• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fight or Flight (103)

Visit the Episode GuideSUPERGIRL - SEASON ONE
    FIGHT OR FLIGHT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 103
    One of Superman's powerful enemies, Reactron, targets Kara after learning about her relation to the Man of Steel. Meanwhile, Cat plans to run an exposé on Supergirl.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 14 November 2015, 09:23 PM.

I enjoyed this ep I thought it fleshed out all the characters
    sigpic
    My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Its nice to see Kara growing. And I loved the instant messaging between Kara and Clark at the end of the episode.
      Last edited by LtColCarter; 14 November 2015, 07:07 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Way too much emo for me.

The preview for next week had something like "Can she save her love life?" or some such.

I hope that isn't the path we're on. If I wanted that, I could DVR daytime soaps.

Comment

I always hate the soap opera comment because emo or relationship stuff has always been a part of story telling since the time of myths long before radio or tv not all myths had them but a good portion did that is part of life too
          sigpic
          My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
          poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Do you remember the original series "Knight Rider" ? The voiceover intro to that contained the phrase "a lone crusader in a dangerous world", which was a accurate description of the show's central character. The show was well received, and ran 4 years, as I recall.

When someone tried a reboot of the show in 2008, they completely changed the character of the show by making what was once a "lone crusader" part of a team effort, a group of support staff, and Michael Knight in the car. In addition to the sacrilege committed by turning K.I.T.T into a freakin' Ford, I think this character change ruined the show, and contributed to it's short run.

This incarnation of Supergirl evokes the same reaction in me. Her secret identity should be known to no one, not a group of her associates from the office who help her in the background while saves the day. And working for any govt. agency just doesn't track either.

The Heroine aspect of her should remain a lone crusader, as the origin characters are.

Comment

I actually LIKe that they are making it into a team effort myself.

Comment

Likewise.

The lone hero thing has been done before countless times. Superman being the main one. Ultimately it's boring. It's boring watching a single person go it alone and have the inevitable "Oh no, what if someone learns my secret identity" nonsense.

In fact if anything the show would be even more emo if the show was like that because Kara would forever be dealing with problems to do with her personal life going off the rails for all the usual cliches of running late for work or running off in the middle of dates and blah blah blah. In other words, watch Smallville.

Supergirl however has made herself far more interesting by having a team. She does after all have all the same powers as superman and is potentially just as powerful which means that going it alone hardly has any impact on her at all (although thankfully they seem to have scaled down her power a bit). But by having a team around her they can deal with the emotional impact of any particular situation, not only on her but on those people around her, and also giving an actual sense of risk since they can be put in harms way. She can't die after all, her name is on the title screen, but anything the writers want can happen to the other characters. Even Jimmy.

The only downside to the team dynamic is that it does already feel a bit team Arrow and team Flash-esque. But I still like the team she has around her so that's a small thing.

On another note... Director Henshaw: WHAT'S WITH THE RED EYES!? Is he Kryptonian? Could he be Zod? I'm thinking Zod. But then again we already have a Kryptonian big bad so who else could he be?
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

So far, Supergirl isn't anywhere near Superman as far as using their abilities goes. The difference is like night and day.

I attribute this to Superman having spent years in isolation at the Fortress of Solitude learning about himself, his abilities, Earth and it's people from the memory crystals Jor-El stashed in the ship that brought baby Kal-El to Earth. If I recall, he went to the FOS around age 17 or so after Pa and Ma Clark passed and emerged in his 20's as Superman/Clark Kent. At least this is how the 1978 Christopher Reeve film had it.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                    So far, Supergirl isn't anywhere near Superman as far as using their abilities goes. The difference is like night and day.

I attribute this to Superman having spent years in isolation at the Fortress of Solitude learning about himself, his abilities, Earth and it's people from the memory crystals Jor-El stashed in the ship that brought baby Kal-El to Earth. If I recall, he went to the FOS around age 17 or so after Pa and Ma Clark passed and emerged in his 20's as Superman/Clark Kent. At least this is how the 1978 Christopher Reeve film had it.
                    That is true. Not to mention he's been absorbing the yellow sun for far longer. Kara's been on Earth for what? 10 years? Vs Superman's 30+. I'm assuming that's helped him increase in power.

Comment

The Heroine aspect of her should remain a lone crusader, as the origin characters are.
                      I think the team is an artifact of the TV medium. Bit tough to do exposition with a character just talking to herself.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                        On another note... Director Henshaw: WHAT'S WITH THE RED EYES!? Is he Kryptonian? Could he be Zod? I'm thinking Zod. But then again we already have a Kryptonian big bad so who else could he be?
                        That's what I wanna know...
                        sigpic

Comment

But the world of superheroes has changed since the olden days. The characters behind the mask are more important than the mask now. DC are trying to catch up with Marvel and part of that is developing both the hero and the civilian sides of the character. It's why Marvel is so successful. Batman is so easily recastable because the suit is what is important. Any actor with a big enough chin can fill it, same with Superman, but there can only be one Tony Stark, no matter who is in the armour.

The lone crusader days are over.The character behind the powers needs to be developed as well in order to make the character relatable. Otherwise it's just 45 minutes of a tight suit flying around throwing special effects at other tight suits with their own effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                            The lone crusader days are over.
                            I concur!
                            sigpic

Comment

Also the comic characters aren't lone crusaders anyway. They start out that way and have their own turf but they're all in groups like the Justice league or Teen Titans.

Comment

Working...
                              X