Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi.Spoilers/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
    He thought it was something a little more tragic than what actually happened.

One thing I was wondering is
    Spoiler:
    when Leia is blown into space...how does she all of the sudden...wake up and float back to the ship. A friend said it was because she learned to use the Force. When did this happen? In every movie she's been in, other than a feeling here or there, there has been no indication that she studied the Force.
    Right, that was one of my aggravations too. There’s been no indication—in films OR books—that Leia ever pursued Force training. It’s totally out of left field here.

My other big gripe was with the Yoda appearance. I found it a bit pandering, to be honest. Even still, I could accept it...until that GOD-FARKING-AWFUL CGI model appeared. Jeeeeez whoever approved fhaf garbage needs to never be allowed approval authority again, ever. This is Lucasfilm and ILM, the premiere VFX sources of this industry, and THAT is what they went with?!
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Right, that was one of my aggravations too. There’s been no indication—in films OR books—that Leia ever pursued Force training. It’s totally out of left field here.

My other big gripe was with the Yoda appearance. I found it a bit pandering, to be honest. Even still, I could accept it...until that GOD-FARKING-AWFUL CGI model appeared. Jeeeeez whoever approved fhaf garbage needs to never be allowed approval authority again, ever. This is Lucasfilm and ILM, the premiere VFX sources of this industry, and THAT is what they went with?!
      I just assumed she gained some basic skills at some point (needs to be addressed though) but it also might have to do with something going on with the Force in general.
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

cgi? I thought they re-used the puppet. I loved it.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          Fairly sure it was a mix of the two, because it seemed horribly obvious when the shots switched between the CGI and the puppet.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Thematic motif that I’m embarrassed to say didn’t even occur to me till I was in the shower this morning: Obi-Wan/Anakin/Luke, and Luke/Ben/Rey.

Obi-Wan believed he could train Anakin - one of the strongest Force-wielding individuals ever encountered - in the ways of the Jedi. Anakin was seduced by a powerful dark sider and when faced with a tipping-point choice, chose to destroy the Jedi rather than trust in his mentor. Years later, Kenobi took on a new, powerful student, but before he could properly train him, sacrificed his life battling his former student so his new one could escape certain death.

In the previous paragraph, replace every instance of Obi-Wan with Luke, Anakin with Ben, and Luke with Rey - it works exactly the same.

Comment

"All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again"

Comment

Am I the only one who doesn't believe what Kylo told Rey about her parents? Am I the only one bothered by it? I mean it doesn't fit. It doesn't make any sense.
                Besides, that strong force doesn't come from nowhere.
                Maybe Snoke implanted the thought in Kylo's head.
                One thing I was wondering is
                Spoiler:
                when Leia is blown into space...how does she all of the sudden...wake up and float back to the ship. A friend said it was because she learned to use the Force. When did this happen? In every movie she's been in, other than a feeling here or there, there has been no indication that she studied the Force.
                This feels like it was added after Carrie Fisher died. It's all CGI anyway.

Comment

I welcome the idea that Rey is a nobody. This whole thing that her parents (or at least one of them) must be 'somebody' is something that didn't actually happen in TFA, and has only become a thing because fandom has latched onto the idea. All TFA ever has to say on the subject is that Rey was abandoned on Jakku, and that she's been there for years hoping they would come back. That's it.

If I can bust out that "motif" word again: I think it's a nice throwback to the original film and to ESB (minus its last 10 minutes). Luke was a nobody from a backwater who didn't know his parents at all, who believed his dad was an unremarkable freighter pilot (and was 'corrected' by Obi-Wan that he was an almost-as-unremarkable Jedi Knight), and that was absolutely fine for 1.8 films. People accepted it. Luke was a POV character, the nobody who becomes a hero--he was the character that a million young boys could project themselves into.

Now that's Rey's role.

Comment

Am I the only one who's bothered by the similarities between the movies of this trilogy and that of the original one?
                    I mean it's like they're throwing it in our faces. You don't need to look closer to see it.
                    TBH that scene where Rey was fighting Kylo and Snoke was watching felt a lot like the scene at the end of RoJ when Vader switched back to the good side and killed Palpatine.
                    The only difference was in the ending and I'm glad it wasn't the same. I was expecting a hand to get cut off anytime.

Comment

I actually really liked that scene between Ray and Kylo.
                      sigpic

Comment

I never said it wasn't good. It was just, you know, familiar... not new...
                        I had that feeling that we've been there before. When I think of a creative screenplay, I want to see something new, something to surprise me. Nobody hates a good throwback, but that's good when it's in a scene or two.

Comment

Yeah...that was just about as bad as Henry Cavill's face in Justice League. Unless Yoda was on Force drugs...and they'd taken their toll un him!

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                          I just assumed she gained some basic skills at some point (needs to be addressed though) but it also might have to do with something going on with the Force in general.
                          Basic? She survived the vacuum of space as well as an explosion. I think that'd be more than basic force abilities.

I could've dealt with a resued puppet. That looked CGI. Ears moved too much to be a puppet.

Originally posted by Kilgharrah View Post
                          That's a possibility. However, there could've been something better and more believable.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgharrah View Post
                            Am I the only one who doesn't believe what Kylo told Rey about her parents? Am I the only one bothered by it? I mean it doesn't fit. It doesn't make any sense.
                            Besides, that strong force doesn't come from nowhere.
                            Maybe Snoke implanted the thought in Kylo's head.

Force power does come out of nowhere though. Anakin was a nobody. His mother was a slave. Yes immaculately conceived (though I prefer the notion that Sideous or Plagueis had a hand in doing that) but still, he wasn't anything special otherwise. Shmi Skywalker showed no signs of being force sensitive and we have no knowledge of any ancestors that were.

Additionally, since Jedi don't marry and have children, it's not like they ever worry about passing on "force sensitive genes" or anything like that. By all accounts, Force sensitivity can just be spontaneous.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

That's a possibility. However, there could've been something better and more believable.
                              My point exactly

Force power does come out of nowhere though. Anakin was a nobody. His mother was a slave. Yes immaculately conceived (though I prefer the notion that Sideous or Plagueis had a hand in doing that) but still, he wasn't anything special otherwise. Shmi Skywalker showed no signs of being force sensitive and we have no knowledge of any ancestors that were.

Additionally, since Jedi don't marry and have children, it's not like they ever worry about passing on "force sensitive genes" or anything like that. By all accounts, Force sensitivity can just be spontaneous.
                              I heard somewhere that Anakin was created by Plagueis who wanted to create an embodiment of the force. It wasn't in the movies but it's said to be canonical.

Oh and just because Shmi doesn't use the force doesn't mean she doesn't have it. I mean she died young anyway and we didn't see her a lot anyway. Maybe she had those basic abilities like what Leia had in the original trilogy but it was never shown on screen. That's a theory.

Comment

Maybe it's a genetic mutation that can lie dormant for several generations?

Comment

Working...
                                X