Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi.Spoilers/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    For sure. But I also 100% expect Mark Hamill to turn up in IX as a Force ghost to guide her.
    There's no question about this.
    But maybe they won't do it just to go against expectations.
    But then again they know fans like Luke.

Comment

I too am puzzled by Leia's survival in space. Unless Luke, or possibly Yoda, Kenobi or some other ghostly force master sensed her peril and projected a force field of some sort around her?

Kylo Ren doesn't seem to have too strong a sense of self, or whatever you want to call it. He seems to listen to whomever is bending his ear at the moment. And he took his mask off early on. Why does he sound like he's talking through it throughout the film?

Wouldn't the rebellion cruiser's role be to protect the smaller ships, rather than to run away while the smaller ships eventually ran out of fuel and were destroyed?

And you would think Disney could afford set lighting. Visually, that was way too dark, couldn't see too many details half the time.

And finally, 2 and a half hours is too long. You can't hit pause in a theater when you have to go to the bathroom.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. The whole time those small ships where getting blasted, Holdo sat there and did nothing. She could have done the Kamikaze attack as soon as she saw the Imperials....um....the First Order peeps fire at the rebel...erm...resistance ships. It would have stopped Emperor Palp...um...Supreme Leader Snoke's rant and allowed Darth Vader and L...Kylo Ren and Rey to deal with him and escape the death...um...the Ship and join the others on Hoth...you what, it was Hoth.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
          I was wondering the same thing. The whole time those small ships where getting blasted, Holdo sat there and did nothing. She could have done the Kamikaze attack as soon as she saw the Imperials....um....the First Order peeps fire at the rebel...erm...resistance ships. It would have stopped Emperor Palp...um...Supreme Leader Snoke's rant and allowed Darth Vader and L...Kylo Ren and Rey to deal with him and escape the death...um...the Ship and join the others on Hoth...you what, it was Hoth.
          I think you are doing Palpatine a disservice here. Palpatine was more evil than Snoke ever thought of being by orders of magnitude. You're right, there is repetition, they are passing the torch so to speak. Happens when the franchise begins to live beyond the people that created it.

But Snoke is a pale imitation of Palpatine.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            I think you are doing Palpatine a disservice here. Palpatine was more evil than Snoke ever thought of being by orders of magnitude. You're right, there is repetition, they are passing the torch so to speak. Happens when the franchise begins to live beyond the people that created it.

But Snoke is a pale imitation of Palpatine.
            They wouldn't need repetition if they had the bad guys be...the Yuuzhan Vong. Kylo Ren could still go dark side. The force could still...."awaken". And Luke and Han could still die. And the Republic could still be destroyed.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

Ugh, no. I am so glad they didn't bring that garbage along to this new/rebooted universe.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I too am puzzled by Leia's survival in space. Unless Luke, or possibly Yoda, Kenobi or some other ghostly force master sensed her peril and projected a force field of some sort around her?

Kylo Ren doesn't seem to have too strong a sense of self, or whatever you want to call it. He seems to listen to whomever is bending his ear at the moment. And he took his mask off early on. Why does he sound like he's talking through it throughout the film?

Wouldn't the rebellion cruiser's role be to protect the smaller ships, rather than to run away while the smaller ships eventually ran out of fuel and were destroyed?

And you would think Disney could afford set lighting. Visually, that was way too dark, couldn't see too many details half the time.

And finally, 2 and a half hours is too long. You can't hit pause in a theater when you have to go to the bathroom.
                You're thinking like it's BSG and the cruiser's job is to protect the fleet. That's far from the case though. The rest of the fleet were support ships whose job it was to help protect and supplement certain roles for the cruiser that it couldn't otherwise do itself. Like the cruisers, destroyers and tender ships which are in a modern day carrier group.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                  You're thinking like it's BSG and the cruiser's job is to protect the fleet. That's far from the case though. The rest of the fleet were support ships whose job it was to help protect and supplement certain roles for the cruiser that it couldn't otherwise do itself. Like the cruisers, destroyers and tender ships which are in a modern day carrier group.
                  And the carrier, in turn, provides protection for her support ships. I don't care how you're coming, does attacking a carrier strike group sound like a good idea?

Comment

About Snoke, I'm really upset that they killed him already.
                    So what exactly was the purpose of Snoke?
                    Was he in episodes 7 and 8 just to move the plot along and then provide twists towards the ending of episode 8?
                    The writers are either stupid or they still have something up their sleeves concerning Snoke. I mean why was he the leader? What's so special about him? He's just the one who filled the spot till Kyle rose to power? This just doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Ugh, no. I am so glad they didn't bring that garbage along to this new/rebooted universe.
                      Star wars Tyranid fleets, who thought that was going to be a good idea??
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I read it as the cruiser was trying to draw the first order ships away from the smaller ships so they could escape.
                        Didn't Kylo tell the fleet to concentrate on the carrier with the intention of landing on the nearby planet & mopping up later?
                        http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

They need not follow the letter of the New Jedi Order plot. I'm just saying, an outside threat can cause internal disputes that would provide plenty of grey morality for the writers/directors to play with.
                          By Nolamom
                          sigpic

Comment

My spoil free review

Wow

Just... wow

I give this movie a 9.98 out of 10 for 4 areas

Area 1: Writing; Just wow, some scenes had hilarity, some seri9iousness, some just, wow did they just really say that ??? For me, writing is an even 10 I loved it all!

Area 2: Music; John Williams never ceases to amaze, just simply every second beautiful music all throughout, again a 10 from me because, come on, its John Williams

Area 3: Locations, Would you like some watyer go with that salt ? Some of the locations were breath taking, Ach-to island for example, gorgeous location, but for Crait,.... uh.... did the Dead Sea dry up or something ? personally this gets a 9 for locations rather then a ten full on due to that.

Area 4: Characters and creatures; the crystal wolves were AMAZING! the Porgs cute as hell, the Caretakers, meh, poor guys were abused more often then not but otherwise good enough. I give this also a nine out of ten. Dont get me started on the 'cows'

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                            "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                            "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post

Area 2: Music; John Williams never ceases to amaze, just simply every second beautiful music all throughout, again a 10 from me because, come on, its John Williams
                              You know, my whole life I've refused to watch Star Wars coz I thought I wouldn't like it but what eventually brought me on board five years ago was John William's music and I'm glad I did. This guy is brilliant. And the franchise turned out to be great after all, with a few down points of course but great overall.

Comment

Finally watched the Last Jedi today and I need something cleared up since I haven't read any of the new books. Did Luke every train Leia how to use the Force? If he never did, I see no way what so ever that she should have been able to survive being blown into space the way she did.

Beyond that just about the whole scene between Kylo, Rey and Snoke is just a play on the same between Luke, Vader and Palpatine in Return of the Jedi. On top of the that, the evacuation of the base at the beginning of the movie and the battle at the end are plays off of The Empire Strikes Back.
                                I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Working...
                                X