Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens.Spoilers/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt it

Actually I'm fully expecting that Episode VII will jettison the kiddie garbage that made the prequels so terrible. For Star Trek, Abrams managed to strike a good balance between appealing to existing Trek fans while attracting tons of new ones. I'm hoping and expecting he'll do the same for Star Wars.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      I doubt it

Actually I'm fully expecting that Episode VII will jettison the kiddie garbage that made the prequels so terrible. For Star Trek, Abrams managed to strike a good balance between appealing to existing Trek fans while attracting tons of new ones. I'm hoping and expecting he'll do the same for Star Wars.
      Me 2, i was joking, tho i would accept a mesa dying cameo

And yeah i have faith in JJ Abrams
      Last Movie Watched
      X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
      Life is Strange

Comment

I'm not all that sure about what to make of JJ Abrams being the director. While I went to watch his Star Trek reboot, I left feeling that he dumbed down the franchise. I guess I'll have to wait and see what he does with Star Wars.
        I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

The one thing many critics of Abrams' trek seemed to agree on was that he used far too many SW influences in his movie. I didn't mind because I like both franchises, even though the fight above the open pits of Nero's ship was a bit much. Maybe now that he gets the chance to direct SW, his Trek will also go in a more Trek direction. Obviously it's too late to change much in the nearly completed movie, but perhaps the next one...
          sigpic

Comment

Chancellor Jar Jar Binks of the Galactic Senate would be hilarious.
            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Palps dissolved the Senate in ANH
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Didn't the rebuild it along with the New Republic??
                "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Palps dissolved the Senate in ANH
                  Originally posted by rushy View Post
                  Didn't the rebuild it along with the New Republic??
                  I suspect your talking about the EU however, your points are moot since there doing an original story
                  Last Movie Watched
                  X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                  Life is Strange

Comment

I was not, Tarkin tells the admirals aboard the Death Star that the Emperor has dissolved the Imperial Senate. It's in the first damned movie

rushy's correct, though: the New Republic got a Senate of its own up and running eventually.

Comment

I doubt it

Yeah, and I'd like a director that would allow his actors...how can I put it?...emote, be complex, uh, act?

I remember a portuguese critic writing " Lucas can direct a pixel but not a Portman".

I wouldn't mind the kiddie stuff as much, if that element of humanity was in the movie. I think Abrams approach to Trek was effective if not that deep. Again, I'm on the "let's wait and see" team.
                      sigpic
                      Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
                      Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

I remember hearing that during the filming of the OT, for Lucas' birthday they got him a t-shirt with "FASTER, MORE INTENSE!" printed on it, because that was pretty much all the direction he ever gave.

Apparently, judging from both the films themselves and comments by the actors, his directing style hadn't changed when the PT came along.

Comment

Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy on 'Star Wars,' 'Lincoln' and Secret J.J. Abrams Meetings

In November, a journalist asked J.J. Abrams what seemed like an obvious question: Was he interested in directing the next Star Wars movie? Disney had just paid a whopping $4.05 billion to acquire George Lucas' iconic Lucasfilm and had stated its intention to turn out new Star Wars films every two to three years beginning in 2015. The prolific Abrams, who had sparked the flagging Star Trek series in 2009, seemed a natural fit. But he quickly shot the idea down. While Star Wars was "the first movie that blew my mind in that way," he said then, he wanted to focus on original material.

Kathleen Kennedy, the 59-year-old producer who in June had been placed atop the Lucas empire, was not so easily deterred. The Lucasfilm job was just the latest beat in a remarkable 35-year career replete with hits from filmmakers as diverse as Clint Eastwood (The Bridges of Madison County), Robert Zemeckis (Back to the Future), David Fincher (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) and, above all, Steven Spielberg -- from 1982's E.T. The Extra Terrestrial to his current Oscar contender, Lincoln.

Kennedy already had called Beth Swofford, Abrams' CAA agent, and been told Abrams was too deeply engaged in the next Star Trek movie and other obligations at Paramount -- not to mention innumerable television projects -- to consider the job. Nonetheless, Abrams agreed to meet with Kennedy on Dec. 14 at his Bad Robot offices in Santa Monica. Famously plain-spoken, she summarizes her pitch like this: "Please do Star Wars." And she had cards to play. Not only was Oscar winner Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3) writing the script, but Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote 1980's The Empire Strikes Back and 1983's Return of the Jedi, was on board to consult. Abrams "was flipping out when he found out that Michael and Larry were on the movie already," says Kennedy.

Abrams tells THR, "I learned firsthand how incredible and persuasive she is." Some -- but not all -- of his reservations were dispelled. "The thing about any pre-existing franchise -- I'd sort of done that," he says. "But when I met with Kathy, it was suddenly very tantalizing."

Kennedy, Abrams and the writers met secretly for about three hours Dec. 19, and "J.J. was just on the ceiling when I walked out the door," she recalls. But still, she says, Abrams had "very genuine concerns" about his obligations elsewhere and the impact on his wife and three kids, given the likelihood that the film would not be shot in Los Angeles. And then there was the unique nature of the franchise. "If there was any pause on J.J.'s part, it was the same pause everybody has -- including myself -- stepping into this," she says. "Which is, it's daunting."

Indeed, the six Star Wars films have grossed more than $4.3 billion at the worldwide box office and spawned an empire that includes TV spinoffs like The Clone Wars, books, theme park rides and, of course, merchandise sales. Disney has said Lucasfilm generated about $215 million in licensing revenue in 2012 without having released a Star Wars-related movie in five years. Managed correctly, Star Wars by far is the most valuable franchise in Hollywood, making Kennedy -- its new steward -- one of the most powerful figures in entertainment.

So Kennedy had to do what she does so well: put one of the industry's most prominent directors at ease. And she's known Abrams since he was 14, when Spielberg had read an article about him winning a Super 8 moviemaking contest and hired the future director to restore his own childhood Super 8 videos. "We spent a lot of time talking about how meaningful Star Wars is and the depth of the mythology that George has created and how we carry that into the next chapter," she says. Finally, after a day of furious negotiation, the deal closed the afternoon of Jan. 25. To the bitter end, Abrams was telling associates that he still wasn't fully committed to directing the project. But Kennedy is confident that he will be in the chair when the cameras roll. She is less clear that the first film in the new trilogy will be ready by 2015. "Our goal is to move as quickly as we can, and we'll see what happens," says Kennedy. "The timetable we care about is getting the story."

Sitting atop Lucasfilm as the founder's handpicked successor, Kennedy clearly has the clout to make her voice heard loud and clear. Kennedy, married since 1987 to producer Frank Marshall and the mother of two teenage daughters, reports to Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn, though the importance of her domain ensures that she also has the ear of Disney chairman and CEO Robert Iger. She has great ambitions to restore the 1,500-employee, San Francisco-based Lucasfilm to "a full-fledged production company" making "as many good films as we can." That's in addition to managing its successful Industrial Light & Magic effects division and LucasArts gaming branch. But the main order of business must be getting the first movie right.

There's 3 more pages on her career, but that's all the Star Wars-relevant stuff.

Comment

I usually dont like these kind of videos... ok in fact I do and this is AWESOME
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by digifluid View Post
                              i remember hearing that during the filming of the ot, for lucas' birthday they got him a t-shirt with "faster, more intense!" printed on it, because that was pretty much all the direction he ever gave.

Apparently, judging from both the films themselves and comments by the actors, his directing style hadn't changed when the pt came along.
                              Really?
                              LOL

Comment

I gotta be honest, I was doing backflips in Abrams was announced. A logical choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X