a baby, but as time went on, they have branched out a bit more suggesting that there were reasons Mary was chosen. Like with Jimmy and his daughter.
                  You're thinking something like the Ancient gene? It's definitely a possibility.

I know it's not airborne, but the way they talked was that areas were inundated with Croats. If they are going to physically get out there to gather supplies, reconnaissance, etc., they are going to eventually get into situations where they bite off more than they can chew and somebody is going to get hurt and blood exchanged (as that seems to be a goal of the zombies...infect others...and not just eat them for their brains ...so it stands to reason there could have been blood on the knife already). Just don't see how future Dean could have avoided contamination all that time. Not saying it's not impossible, but it does make me wonder.

If nothing comes of it, I won't really care because it doesn't seem to be very important in the current story line anyway. Though if infecting people is part of the demon/Lucifer endgame, then those immune to it are very important in the future. We'll have to wait and see if it pops up again. But it's still fun to speculate.
                  Dean was trained as hunter and knows how to take care of himself. There are lots of other people who are not infected yet - I mean, they're still publishing newspapers - so why not him? And talking about speculation, did you think the soldiers blowing the Croats away were also infected, or were they just following orders?

lol. No, I didn't notice that. Good catch.

Heh. Things had gotten bad enough that even one of the worst, imo, episode of Supernatural was being shown as a movie as a little inside joke...rather than maybe the obvious thing of 666 being the sign of the devil.
                  I think the 666 played a bit part in it. That and the fact that there was some romantic (and erotic) interest for Dean in that episode, which would have to be a part of any movie that was made about the boys.

Originally posted by iolanda View Post
                  The whole healing thing is puzzling me. I recently saw "on the head of a pin" again, and Dean was really hurt there, so hurt that he needed to get artificial respiration at first and oxygen later on. And Cas did exactly nothing to heal him. So he was either not able or not allowed to do healing back then.
                  I wonder if we'll get an explanation for that at some point.
                  For now I'm going with the notion that they didn't want Cas to get even closer to Dean. So when he said "I can't" it meant he was under orders not to interfere.

Originally posted by LizzieAnne View Post
                  I did a frame by frame look at the little girl attacking Dean at the beginning..I don't think she got a chance to cut him.

The girl didn't get the shard close enough to him. She attacked him twice. The first time her arm is hidden out of view but with her small arm reach it's unlikely she got to him. The second time you can clearly see Dean manoeuvre himself out of the way. Also there's no blood on the weapon in the cap after Dean knocked her out and no damage that we can see to his clothing. It's not impossible she pierced him slightly but he does have three layers of clothing on his top half... so I'm guessing I know, but I think not.

Maybe that look of concern he had afterwards was a bit of panic..him checking just in case.
                  It wasn't so much what you could see but the sound of the blade ripping through something. But you're right, it was probably just the clothes - although there was no tear to be seen in them either. It's probably like the scene in The Benders where another girl nails Dean to the wall with yet another blade, but again only caught his shirt and jacket.

sigpic

Comment

Dean was trained as hunter and knows how to take care of himself. There are lots of other people who are not infected yet - I mean, they're still publishing newspapers - so why not him? And talking about speculation, did you think the soldiers blowing the Croats away were also infected, or were they just following orders?
                    They definitely weren't, imo. It was a quarantine area as it was fenced off...though I don't think it was being actively enforced anymore. I think Dean lucked out that a military patrol happened by, and considering the area, they probably have orders to shoot anything that moves in areas like that which is why they were shooting at Dean as well.

And about the newspaper. I saw a screen cap of it on another site and it was published by the "Washington Herald". Looked it up and there is no such paper in existence but wiki notes it did exist a long time ago but eventually became the Washington Post. Makes sense that Washington D.C. would be a Croat free zone and still publish a paper.
                    IMO always implied.

Comment

One thing I must admit bugged me just a little was Cas' impeccable timing in pulling Dean out of harms way - again. Does he have premonitions when Dean is in danger? Or was it just coincidence as he claims? But then, Dean said 'tomorrow morning', and it was still dark when they ended up on the nondescript street. And how come that he can't heal Bobby, but he can whisk a body through thin air? But as I said, no major complaints here. With all the brilliant stuff going on I forgive the writers for cutting a corner once in a while.
                      This one niggled at me because, from the way the conversation went, Cas was supposed to meet Dean at the motel, NOT bring Dean to him in four hours. And why did he give Dean that little smile when Dean said nice timing, and respond by asking how Zachariah found him?

The way I reconciled it in my own mind (because it isn't really important to the overall story), is that I figured Castiel popped in the motel for a nanosecond to meet Dean, sussed out the situation and got Dean and himself out of there.

Comment

They definitely weren't, imo. It was a quarantine area as it was fenced off...though I don't think it was being actively enforced anymore. I think Dean lucked out that a military patrol happened by, and considering the area, they probably have orders to shoot anything that moves in areas like that which is why they were shooting at Dean as well.
                        That's my assumption as well. I think it was a nice touch to show in how many ways the virus works. Not only is it turning those infected into homicidal zombies, but the fact that this is so 'scary as hell' (Dean's words) makes unaffected people such as the soldiers act like killer machines when faced with it. So carnage all around - real Apocalypse stuff.

