No announcement yet.

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi.Spoilers/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to be like you guys are; I saw every Trek film through Generations? Or was it First Contact? on opening night.

But I am no longer willing to put up with the BS of other people in large crowds. Crowds suck, and that's the end of it.

I'll wait till later next week in an afternoon showing. I did this with TFA, and it was a pleasant experience. Roughly 20 other people in the theater.
    Last edited by Annoyed; 15 December 2017, 05:11 PM. Reason: Typo correction

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      I used to be like you guys are; I saw every Trek film through Generations? Or was it First Contact? on opening night.

But I am no longer willing to put up with the BS of other people in large crowds. Crowds suck, and that's the end of it.

I'll wait till later next week in an afternoon showing. I did this with TFA, and it was a pleasant experience. Roughly 20 other people in the theater.
      I get social anxiety. So I get hating crowds... like a lot. But there were less that 20 people in the showing I went to.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I very rarely go out to see movies in theatres, I usually wait until they come out on blu-ray or whatever and watch them at home. The few movies that I do get excited enough about to watch in theatres, I usually end up watching on a weekday afternoon or an early showing on a weekend a week or so after opening night, so it's not so crowded. I've only been two movies on opening night (the 12am first showing) and that was for The Dark Knight and TDKR. I was really excited for this movie, but since it's come out I've read more negative than positive reactions to it (I couldn't help myself, I looked at a few opinions with spoilers) and that's made me a little less excited to see it. I know everyone has different opinions though, some people can can a little too over the top with their hate, especially when it comes to a franchise they love, while others go overboard with their love for something, defending it and taking every little critique of it as though it were a personal affront; so I'll make up my own mind and watch it when I can. I'll probably watch it next week during my kids' vacation, so we can all go on a weekday afternoon.
        sigpic

Comment

I enjoyed it, maybe dragged a bit in the middle.

Spoiler:
          I liked the fact that for me, nothing was predictable. By that I mean Id read loads of theories and none of them were right. Im glad that Reys parents had nothing to do with anyone famous.

Enjoyed seeing Yoda again, that was a nice suprise

I went as soon as possible to avoid spoilers haha

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
            I get social anxiety. So I get hating crowds... like a lot. But there were less that 20 people in the showing I went to.
            You must live on a deserted backwater like Tattooine.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              You must live on a deserted backwater like Tattooine.
              Not completely deserted... Definitely a backwater though.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Well, I finally saw it yesterday! I don't know why people on the news were saying it was "worse" than the prequel trilogy. I even enjoyed the prequel trilogy (no hate please). One of my friends who went with me to see the movie summed it up best (IMHO), she said that these sequels are like the changing of the guard. You have those from the orginial trilogy passing the torch to the new generation.

I loved the humor integrated into the movie. I had to quiet the kid at times because he gets too carried away with humor.

My friend's son didn't quite understand the ending sequence involving Luke and thought it was something totally different than what it was.

All in all, I totally enjoyed it. It was a great movie, and I got to see it with some good friends and family.
                sigpic

Comment

I really enjoyed the movie. However, I hope they bring out some books with Snoke's backstory.
                  "You don't know half of it".
                  Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
                  (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                    Well, I finally saw it yesterday! I don't know why people on the news were saying it was "worse" than the prequel trilogy. I even enjoyed the prequel trilogy (no hate please). One of my friends who went with me to see the movie summed it up best (IMHO), she said that these sequels are like the changing of the guard. You have those from the orginial trilogy passing the torch to the new generation.

I loved the humor integrated into the movie. I had to quiet the kid at times because he gets too carried away with humor.

My friend's son didn't quite understand the ending sequence involving Luke and thought it was something totally different than what it was.

All in all, I totally enjoyed it. It was a great movie, and I got to see it with some good friends and family.
                    Out of curiosity, what did he think it was?

