No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Picard -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I imagine we'll start getting it shaded in. Picard is 20 years post-Nemesis, and they've said that the cartoon Lower Decks is going to be set in 2380 (the year after Nemesis), so we'll start getting a feel for the state of the galaxy post-WYLB/Endgame/Nemesis once the shows start up.

I'm also guessing from the Picard trailers we might get a few flashbacks to explain why Picard is the way he is when we meet him in the show.

My wild speculation:

- the Dominion is gone back to the Gamma Quadrant and we won't hear from them again.
    - Cardassia is either in the Federation or a close ally
    - the old Romulan Empire is a mess of refugees wanting Federation protection, military dictators ruling over their fiefdoms, territory conquered by the Klingons, and maybe somewhere an attempt at a real democracy
    - the Borg are crippled if not gone completely as a result of Endgame, BUT
    - all the Alpha Quadrant powers have jazzed up their technology based on Borg technology, not because of the Endgame Voyager (Temporal Prime Directive!), but because of all the derelict Borg tech sitting around
    - Hugh's Borg colony still exists in some fashion
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 02 September 2019, 06:25 AM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I imagine the political growth of the Romulans to be...…. quiet, but the military and the Tal'Shiar would be much, much faster.
      The value of history.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        ^ Exactly what Alan said! I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks should be included or not!

(Even if I am currently watching my way through the TNG era and am going to see it all anyway )
        I haven't watched TNG since I got the complete blu-ray set quite some time ago and I couldn't believe what a hard slog it was watching it. 26 episode seasons is not fun anymore and, if I'm honest, in some respects I don't think TNG has aged very well which also makes it hard to watch too. If I were to rewatch TNG I'd need to do select episodes because I cannot go through 170+ of those b******s again.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        I really want to know the state of the Galaxy. We know next to nothing of what the world looks post Dominion War and Nemesis
        Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        We have a good idea.
        The Federation, an Klingon Empire are probably at peace, the Dominion would have retreated to their home turf as per the results of DS-9 and the Romulans are probably desperate to replace their home world. The Borg have suffered a major setback but not defeat, so are looking for revenge (no matter how "human" that notion is)
        I would imagine a major leap in Romulan and Borg tech, the Fed and Klingons being at the same level as "nemesis".
        Conflict breeds growth, no matter if we would like it to happen in other ways.
        I imagine we'll start getting it shaded in. Picard is 20 years post-Nemesis, and they've said that the cartoon Lower Decks is going to be set in 2380 (the year after Nemesis), so we'll start getting a feel for the state of the galaxy post-WYLB/Endgame/Nemesis once the shows start up.

I'm also guessing from the Picard trailers we might get a few flashbacks to explain why Picard is the way he is when we meet him in the show.

My wild speculation:

- the Dominion is gone back to the Gamma Quadrant and we won't hear from them again.
        - Cardassia is either in the Federation or a close ally
        - the old Romulan Empire is a mess of refugees wanting Federation protection, military dictators ruling over their fiefdoms, territory conquered by the Klingons, and maybe somewhere an attempt at a real democracy
        - the Borg are crippled if not gone completely as a result of Endgame, BUT
        - all the Alpha Quadrant powers have jazzed up their technology based on Borg technology, not because of the Endgame Voyager (Temporal Prime Directive!), but because of all the derelict Borg tech sitting around
        - Hugh's Borg colony still exists in some fashion
        I imagine the political growth of the Romulans to be...…. quiet, but the military and the Tal'Shiar would be much, much faster.
        The value of history.
        All excellent speculations. Everything listed above is probably what we all have been wondering about since Star Trek: Nemesis (and Star Trek '09 in a small way) and I think that this new show will go some way to answering us.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

We have a good idea.
          The Federation, an Klingon Empire are probably at peace, the Dominion would have retreated to their home turf as per the results of DS-9 and the Romulans are probably desperate to replace their home world. The Borg have suffered a major setback but not defeat, so are looking for revenge (no matter how "human" that notion is)
          I would imagine a major leap in Romulan and Borg tech, the Fed and Klingons being at the same level as "nemesis".
          Conflict breeds growth, no matter if we would like it to happen in other ways.
          More or less though we will likely see some more animosity between the Federation and the Klingons.