And about the newspaper. I saw a screen cap of it on another site and it was published by the "Washington Herald". Looked it up and there is no such paper in existence but wiki notes it did exist a long time ago but eventually became the Washington Post. Makes sense that Washington D.C. would be a Croat free zone and still publish a paper.
                        Nice piece of research there, thanks!

This one niggled at me because, from the way the conversation went, Cas was supposed to meet Dean at the motel, NOT bring Dean to him in four hours. And why did he give Dean that little smile when Dean said nice timing, and respond by asking how Zachariah found him?

The way I reconciled it in my own mind (because it isn't really important to the overall story), is that I figured Castiel popped in the motel for a nanosecond to meet Dean, sussed out the situation and got Dean and himself out of there.
                        That bit puzzles me at first too - the timing was just too perfect - but I came to the same conclusion as you. I also noticed that when Zachariah turns around you can hear the rustling of wings that usually marks the disappearance of an angel. So Cas must have popped in, seen his former 'boss' and pulled Dean out. Good thing he hasn't lost all of his mojo yet.

I also prefer this explanation to Cas being omniscient about what's happening to Dean. It would be too easy and would get boring very quickly if the angel showed up every time the situation got sticky. Especially now that he's no longer 'under orders' from above that were used before to explain why Cas did not interfere when it was necessary.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
                          I have to say that I was not at all impressed with Jared's performance as Satan in this. I don't know...it was a bit of a letdown for me. I was expecting more from him. Also, I'd like the think Sam was had a stronger character than just accepting Satan into his meatsuit, for any reason, but I can't really tell if Zachariah created that vision of the future to mess with Dean's head or if that was what could really come to pass should the brothers not reconnect. Either way, shame on you Sammy.

Jensen, however, was quite fabulous, as was Mischa. Pill popping, orgy arranging Castiel was the highlight of the episode for me.

It took me a few minutes to recognize Lexa Doig. I'm not a fan of her work but it was nice to see another SG actor on the TV.

The angels leaving earth makes me thing that they don't really want this fight so I'm wondering what their motivation is now. Why let Satan out if you not really interested in fighting him? I really do get the feeling that Michael/the angels are going to be the bad guys in the end.

I was very, very happy to see the Sam and Dean come together in the end. Dean giving Sam Ruby's knife was a pretty big "I'm trusting you, don't let me down" moment and I hope Sam can live up to it.
                          I have to agree with you Ashizuri, it was a letdown with Sam having accepted Lucifer but it is just a possibility. I hope things don't go that way because it would just kill me, all Dean's effort, all Bobby's effort. I hope Sam can live up to Dean's expectations even though past experience says otherwise.

I also hope that the Angels are just messing with Dean's head and that once they reconnect, something will have changed. I want to see Sam survive and not be Lucifer's vessel, and for Dean to lead a group of survivors against the real Lucifer, and save the world. Castiel was awesome as the guru type and it sends me back to 503 Free To Be You And Me, with Dean and Castiel in a "Den of Iniquity". Quality writing.

Again, I agree with the Angels being the bad guys in the end, but I think they always intended to let Lucifer out once Dean snapped in Hell. That to me was their trigger point, launching the whole 'End Of The World' ploy and giving them something to do while we all puzzle over what happened to God.

Epideme
                          sigpic

Comment

CW re-ran this one again last night. Still unimportant to the overall story, but I am wondering how Castiel relocated Dean at the end without touching him. They can be a little inconsistent about that, I can't quite figure out the writers' rules on this.

In On the Head of a Pin, Castiel and Uriel took Dean away without touching, but is there any other time they did so? Castiel was reaching to touch Dean in Free To Be You and Me, and same thing in Changing Channels during the Japanese game show. If the angel doesn't have to touch you, why make the effort to do so?

Just a curiosity. Enough to make me think, but not enough to annoy me!

Comment

CW re-ran this one again last night. Still unimportant to the overall story, but I am wondering how Castiel relocated Dean at the end without touching him. They can be a little inconsistent about that, I can't quite figure out the writers' rules on this.

In On the Head of a Pin, Castiel and Uriel took Dean away without touching, but is there any other time they did so? Castiel was reaching to touch Dean in Free To Be You and Me, and same thing in Changing Channels during the Japanese game show. If the angel doesn't have to touch you, why make the effort to do so?

They may just not have shown it? Since it was supposed to be a quick kind of thing to surprise Zachariah. So, he may have swooped in, seen what was going on, touched Dean and got them out?

Comment

<snipped for length>

Originally posted by Switch42 View Post
                                They may just not have shown it? Since it was supposed to be a quick kind of thing to surprise Zachariah. So, he may have swooped in, seen what was going on, touched Dean and got them out?
                                /\ What Switch said, that was my understanding as well. Here's what they said on the phone at the beginning of the ep:

Cas: "I’ll be there immediately.”
                                Dean: “Whoa whoa whoa, no no no. Come on man, I just drove like sixteen hours straight. Okay? I’m human. And there’s stuff I gotta do.”
                                Cas: “What stuff?”
                                Dean: “Eat, for example. In this case sleep. I just need like four hours once in a while, okay?”
                                Cas: “Yes.”
                                Dean: “Okay, so you can pop in tomorrow morning.”
                                Cas: “Yes.”

So Cas was supposed to come to the motel, and as Switch said, while the camera was on Zach he must have swooped in (there was that fluttering sound), realized the situation in a split second, touched Dean and took him away with him.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X