No announcement yet.

Disney acquires Lucasfilm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I woulda done with the prequels is, in eps 1, set up the republic....how did it come about? even if that's a hundred years earlier, how did it happen?

Eps 2, the jedi and sith, or maybe just the sith, how they broke off.

Leading into episode 3, anakin and amadala....like seriously, we know how it ends, did we need to spend 9 hours on it?

What I'd love to see is rogue squadron (or if there was a series, that would have the staying power)

I admit I haven't read a star wars book in decades, so no idea who and what are where so no idea about that.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
      The Simpsons is still funny? It hasn't be funny for 10 years!

Ok, if not funny, at least sprinkled with new ideas? :-)
      Point was that new blood can keep a series energized.

Comment

I don't know. I'm shocked and confused...

On one hand, there's finally going to be a continuation of Star Wars and with the drive of Disney and some fresh blood it could be good.

On another I fear that Disney is getting grubby, losing the sense of passion that they once had; the latest Pixar/Disney movies. (Cars 2, Brave, Wreck-It-Ralph support this.)

Although Disney has done good with "The Avengers", I liked that movie, it's no masterpiece but it's good, it engaged the audience, it hooked the general public on the idea of a franchise and more importantly, it parlayed a new sense of fame for the people who appeared on the movie, the comic book characters and more importantly Joss Whedon who shot to the limelight after years of lingering on stuff like Firefly, Dollhouse and Dr. Horribles Sing-Along Blog (I personally liked Dollhouse though but I don't know if he has golden years with Buffy.) and has gotten his big ticket back into television.

But I fear that they're going to mess it up and cross it over with as many things as possible despite the unnatural fit. (anybody remember the Phineas and Ferb/Marvel crossover?) The various attractions at Disneyland/Disney World/Eurodisney do help to make the medicine go down but I don't know if Disney's going to take exceptional care of the franchise.

I guess this is a wait and see thing...
        Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
          Also, it's said that the sequel trilogy(still can't believe it's really happening) will not be based on any EU story, it'll be a new one entirely(thank god they're leaving Thrawn out of this, I've had enough of hearing fans saying his name).
          Have you considered that the reason why Thrawn, and the Tim Zahn series gets brought up so much is because it is simply a good story?
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I'm okay with the original story concept but i wonder if some of the Jedi created during the EU years (Such as Kyp Durron, Kam and Tionne Solusar Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, Corran Horn, Ben Skywalker, The Solo Twins and Anakin Solo) will appear.
            Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 02 November 2012, 11:48 AM.

Comment

The EU is getting ignored. Way too much has gone on, it would just burden the new movies down.

I expect they'll just skip ahead 100 years or so. In which case it might not contradict the EU, and there may even be some vague acknowledgement of it, but the movies won't pick up on it directly.

Comment

I think it'd be a mistake to let the EU influence the story too much; if you can get a good story that conforms more or less to the EU, good, but it'd be a mistake to make a story that fits well with the EU but doesn't produce a good, movie-friendly story, which is ultimately what you need.
                My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Indeed yeah. Me, I'm just happy that there's going to be more Star Wars! I just hope they stay faithful to the original story, particularly the OT.
                  sigpic

Comment

Could someone please tell me what EU is I don't know, is it a book series?
                    sigpic
                    My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                      Expanded Universe.
                      Meh...

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                        Star Wars canon is not the same as the canon of other franchises like Star Trek or Stargate, where only what appears on screen is considered the factual history of the universe. Star Wars canon operates on a tiered basis. The two trilogies are at the top and are considered G-canon, the indisuputable facts. A step below that is T-canon for the television shows. The events and facts of the TV series are also considered canon, except for when/if they contradict G-canon, in which case it's the TV show that's wrong and the films that are right.

A step below T-canon is C-canon, which includes all the hundreds and thousands of books, short stories, comics, and video games that have been published over the last few decades. This is the level of canon that most of us are referring to when we're talking about the EU--the Expanded Universe. C-canon functions in the same way as the levels above it; everything is considered to be factual canon, except in the cases where it conflicts with any of the higher tiers (in which case the G- or T- source is what's correct).

Currently, the EU spans 25,000 years before ANH (with backstory given in dribs and drabs back as far as 36,000 years as well as hints and 'lost to the mists of time' stuff going back 100,000 years), and up to 138 years after ANH. These works and games have been being published for literally decades (real-world) at this point, filling out a universe that's far more grand and cohesive than anything Lucas ever dreamed up himself. Heck, Lucas Limited even has an employee, Leland Chee, whose entire job description is to track and maintain the canon of the universe (his job title is Keeper of the Holocron). In no small part, it's exactly because of this licensing and ongoing sales source that kept the franchise alive in the long lulls between movies.

Makes it a bit difficult to approach with support new movies that we have, in effect, funded for many years now, when the very real possibility exists that everything we've paid for and enjoyed for decades might be wiped away because some new upstart decided they wanted to make a movie.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Thanks for the link and info I really appreciate it I was confused I only know the movies myself so there is alot I have no idea about.
                          sigpic
                          My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                          poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                            I repeat

what the frak?

first marvel now star wars, disney is taking over the world and disney will end up owning everything

also 2015 new movie
                            WWIII will be fought between Disney, Tesco, Apple and Facebook.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              Have you considered that the reason why Thrawn, and the Tim Zahn series gets brought up so much is because it is simply a good story?
                              I have, but I'm still annoyed.
                              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                                Star Wars canon is not the same as the canon of other franchises like Star Trek or Stargate, where only what appears on screen is considered the factual history of the universe. Star Wars canon operates on a tiered basis. The two trilogies are at the top and are considered G-canon, the indisuputable facts. A step below that is T-canon for the television shows. The events and facts of the TV series are also considered canon, except for when/if they contradict G-canon, in which case it's the TV show that's wrong and the films that are right.

A step below T-canon is C-canon, which includes all the hundreds and thousands of books, short stories, comics, and video games that have been published over the last few decades. This is the level of canon that most of us are referring to when we're talking about the EU--the Expanded Universe. C-canon functions in the same way as the levels above it; everything is considered to be factual canon, except in the cases where it conflicts with any of the higher tiers (in which case the G- or T- source is what's correct).

Currently, the EU spans 25,000 years before ANH (with backstory given in dribs and drabs back as far as 36,000 years as well as hints and 'lost to the mists of time' stuff going back 100,000 years), and up to 138 years after ANH. These works and games have been being published for literally decades (real-world) at this point, filling out a universe that's far more grand and cohesive than anything Lucas ever dreamed up himself. Heck, Lucas Limited even has an employee, Leland Chee, whose entire job description is to track and maintain the canon of the universe (his job title is Keeper of the Holocron). In no small part, it's exactly because of this licensing and ongoing sales source that kept the franchise alive in the long lulls between movies.

Makes it a bit difficult to approach with support new movies that we have, in effect, funded for many years now, when the very real possibility exists that everything we've paid for and enjoyed for decades might be wiped away because some new upstart decided they wanted to make a movie.
                                Wow.I never knew that.Thanks for explaining in such detail.Cheers
                                O'Neill: So, what's your impression of Alar?
                                Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
                                O'Neill: Like what?
                                Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X