Stardust City Rag (105)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
    Well, there's our next spin off right there, "Star Trek: Fenris Rangers".

Starring Jeri Ryan as Seven of Nine, and Chuck Norris as a hologram of Sgt. Cordell Walker.
    only problem is that Chuck Norris isn't as young as he used to be either...although he does still seem to be in reasonably good shape though...any mugger that would think Chuck Norris an easy mark due to his being a senior citizen would likely still find themselves in for world of pain

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Oh, I have no issues with you having an opinion on these things. It's just the demeaning manner in which you write it, that's telling me you seem to take issue with certain themes displayed in modern television.

Thats the biggest problem with these star trek shows now. They too modern day television that should be about optimistic future. All of the star trek series were made in times when was what ever dark time. TOS had Vietnam war, TNG time was fear of nuclear war. Enterprise was after 911. but pretty much none of them were so dark trek like we have now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkDmRy6SP28

These guys pretty much say it all what i think about this new Star Trek what isnt really in cannon and anything dont make any sense. This modern day TV just sucks.

I have hard time expressing my self even in my own language so never mind in this English that is in writing form the biggest pain and nerves breaking thing ever.

Star Trek work in past cause it was different SCI-FI and the same concept should work today too. The Orville works so why should Star Trek not work ? If they want to make Star Trek then be in cannon or reboot it but stay in the concept. We have dark sci-fi like The Expanse that i like too cause it dont try to be something that it isnt. It's dark fantasy science fiction show like many other modern day sci-fi TV shows. Everything dont need to be dark sci-fi and especially Star Trek.

Tbh there were a lot of things in this episode what was like why. They go in the freecloud with the small ship cause the cant beam in there. Rios was talking that expand the shiel a tiny bit so we can beam in Picard and Seven who had the device so they can beam out that makes some small tunnel in the shield for that but they needed to smuggle it in there in order it to work. Then back in ship Seven takes 2 guns and beams back in like no problems. Took the weird device that allowed them to beam out. Why they not just find the Maddox and beam him out if they didnt need the device afterwards as they had Raffi the insane hacker that got all the info where to find Maddox and so on. Even find her son from the planet cause of her hacking skills.

How does even that make any sense that revenge for Icheb death it takes 13 years for Seven to find they women that looked like Troy ? And then was stupid easy to kill her off ? It's just mind blown how dumb that is. They needed to just get few old nostalgic faces on the show and have them some badass story but that didnt matter how dumb it was and how much no sense it made.
      Last edited by lopo30; 25 February 2020, 11:03 AM.
      sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

The whole point of Star Trek, whatever the era, is to hold a mirror up to today's society and to tell stories about complicated issues without having the TV censors object.

It's often been said that you could strip an episode of Star Trek right down to the barest essentials of its story, set it in the present day, or a hundred years ago, without too much trouble, and it would still work.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          NEW SPIN-OFF needed now... starring Seven of Nine. I would watch that. Heck, I'd get an Amazon Prime account for it (if I could, that is).
          Well, there's our next spin off right there, "Star Trek: Fenris Rangers".

Starring Jeri Ryan as Seven of Nine, and Chuck Norris as a hologram of Sgt. Cordell Walker.
          Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          On Twitter I've seen calls for a Seven and Ro Laren show.
          All this needs to happen lol, I would so watch it.
          Last edited by VampyreWraith; 25 February 2020, 01:41 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Well now, that was a bit of a hoot. Equal parts Mission: Impossible and Ocean's 11.

This is just one of the things I'm enjoying about the series, it's unashamedly wearing of its influences on its sleeve.

Regarding Icheb and Maddox being played by different actors. In the former case it's possibly a combination of Manu Intiraymi having aged quite a bit from his last appearance on Voyager, and also his rather vocal support for Kevin Spacey. In the latter case, I believe it's because Brian Brophy is more a theatre actor these days.

Speculation for later in the season -
            Spoiler:
            I've a feeling the Riker and Troi scenes won't come until the final episode of the season. Picard leaves Soji with the Riker family because he knows she'll be safe there with people he can trust.
            The original actors may not have been available or not interested in reprising their roles.
            Total syffy posts: 36,690
            (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
            Matthew 5:9

Comment

Originally posted by lopo30 View Post

How does even that make any sense that revenge for Icheb death it takes 13 years for Seven to find they women that looked like Troy ? And then was stupid easy to kill her off ? It's just mind blown how dumb that is. They needed to just get few old nostalgic faces on the show and have them some badass story but that didnt matter how dumb it was and how much no sense it made.
              We don't know that she was actively searching for her the entire time. She may have been talked out of revenge for a bit by her friends, but always felt the need to go back to it because it was something she couldn't let go of.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                We don't know that she was actively searching for her the entire time. She may have been talked out of revenge for a bit by her friends, but always felt the need to go back to it because it was something she couldn't let go of.
                Not to mention space is big. Really big. You wouldn't believe how unbelievably big it is. It's not as though Seven would have the resources to find her either. She doesn't have a massive starship and crew at her back looking their talents. It's just her and her dinky little ship, maybe occasionally teaming up with another ranger or two. Seven may have been presented as able to do anything in Voyager but I tend to find that the more unbelievable.

