Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi.Spoilers/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
    Did Luke every train Leia how to use the Force?
    Nope. As of the novel "Bloodline" (set 6 years before TFA/TLJ), she had received no training at all, and shortly after that novel is when she founded the Resistance.

This bugged me too.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I was annoyed by this fact too.
      But looking at the 2 newest episodes, I guess Disney has a different view. I think they believe you don't need training to use the force.
      1- in the force awakens, we see Rey use the force more than once without having any training prior to that. Not to mention she was so strong that she managed to beat others including Rey.
      2- in the last Jedi, Leia uses the force to save herself without having any training prior to that incident.

I think Disney has a very different view of the use of the force.

I just thought of something, maybe they want to say Leia can't use the force but that was just survival instinct kicking in to save her. I don't know it's just a thought. Anything to help me accept this.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgharrah View Post
        I just thought of something, maybe they want to say Leia can't use the force but that was just survival instinct kicking in to save her. I don't know it's just a thought. Anything to help me accept this.
        My friends and I were on a similar line of thinking. I've seen shows where characters have had latent special abilities, and they weren't able to use them without training, but in times of need the abilities kicked in to save them from possible death.
        sigpic

Comment

This is hardly new. For example, in TPM, Anakin unconsciously used the Force to be able to compete in Podracing.

Comment

In The Phantom Menace, Qui-Gon senses a strong Force presence in Anakin Skywalker. He then arranges a deal with Watto whereby if Anakin wins the Boonta Classic pod race, Watto will grant Anakin his freedom. It is well established that both Anakin and Luke Skywalker both have a natural gift for flying, making them some of the best pilots in the Galaxy. However, Qui-Gon has no way of knowing this, and seems to be operating under the assumption that Anakin's innate Force will assist him in winning, rather than any "natural" talent.

Yet in the original trilogy, it isn't until Luke consciously "let's go" that he can allow the Force to guide his shot to the ventilation shaft on the Death Star, implying that actually using the Force to assist in piloting requires some level of Force training. Even if Anakin did use the Force to guide him, aside from Qui-Gon saying he has "Jedi reflexes," there was no obvious use of the Force. With Rey however, there is obvious use of the Force...additionally...aside from sensing stuff here and there...Leia had never used the Force. I can't buy that Anakin used the Force to win the race as he wasn't truly in danger...whereas...Leia was in danger (floating in space).
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              This is hardly new. For example, in TPM, Anakin unconsciously used the Force to be able to compete in Podracing.
              While significant, the force usage there was very subtle and very subconscious. Leah and Rey on the other hand...and that boy at the end too. I still maintain that there is something new with the force hints the "there's an awakening" line from Snoke in TFA.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                My friends and I were on a similar line of thinking. I've seen shows where characters have had latent special abilities, and they weren't able to use them without training, but in times of need the abilities kicked in to save them from possible death.
                I've heard similar theories, yeah. The most common thing I've heard it likened to is how you sometimes hear stories of a tiny woman lifting a burning car wreck up enough that her children can get out, when under normal circumstances she wouldn't budge the thing. It's not the best of explanations, but in the absence of anything better...
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  Nope. As of the novel "Bloodline" (set 6 years before TFA/TLJ), she had received no training at all, and shortly after that novel is when she founded the Resistance.

This bugged me too.
                  Thanks for clearing that up.

True but that seems a lot simpler than what had to be Leia creating a Force Bubble of oxygen around herself and then pulling herself back to the ship. To me that had to be conscious use of the Force.
                  I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

True but that seems a lot simpler than what had to be Leia creating a Force Bubble of oxygen around herself and then pulling herself back to the ship. To me that had to be conscious use of the Force.
                    She was literally unconscious at the time.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up.

It might also have been another force sensitive, perhaps a ghostly one? sensed her distress and saved her?

Comment

Luke?
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

Luke was cut off from the force at the time.

I'll give credit that it could have been Anakin.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Or Yoda, or Obi-wan, Qui-Gon...

Comment

Or Johnson
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

She was literally unconscious at the time.
                                I've never heard of anyone being able to do anything with the Force while unconscious but anything is possible.

It might also have been another force sensitive, perhaps a ghostly one? sensed her distress and saved her?
                                Possible.
                                I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Working...
                                X