Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars live-action series -- news/tidbits (spoilers ahoy!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Cannot *facepalms* hard enough for this s--t. Hope it turns out to be a load of hooey.
    Yep.

Temporal paradoxes in Star Wars. I smell retcon bull****.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
      Temporal paradoxes in Star Wars. I smell retcon bull****.

I have barely read up on the show but I assumed in the past it would be about Obi-Wan Kenobi and his trials and tribulations during the times of Episode III and Episode IV, now that would of been cool!

But time travel? *shudder*
      Back from the grave.

Comment

regarding the unconfirmed rumor
        Spoiler:
        I guess as long as the bandits fail in there attempts to stop Darth Vader from ever exsisting and their time travel capibilities are permanently lost in those first episodes, it could be ok.

I just really hope there's no messing about with established events, or the creation of a whole new alternate time line.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
          regarding the unconfirmed rumor
          Spoiler:
          I guess as long as the bandits fail in there attempts to stop Darth Vader from ever exsisting and their time travel capibilities are permanently lost in those first episodes, it could be ok.

I just really hope there's no messing about with established events, or the creation of a whole new alternate time line.
          It could never be okay. We're talking about a fandom that rages about Greedo shooting first, or young Anakin at the end of Jedi. Time Travel would cause a major meltdown.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
            It could never be okay. We're talking about a fandom that rages about Greedo shooting first, or young Anakin at the end of Jedi. Time Travel would cause a major meltdown.
            I wasn't really thinking of fandom being ok(fandom will always rage against something), just that it could be ok storywise(if not abused). I wasn't a fan of either of those changes (especially putting Hayden Christensen as Anakin at the end of Return of the Jedi); but I still think time travel could be ok as long as it doesn't change anything that already happened in the movies.

I get that there is concern that Lucas(or whoever would be in charge now that he's retired again) would use the time travel as an opportunity to make more adjustments to things that already happened in the movies(so that another special addition set of all 6 movies can be released or whatever) or even do a J.J Abrams Trek style reboot of the of the SW franchise. I really don't want either of those things to happen, but it doesn't have to happen just because time travel is involved. I'm trying to remain positive lol , especially since we still don't know how time travel will be used(or even if it will be used at all).
            sigpic

Comment

Wow, just when the title starts to give me hope that this series might be about the side of star wars I most enjoy (Han Solo/Bounty Hunter side) they let the time travel bomb drop.

I'm not really sure how I feel about it. On one hand it's another chance for them to deliver yet another series of brutal gutpunches to the original lore, but on the other hand it's also a chance to erase the bruises of some of the ones that have already landed.

I'd say it depends entirely on who's doing it. If it's Lucas directly then...

Comment

Time travel stories are usually my favorite type of stories in sci-fi or fantasy. Most of my favorite episodes of a TV show are the time travel ones. I love Trek 2009 largely because of its time travel angle. But I don't see time travel working in Star Wars. The one thing I don't want to see in Star Wars is time travel. There are too many events in the universe to have time travel in them too IMO. I smell a retcon of something? I sure hope this is a false rumor.

I like the title of Underworld though......it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                  I love Trek 2009 largely because of its time travel angle. But I don't see time travel working in Star Wars. The one thing I don't want to see in Star Wars is time travel. There are too many events in the universe to have time travel in them too IMO. I smell a retcon of something? I sure hope this is a false rumor.
                  I do too but Time Travel can be good if done well. I'm guessing they could go a similar route to Lost and like have every attempt they do fail miserably while still playing some small part of history; it's not technically retcon per say, it's "whatever happened, happened." or failing that, it could be an alternate universe for only one episode.

The attitude shown on the prequels scares me, I don't want time travel to be used to change stuff or erase the misgivings of the past. Hopefully the producers of the show don't go down that route.
                  Back from the grave.

Comment

What worries me lots about this is George Lucas's--apparent--preference of the prequels over the OT.

From the Complete Saga BD set:
                    Spoiler:

Notice anything wrong with this? No? Check out those insignificant characters tucked away in the top right corner.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Notice anything wrong with this?
                      Course I do, you mean to tell me that Han, Leia, Luke and Lando are less important then young Obi-Wan, Anakin, Qui-Gon and Mace Windi? Without the first film there wouldn't even be a prequel trilogy, so they're like less important then those four.
                      Back from the grave.

