Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least none of the shows have tried to make a lead character be LGBTQRS..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      At least none of the shows have tried to make a lead character be LGBTQRS..
      And your point being?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
        I initially liked Sanvers, but it essentially became a token gay couple.
        Queerbaiting 101 -- like I mentioned.

However, Alex coming out will always have a special place no matter what -- something highly relatable which I have yet to find in any other show I have watched or watch.

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
        As for Karmel, well I have issues with the type of person they wrote Mon- El as and wasn 't happy they'd pair that kind of guy with our resident superhero.
        What kind of guy might that be?

Originally posted by pjt View Post
        And your point being?
        He doesn't want to see romance, and least of all LGBT.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          Who did not respect women at all, felt threatened by Supergirl, and by the end of his "road of redemption", he still just barely tolerates women, and knows zero about Kara. Just compare his reaction of Kara being fired last season and the reaction of her friends and family this season when she quit.

I personally saw zero chemistry between Kara and James, but at least it didn't bother me. Or when they brought in Cat's son, it was kinda cute (well that ship has sailed now). More so it looks like they want to pair James with Lena now, but I really hope I'm wrong about that.

Kara so far had the best chemistry with women, she even had better chemistry with Lucy than with James or Mon-El.

I kinda got that, but since his wording fell in a category that can be best described as "no too nice", I thought maybe a clarification would help.

As for wishing for superhero leads not to be LGBT, I kinda chuckle at that. I mean Supergirl is not human but she is expected to date human males, because she is the female of the Kryptonian species. But okay then, since the show is using Supergirl to show us a strong and independent woman, and she is that regardless of her species, and they want us to forget that she is not human, and we often do forget that because that helps identifying with her. But then if we more or less regard her as human, with some superpowers we all would like to have, is the only way to portray a strong and independent woman that she dates exclusively men? To me this makes zero sense.
          sigpic

Comment

Who did not respect women at all, felt threatened by Supergirl, and by the end of his "road of redemption", he still just barely tolerates women, and knows zero about Kara. Just compare his reaction of Kara being fired last season and the reaction of her friends and family this season when she quit.
            Mon-El starts as a rich, spoiled brat sure... but he evolves. Unless, I have been watching an entirely different show. *shrug*

I have far more issues with James than I do with Mon-El.

More so it looks like they want to pair James with Lena now, but I really hope I'm wrong about that.
            She's his boss now. It's probably going to be a flirt here and there, but I definitely can't see it.

But okay then, since the show is using Supergirl to show us a strong and independent woman, and she is that regardless of her species, and they want us to forget that she is not human, and we often do forget that because that helps identifying with her. But then if we more or less regard her as human, with some superpowers we all would like to have, is the only way to portray a strong and independent woman that she dates exclusively men? To me this makes zero sense.
            It doesn't make sense, but it's the norm in television.

Comment

It doesn't make sense, but it's the norm in television.
              And it will be like that while people who demand it are louder than those who don't agree.

As for James and Lena, I hope you're right, but if a character looks at a another character of the opposite sex, like James looked at Lena, it usually means they'll hook up sooner or later. At least people are jumping to conclusions and making me paranoid.
              sigpic

Comment

And your point being?
                As for wishing for superhero leads not to be LGBT, I kinda chuckle at that.
                Its more that we ALREADY get enough Pro-lgbtqurs in nearly all the other shows during primetime on the other networks.. I don't want it to spoil everything i want to watch...
                Last edited by garhkal; 19 October 2017, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Queerbaiting 101 -- like I mentioned.

However, Alex coming out will always have a special place no matter what -- something highly relatable which I have yet to find in any other show I have watched or watch.
                  I liked the coming out story. Thought it was well done. Then after that they were pretty much forgotten about

Misogynist, Egotistcal, liar, coward, manipulative. didn't respect or trust her. Became jealous and possessive. See's nothing wrong in objectifying women. It was pretty much a toxic relationship, I'd hate to think young girls think this kind of relationship is the norm or okay. But then I expect nothing less from showrunners who got rid of Kara/ James because it wasn't "dramatic enough "

So essentially a good relationship is boring and a bad relationship is exciting.
                  sigpic

Comment

I want to know what Linda was watching because it wasn't Supergirl. Maybe her memory is failing again
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Its more that we ALREADY get enough Pro-lgbtqurs in nearly all the other shows during primetime on the other networks.. I don't want it to spoil everything i want to watch...
                      I appreciate your honesty, and value your opinion, Disagree with it, but value it. Who's "we" by the way?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        I want to know what Linda was watching because it wasn't Supergirl. Maybe her memory is failing again
                        I get it that Chris Wood is cute, and probably a very nice guy. He was terrific as Kai in TVD, sometimes I almost rooted for him. Well until he stabbed his pregnant sister on her wedding day. Still I prefer him to Mon-El.
                        sigpic

Comment

That is a distinct possibility but serwiously, I think the writing in season 2 for most of the characters as pretty poor
                          sigpic

Comment

That is a pure opinion. Think what you want about the season. Your analysis of Mon-El however is inaccurate
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Last I remembered (but I could be wrong cause I always use the short version) there's no U, in the LGBT-lettersoup...

However, as far as LGBTQ representation goes, you exagerate its presence wildly.

