Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Clone Wars: Season 5 (spoilers/discussion/speculation)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exclusive season finale preview clip at Blastr
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Famed character actor Tim Curry joins The Clone Wars as the new voice actor for Palpatine!

Tim Curry Joins Star Wars
      Bryan Young

I have been given the go ahead by Lucasfilm to reveal here exclusively that Tim Curry has joined the cast of Star Wars: The Clone Wars in the role of Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious. Tim Curry might be best known for his roles in The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Clue, but he has been doing more than his fair share of excellent work over the last few decades and can now add "Future Emperor" to his resume.

Just over a year ago, Star Wars fans were saddened to learn of the passing of Ian Abercrombie, the voice of Emperor Palpatine on The Clone Wars. He'd recorded many yet to be aired episodes before the time of his death, and the question of who would resume so vital a role was chief among many questions about the future of The Clone Wars.

Over the weekend, a small screening event was held for the season finale at the Presidio headquarters of Lucasfilm and I was asked to be there in attendance. There, at the screening, during the final episode of the arc, Tim Curry made his debut in the Star Wars galaxy. You can see an exclusive clip of him in the role on Saturday's season finale:

I was able to talk to the show's Supervising Director, Dave Filoni about the casting choice:
      We had an extensive search to find a new voice for Palpatine. It wasn't just a matter of finding an actor who could to recreate lines from the films. We needed someone to deliver a performance that could stand alongside what Ian McDiarmid and Ian Abercrombie created as this legendary Star Wars character. At the end of the day, there is little question that bringing in an actor of Tim's caliber was perfect for Chancellor Palpatine.
      Filoni continued, "I think fans will find that he delivers the eloquence needed for the Chancellor. His growling, evil, Sidious voice is a delight, because Tim can definitely tap into the dark side when needed. We are fortunate to have him."
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

A good one, if a bit predictable. Good note to end the season on.

Comment

Now will they have the balls with not bringing that character back ? Probably not

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
            Now will they have the balls with not bringing that character back ? Probably not
            Spoiler:
            They really NEED to bring Ahsoka back. They don't neccesarily need to bring her back into the Jedi Order, but her story is currently incomplete. They need to bring her back and give her story a proper ending.
            Meh...

Comment

This would make it easier for her to survive Order 666. Maybe even show up in the new movie trilogy perhaps ? She can team up with Luke

Comment

I think that would be incredibly lame

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  I think that would be incredibly lame
                  All right then. So she never comes back is cool with me. Or she comes back & then quickly dies. Also good

Comment

Great episode and way to end the season.
                    Spoiler:
                    Bit disappointed at how obvious it was that Bariss was the real conspirator.
                    Nice to see those Jedi Temple guards...
                    The ending was very touching with the music, but I think we will see Ahsoka again.
                    Also nice to see Anakin dual weilding

Also, isnt the kid who says look out, one of the children from the younglings arc?
                    Cant wait till season 6!
                    Last edited by Teddybrown; 02 March 2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      The ending was very touching with the music, but I think we will see Ahsoka again.

Also, isnt the kid who says look out, one of the children from the younglings arc?
                      Cant wait till season 6!
                      I think all those younglings were there weren't they

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                        Spoiler:

Cant wait till season 6!
                        He did look very similar to Petro, but he didn't sound the same so I'm thinking they might have just re-used the Petro model instead of making a new one.
                        Meh...

Comment

It was them. If you look, you can actually see all five of the kids from that story arc.

Comment

And our last trivia gallery of the season!

Spoiler:
                            THE NEW JEDI
                            Seated in the Jedi Council is a new animation model -- Coleman Ckaj, who is briefly glimpsed in Episode III. (Image)

THE WRONG JEDI... LIGHTSABER COLOR
                            As a deliberate misdirection, the trailer for this episode changed the color of Barriss Offee's lightsaber in Anakin's hand from blue to green. (Image)

A TREE GROWS IN CORUSCANT
                            A new area of the Jedi Temple exterior revealed this episode is the training ground, near the base of the Temple's central spire, where grows an ancient gnarled tree with golden boughs. The youngling class from "The Gathering" arc of episodes are trained here by Tera Sinube.

THE TRUTH HURTS
                            Barriss' rebuke against the Jedi Order, though they led to dark actions, is a hundred percent true.

IMPERIAL DESIGNS
                            The design of the military courtroom is clearly Imperial. Suspended from the ceilings are cylindrical terminals resembling those found in the Death Star. (Image)

MARK OF A TRAITOR
                            Barriss' quarters are marked by the same black diamond pattern she has on her face.

YELLOW BLADES
                            This is the first time we see the Jedi Temple Guard in action. They carry large double-bladed lightsabers -- lightsaber pikes -- which are the first lightsabers in cinematic canon to emit a yellow blade. In the planning stages, they were originally to be green.

CLOUDS OVER CORUSCANT
                            The dramatic sky seen outside the Jedi Temple in the final scene was based on an actual image of the East Bay sky photographed by Dave Filoni during production of this episode.

VOICE OF THE REPUBLIC
                            Playing the role of Palpatine in this episode is actor Tim Curry. He is known for roles in such works as The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Clue, Legend, and It.

FADE TO BLACK
                            The traditional end credits music for this episode has been changed to better preserve the emotions of the final scene. Rather than iris out to the end credits, the final shot fades to black.

Comment

Whats everyones thoughts on the new voice of Palpatine?
                              I think its too different, but Ive only heard it once, so may get used to it.
                              Will also rewatch the episode to check out the younglings.

Anyone know when season 6 may air?

Comment

I'm reluctant to criticise, because I actually really really like Tim Curry. But his take on Palps was a little jarring. I'm interested to see how he does the Sidious voice though.

Comment

Working...
                                X