All in all I think it's fair to take the universe as it is in Star Trek Online as a fair indication of what the galaxy will be like. I doubt CBS will be using it as gospel but the game is set 10 years after Picard and a lot of what is implied in the trailer such as the Romulans being fractured and one side of them experimenting with Borg tech is something that is heavily used as a plot point in STO.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

STO is my mental stumbling block. I find the world they created for the game so plausible/believable in this universe that I have a hard time ignoring it when trying to conceive a different timeline set in the same period.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

STO is my mental stumbling block. I find the world they created for the game so plausible/believable in this universe that I have a hard time ignoring it when trying to conceive a different timeline set in the same period.
              I don't think you'll have to. From what I understand the new team have had a lot of contact with the STO developers and have asked them specifically a lot of questions about the world they designed. I suspect whatever they come up with will either fit nicely into STO's timeline or in such a way that STO will only have to male minor changes in another expansion to get it back in line.

Comment

Seven> "the hell are you doing out here Picard?"

Picard> "saving the franchise"

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post

Disco did that already. It's why we got Picard.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    I don't think you'll have to. From what I understand the new team have had a lot of contact with the STO developers and have asked them specifically a lot of questions about the world they designed. I suspect whatever they come up with will either fit nicely into STO's timeline or in such a way that STO will only have to male minor changes in another expansion to get it back in line.
                    Indeed. I'm a huge fan of STO and love the route that the story has taken post Star Trek: Nemesis and post the destruction of Romulus. I also hope that this new show won't step on the toes of what STO has layed out. But even if it does, as P-90_177 says, in theory it wouldn't take too much for the creators of the game to bring some details in-line with Star Trek: Picard.

LOL So true.

BTW...Am I the only one that really wants to know what the new Starfleet combadges look like? I'm just hoping that TPTB are ignoring those All Good Things... badges. I wasn't really a fan of the hollow delta.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

I am also very curious about the new Starfleet symbol/comm badge! Considering how many times it's been changed over the years, I have to imagine that they'll have a fresh look for it in PIC. The one that I'm really hoping it's not is the one from Future Imperfect (which turned up again for a little while in Parallels). That was okay for a one-off (well, two), but I wouldn't want it every episode.

Comment

I am also very curious about the new Starfleet symbol/comm badge! Considering how many times it's been changed over the years, I have to imagine that they'll have a fresh look for it in PIC. The one that I'm really hoping it's not is the one from Future Imperfect (which turned up again for a little while in Parallels). That was okay for a one-off (well, two), but I wouldn't want it every episode.
                        I'm just wondering if it will include that same sort of split in it that the DISC delta had (I hope not) or if the backing of it will be round or a rectangular. And I agree with you about those badges from Future Imperfect. They weren't the best and I wasn't a fan of the rank being displayed on the combadge backing either which was something that DISC later adapted by having the rank pips on the delta.

Comment

Trekmovie.com has made a an interpretation of what they think it looks like based on studying the limited evidence they’ve seen. Honestly I kinda hope they’re right.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/05/22/a-c...r-trek-picard/

I would prefer the All Good Things style since that would fit the time frame but i’m Sure i’ll Be happy either way.

As for the Future Imperfect badges I really like those. I think having the rank on the com badge makes perfect sense. Though in DSC’s case I wish they still had the rank on the uniform cuffs as well as the badge.

Comment

Disco did that already. It's why we got Picard.
                            'Disco'?

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                            I'm just hoping that TPTB are ignoring those All Good Things... badges. I wasn't really a fan of the hollow delta.
                            on the other hand the future Enterprise D was a beast (hey they kept the same registry number even though it was 30y into the future?) seriously OP with those phasers that could cut through ships like a hot knife

Comment

'Disco'?

on the other hand the future Enterprise D was a beast (hey they kept the same registry number even though it was 30y into the future?) seriously OP with those phasers that could cut through ships like a hot knife
                              Discovery.

Comment

Discovery.
                                haven't watched it but wiki says it's (yet another) series taking place in the past before TOS let alone TNG

might still watch it though

Comment

Working...
                                X