I enjoyed the movie. I thought it was well done given its context. However, I do give a lot of leeway considering that I think JJ Abrams' head is stuck up is rear end when it comes to making movies. He's too much "Mystery box" and too little "Telling an actual story" for my taste in general, so I forgive TFA for that. In that same sense, this movie had to deal with the senseless "mystery box set" from TFA and it did a rather good job minus one or two things that it didn't solve. I was disappointed in how Luke was used but at the same time liked it. Can't really speak to it without getting spoilery. Basically, the entire story of Luke just doesn't jive with me at all, so there's that baggage that the movie really can't be faulted for.

I agree that this is a transition to a new generation, but in doing so it also feels like it's a totally different universe than the one we see in the prequels/originals. That leads to what I think is Disney's biggest mistake with this franchise. They should have handled it more like the Marvel universe. Basically, Marvel is true to the source material and borrows from it heavily in a series of movies that is planned out in advanced. The backstories aren't seen as a hindrance but as an artistic challenge. Star Wars' EU was seen as a hindrance and it isn't being as clearly planned out in advance beyond some basic points(which allowed/allows Jar Jar Abrams to indulge his obsession with "mystery boxes").

That said, the movie was good because it succeeded despite all of those issues. So I call this a good movie in that context but have to say that it (as well as TFA) could have been much much better.

Spoiler:
                    The thing about luke is that I wanted to see him in action and felt the force projection (however cool and powerful that is) to be a major let down. He could have easily been there in person, done all of that, and then just allowed himself to get killed so he can become one with the force.

Another thing that bothers me is that Finn's side mission ended up being entirely pointless. Had Finn and Rose stuck around with Poe, nothing would have changed in the story other than the resistance getting a bit more time. I'm sure Rey would have been able to escape with out the distraction of the destruction that Holdo caused with her Kamikaze attack. I mean...she is able to fight and use the force at a Master's level with little to no training whatsoever, it's not a stretch to think that she couldn't escape without that chaos.

I am wondering, I'm confused if Rey's abilities are in part due to Snoke's interference? Then again,
                    that little boy was able to use the force in a way that not even 8 year old creepy Anakin could. Anakin didn't use force pull or push at all at that age. He had to be taught, but that boy did it like if it was nothing. So I still say that there is something more going on with the Force that gives Rey all of these odd out of the blue skills. I do hope JJ Abrams takes that path...otherwise I am afraid that I too would have to name Rey a bit of a mary sue (Don't forget that Luke and Anakin did fail at times and made mistakes...and they whined a lot. Lea herself was also imperfect and had her limits. Rey hasn't been shown like that at all.)
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                      Spoiler:

I am wondering, I'm confused if Rey's abilities are in part due to Snoke's interference? Then again,
                      that little boy was able to use the force in a way that not even 8 year old creepy Anakin could. Anakin didn't use force pull or push at all at that age. He had to be taught, but that boy did it like if it was nothing. So I still say that there is something more going on with the Force that gives Rey all of these odd out of the blue skills. I do hope JJ Abrams takes that path...otherwise I am afraid that I too would have to name Rey a bit of a mary sue (Don't forget that Luke and Anakin did fail at times and made mistakes...and they whined a lot. Lea herself was also imperfect and had her limits. Rey hasn't been shown like that at all.)
                      Spoiler:
                      What little boy?
                      "You don't know half of it".
                      Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
                      (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Originally posted by GodAtum View Post
                        Spoiler:
                        What little boy?
                        Spoiler:
                        The boy on Canto Bight at the end pulled the broom to himself without touching it.

Comment

Maybe should have another discussion thread for people who have seen it. Or assume that anyone entering a movie thread for an aired film should enter at their own risk?
                          sigpic

Comment

I thought the movie was okay. I was disappointed in some ways but still enjoyed the film in other ways.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                              Out of curiosity, what did he think it was?
                              He thought it was something a little more tragic than what actually happened.

One thing I was wondering is
                              Spoiler:
                              when Leia is blown into space...how does she all of the sudden...wake up and float back to the ship. A friend said it was because she learned to use the Force. When did this happen? In every movie she's been in, other than a feeling here or there, there has been no indication that she studied the Force.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                                Maybe should have another discussion thread for people who have seen it. Or assume that anyone entering a movie thread for an aired film should enter at their own risk?
                                It does say “spoilers” right in the subject line...
                                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                                X