Comment

Some more stuff trickling out!

ABC Looking at Long-Awaited Star Wars Live-Action TV Show

The idea for a live-action Star Wars show has been in development for years under Star Wars creator George Lucas, and now that Disney’s recent $4 billion acquisition of the massively popular sci-fi franchise is complete, ABC is taking a look at the long-awaited series, said the network’s entertainment president Paul Lee in an interview with Entertainment Weekly.

“We’d love to do something with Lucasfilm, we’re not sure what yet,” said Lee. “We haven’t even sat down with them. We’re going to look at [the live-action series], we’re going to look at all of them, and see what’s right. We weren’t able to discuss this with them until [the acquisition] closed and it just closed. It’s definitely going to be part of the conversation.”

Despite years of rumors and hype — and the enlistment of talent that EW says included Battlestar Galactica producer Ron Moore — the series never quite made its way to the small screen, which Lucas repeatedly attributed to the stumbling block of financial costs for special effects.

“We just can’t figure out a way of doing that for less than $50 million an episode, and obviously we can’t afford to do that,” Lucas told IGN in 2010. “I’m not going to compromise on the quality of it, so we just have to keep working on the technology to see if we can improve ways of getting the story told without it costing a fortune.”

In 2011, Lucas announced that 50 scripts for hour-long episodes had already been written for a series tentatively titled Star Wars: Underworld, which would take place between Episode III and Episode IV. Star Wars producer Rick McCallum, who said they hoped to shoot the series in Prague, described the series to a Czech media outlet as similar to The Godfather: "It’s the Empire slowly building up its power base around the galaxy, what happens in Coruscant, which is the major capital, and it’s [about] a group of underground bosses who live there and control drugs, prostitution."

McCallum suggested at the time that the show would not be financially feasible for "three or four years," which would place a potential release around 2015 — the same time as the release of the new Star Wars film. While simultaneous film and TV releases might not be considered ideal from a brand perspective, EW suggests that the upcoming Star Wars: 1313 videogame, which reportedly draws heavily on the ideas and concepts for the potential series, could work in the show’s favor:

Sources say story materials and the designs for the TV project were used to help make the game…. This creative strip-mining could arguably help the TV show’s chances — it’s not like Hollywood has been shy about doing crossovers between videogames and films before.
                        While it remains to be seen whether the financial obstacles can be overcome and the TV show — or this version of it — will finally come to pass, it’s still an exciting possibility at an exciting time for Star Wars fans, as the Disney acquisition opens up new possibilities — and revives old ones — for the long-running franchise.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

If all this is true and may happen, please no time travel. Too much of that in SciFi nowadays. I am sick of it.

Only one time did I like the time travel in SciFi was the episode from Star Trek DS9 with the tribbles.

Comment

I'm most interested in Witwer's claim to possibly appear on the show, maybe as Starkiller. Witwer is an awesome actor and I'd really love to see him be Starkiller again, even if it is a cameo.
                            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Thanton View Post
                              If all this is true and may happen, please no time travel. Too much of that in SciFi nowadays. I am sick of it.

Only one time did I like the time travel in SciFi was the episode from Star Trek DS9 with the tribbles.
                              Jedi: OMG, I have found this mystical Force-fused ancient Sith device that allows me to send my essence back through the galactic vortex(whatever)!
                              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                                I'm most interested in Witwer's claim to possibly appear on the show, maybe as Starkiller. Witwer is an awesome actor and I'd really love to see him be Starkiller again, even if it is a cameo.
                                That'd be rather difficult to logically pull off, considering Galen Marek was just a child around 19 BBY. TFU1 isn't even set till 17 years later; just 3-2 years before ANH.

Originally posted by Thanton View Post
                                Originally posted by rushy View Post
                                Jedi: OMG, I have found this mystical Force-fused ancient Sith device that allows me to send my essence back through the galactic vortex(whatever)!
                                Unfortunately, there is precedent for time travel in the SW universe. Fortunately, it's rare and some of the 'confirmed' cases are nothing more than the effects of relativity.

Comment

Working...
                                X