The GLAAD report from 2016 on LGBTQ representation on Television:

GLAAD - Where We Are on TV Report - 2016

The highlights:

* Of the 895 series regular characters expected to appear on broadcast scripted primetime programming in the coming year, 43 (4.8%) were identified as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer. This is the highest percentage of LGBTQ series regulars GLAAD has ever found. There were an additional 28 recurring LGBTQ characters.

* The number of regular LGBTQ characters counted on scripted primetime cable series increased from 84 to 92, while recurring characters decreased from 58 to 50. This is a total of 142 LGBTQ characters, regular and recurring.

* GLAAD also counted LGBTQ characters on original series that premiered on Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix. GLAAD found 45 series regulars and 20 recurring LGBTQ characters for a total of 65 characters. This is up from last year's inaugural streaming count of 59 LGBTQ characters (43 regular and 16 recurring).

* The number of regular and recurring transgender characters across all three platforms tracked has more than doubled, from seven characters last year to 16. There are three trans characters counted on broadcast, six on cable, and seven on streaming original series. Of the 16 characters, four are transgender men.

* Lesbian representation dropped dramatically on broadcast television, down 16 percentage points to 17% of all LGBTQ characters. Lesbian representation is also down on cable, to 20% from 22% reported last year.

* Bisexual representations on broadcast rose to 30%, up by ten percentage points from last year. Bisexual representations also rose on streaming series, from 20% to 26%. However, cable series have dropped in bisexual representations from 35% to 32%. Bisexual women far outnumber bisexual men on every platform. Many of these characters still fall into dangerous stereotypes about bisexual people.

* Each platform tracked (broadcast, cable, streaming) counts one character who is HIV-positive, though only broadcast television counts the character as a series regular (Oliver on ABC's How to Get Away with Murder).

* Cable and streaming platforms still need to include more racially diverse LGBTQ characters as a majority of LGBTQ regular and recurring characters on each platform (72% and 71% respectively) are counted as white. Overall racial diversity is up again with 36% (325) of 895 series regular characters on broadcast counted as people of color, which is a three-point increase from last year's report.

* While this year's report marks a record-high percentage of black series regulars on broadcast (20%), black women remain underrepresented at only 38% of all black series regular characters.

* GLAAD found a record-high percentage of series regular characters with disability on broadcast television at 1.7% of all series regulars, this is up from the 0.9% reported last year.

* This year, 44% of regular characters on primetime broadcast programming are women, which is an increase of one percentage point from last year but still greatly underrepresents women who make up 51% of the population.

And an article from the UK's Independant, published August 2017:

LGBT representation on television is tokenistic and de-sexualised
                              ITV boss Kevin Lygo thinks there are 'enough gay people on television'. This betrayed an overly simplistic attitude towards representation, and ignores the fact that gay sex is rarely depicted in mainstream entertainment at all

I watch too many shows, one could argue but let's see if they have LGBTQ-representation (or had it in the passed):

NCIS: LA -- none
                              Once Upon A Time -- hints of Mulan/Aurora (Sleeping Beauty), but never explored -- guest characters
                              Madam Secretary -- Blake came out as bisexual last season (3 in this case) -- main character
                              Supergirl -- 2 characters, Alex Danvers & Maggie Sawyer -- main and guest character
                              NCIS -- none
                              NCIS: New Orleans -- 1, Gregorio seems to be bisexual (married to a man, and had girlfriends) -- main character
                              The Flash -- none
                              Legends of Tomorrow -- 1, Sarah Lance -- main character
                              Arrow -- 1 (used to be 2), Nyssa Al Ghul (who used to be an item with Sarah Lance) though we haven't seen her in a while
                              Gotham -- 1, Penguin came out as gay last season (3 in this case) -- guest character
                              Hawaii Five-0 -- none
                              The Librarians -- from the way Cassandra Killian is being portrayed, she could be lesbian or bisexual - it's never explicitly stated as such (she has a few flirts here and there, and is portrayed as Prince Charming in one episode) -- main character
                              Doctor Who -- 1, the last companion turned out to be a lesbian (I think they killed her) -- main character
                              Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. -- none
                              The 100 -- 2, Clark and Lexa (was that her name -- can't remember) -- Lexa got killed, so 1 remained (noticed quite a backlash on that killing too)

So basically, 0.02 % are LGBTQ -- random percentage.

Your analysis of Mon-El however is inaccurate
                              Coward = yes, at first. He manned up -- no coward would have sacrificed his own well being in order to save a planet he's not originally from, or the girl he loves cause there's no doubt he loves Supergirl/Kara

Egotistical = yes, he was a spoiled brat

Manipulative = never saw that, definitely nothing like his mother

Daxamite = yes, he started out as a true jerk, but evolved away from it

Sleeping around with the local female population -- definitely did that.

Favorite quotes:

"Blob it! Push. The. Button!"

"When you go looking for trouble....... trouble will find you."

Comment

That is a pure opinion. Think what you want about the season. Your analysis of Mon-El however is inaccurate
                                There are plenty of people that saw him that way. They never gave him a redemption arc, that might have endeared him to others. A relationship built on a lie is a bad start

Anyway, there are some folks that have mentioned Brainiac 5. I don't read the comics so don't know much about him other than what people have mentioned. He seems like he'd be a good character to bring in
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X