Also as for revenge. It's not as though revenge is a foreign concept in Star Trek. Kirk's gut reaction was to let an entire race die because just one of them killed his son. Worf killed Duras for murdering his lover. Sisko polluted an entire ecosphere to capture Eddington. And though it may not be an act of revenge let's not forget Janeway coldly killing Tuvix to get Tuvok and Neelix back. Revenge and cold hearted decisions are not foreign to Star Trek. And like Worf and Janeway sometimes it is even unrepentant. In actuality I suspect we will see Seven go through some kind of experience to pull her put of this pit she is in. But the nature of serialized television means that we don't see that right away. People who gave up on season one of Discovery often claim it's because it was too dark and the heroine started a war and we're supposed to support her... but we're not. If you watch to the end of the season the whole point of the story is Burnham's redemption of having made a terrible choice for what she felt were the right reasons, to save her crew, and then realising why Starfleet's greater principles mean so much by the end of the season. We haven't seen the end of the story yet.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by pscard View Post
                  The original actors may not have been available or not interested in reprising their roles.
                  With regard to this, I've discovered Manu Intiraymi was injured in a car accident about 18 months ago - more or less when the part was due to be cast. So perhaps he (or his agent) felt it was better to recover fully.
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

I've yet to see evidence of that in any show or movie I've watched over the last ten years... Hell my whole lifetime. I have however seen shows and movies that display women as damsals in distress that need a big strong man to save them every week.
                    It depends on what you watch. Plenty of sitcoms from Everybody Loves Raymond to Two and a Half Men to Home Improvement play with that trope. What Lopo describes is actually a series of related tropes. Even cartoons like Fairly Odd Parents played with that kind of trope. But like I said, it depends on what you watch. I tend not to watch too many TV shows or movies that use that particular trope these days. Though I have never seen this trope on Star Trek, till this day, as far as humans go. It's entirely possible that many of Lopo's entertainment choices do make use of that trope while yours don't.

Where I would argue is that he is only paying attention to examples of this kind of trope and not the counter examples. But to your point, Agnes certainly isn't playing the calm cool kid that Rios is, nor does Raffi play the calculating intelligent leader that Picard plays. Frankly I am at a lost as to why this show would cause anyone to think of the whole "Men are dumb brutes" thing.
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

With regard to this, I've discovered Manu Intiraymi was injured in a car accident about 18 months ago - more or less when the part was due to be cast. So perhaps he (or his agent) felt it was better to recover fully.
                      I didn't hear about his car accident I hope he's doing well.

Thank you for sharing that.
                      Total syffy posts: 36,690
                      (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
                      Matthew 5:9

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                        It depends on what you watch. Plenty of sitcoms from Everybody Loves Raymond to Two and a Half Men to Home Improvement play with that trope. What Lopo describes is actually a series of related tropes. Even cartoons like Fairly Odd Parents played with that kind of trope. But like I said, it depends on what you watch. I tend not to watch too many TV shows or movies that use that particular trope these days. Though I have never seen this trope on Star Trek, till this day, as far as humans go. It's entirely possible that many of Lopo's entertainment choices do make use of that trope while yours don't.

Where I would argue is that he is only paying attention to examples of this kind of trope and not the counter examples. But to your point, Agnes certainly isn't playing the calm cool kid that Rios is, nor does Raffi play the calculating intelligent leader that Picard plays. Frankly I am at a lost as to why this show would cause anyone to think of the whole "Men are dumb brutes" thing.
                        With Fairly Oddparents I thought most of the adults were portrayed as being pretty dumb though. I guess Timmy's dad was a bit dumber than his mom, but I don't remember her actually being smart lol.

In the example with Narek and his sister it's almost the opposite, she's the one who went for brute force and ended up screwing up, while he's going the more subtle manipulatation/seduction angle. It's kind of a role reversal I guess. It's usually the woman going the seduction route while the guy usually goes for brute force. It's a bit different, I like it though.

I'm not actually disagreeing with what you wrote btw, just commenting lol.
                        sigpic

Comment

On Twitter I've seen calls for a Seven and Ro Laren show.
                          Ro's dead.

As for "3 Soong Androids" - there was 4.
                          B4, Lore, Data, and Juliana Tainer.

This episode was pretty good, I thought. I similarly wasn't really expecting the Doc to be suspect (other than from comments here), but it became pretty clear "something was going on" in this ep... Will be interesting to see how long her secret holds out.
                          back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                          "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                          "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                          and lots more!

Comment

Oh and - did we all see - directed by Jonathon Frakes.
                            back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                            "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                            and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                              Ro's dead.
                              Is she? When did that happen?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                                Oh and - did we all see - directed by Jonathon Frakes.
                                Which amused us, especially with the preview of next week's episode.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X