Star Trek: Picard -- speculation/discussion/spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
    Too bad it's going to air on CBS All Access where I am. Maybe I'll get lucky and this will get put on DVD so I can watch it.
    well, if you want to get nit picky on not paying CBS for their er-uhm "product", if you have amazon prime, then you can pay amazon for access through your prime acct to all access

so still paying, just paying amazon

one must keep their ethics and standards you know!

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
      So i’ve Been thinking on this and I have a few theories. I think that girl seeking out Picard in the trailer is a sort of proto-Borg Queen.
      for new queen, or a time travel deal for the original?

he is supposed to know her somehow, yes? so old queen?

i have read that for a 5th season of ENTERPRISE there was a mini arc of eps planned out that would have brought back Alice Krige in some way to play the unaltered. pre queen 'victim' who became queen

it would be interesting to see this as you say. the borg have never been 'backstoried" have they?

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
        well, if you want to get nit picky on not paying CBS for their er-uhm "product", if you have amazon prime, then you can pay amazon for access through your prime acct to all access

so still paying, just paying amazon

one must keep their ethics and standards you know!
        Not quite.... What planet_tv is talking about is the regional distribution model:
        - in the US, Picard is only airing on CBS All Access
        - in Canada, Picard is airing on the TV channel Space, and then running on the streaming service Crave
        - internationally outside of US/Canada, Picard is distributed on Prime

And each of those arrangements is mutually exclusive of the others. US doesn't get it on Space, Crave, or Prime. Canada doesn't get it on CBSAA or Prime. International doesn't get it on CBSAA, Space, or Crave.

I'm sure you'll be in luck regarding home media though, planet_tv. Discovery is being released on DVD/Blu the same as any other show, I'm sure Picard will follow suit.

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
        for new queen, or a time travel deal for the original?

he is supposed to know her somehow, yes? so old queen?

i have read that for a 5th season of ENTERPRISE there was a mini arc of eps planned out that would have brought back Alice Krige in some way to play the unaltered. pre queen 'victim' who became queen

it would be interesting to see this as you say. the borg have never been 'backstoried" have they?
        Hard to tell from this short little trailer. So tantalizing, isn't it?!

Personally, I'm kind of hoping that the girl has nothing at all to do with the Borg, and that her story is something that none of us have even considered. I like surprises
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

i cant stand these 'hate it before it airs' video makers.

i mean, do they even really hate it or are they just trawling for likes and views?

in particular, this doomcock guy. he hates everything except the Expanse and ORVILLE

picard hatred is at the beginning

Comment

They continue to exist because and only because people ( ^ ) repost their garbage, giving them more clicks, encouraging them to continue (and often monetizing as well), so they continue doing it.

The answer is simple: don't watch their crap, and don't repost their crap. If people stop paying attention to them, they're not going to keep doing it.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Via TrekMovie:

At an executive session at TCA with CBS EVP of Original Content Julie McNamara, the subject of Trek came up again. Slashfilm asked McNamara to compare and contrast the upcoming Star Trek: Picard show with Discovery and Star Trek: The Next Generation.

In the past, much has been said about how Picard is different than Discovery, but McNamara did point to one similarity:
              I would say that it is in production, sort of size and scope, [Picard is] probably more similar to Discovery.
              But she also noted how the show is similar to TNG:
              In terms of the characters and the nature of the storytelling, [Picard is] probably more like Next Generation. But of course, we’re a number of years later now so there are some shifts in the storytelling style but I think it’s a really nice hybrid of the two.

During the CBS All Access executive session, it was confirmed that Star Trek: Picard will premiere in the first quarter of 2020. As for the third season of Discovery, CBS President and COO of CBS Interactive Marc DeBevoise said it will premiere “later” in 2020. For the other shows in development, DeBevoise said there was “no timeline at this moment.”

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Not quite.... What planet_tv is talking about is the regional distribution model:
                - in the US, Picard is only airing on CBS All Access
                - in Canada, Picard is airing on the TV channel Space, and then running on the streaming service Crave
                - internationally outside of US/Canada, Picard is distributed on Prime

And each of those arrangements is mutually exclusive of the others. US doesn't get it on Space, Crave, or Prime. Canada doesn't get it on CBSAA or Prime. International doesn't get it on CBSAA, Space, or Crave.

I'm sure you'll be in luck regarding home media though, planet_tv. Discovery is being released on DVD/Blu the same as any other show, I'm sure Picard will follow suit.

Hard to tell from this short little trailer. So tantalizing, isn't it?!

Personally, I'm kind of hoping that the girl has nothing at all to do with the Borg, and that her story is something that none of us have even considered. I like surprises
                no, in the US we can get it on AMZ prime. you have to buy an 'prime add on' channel. this case being CBS all access

it is $5.99 a month this way, the only benefit is that you get fewer commercials. if you go through CBS itself, it is $9.99 for this deal

also, it is just more convenient to have things through prime- a centralized place to go to fav streamers instead of having multiple subscriptions

idk if you can see this since it my acct, but a screen shot of the trailer on prime. if i go into the more options it will try to sign me a cbs add on

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Pic...t-video&sr=1-1

Comment

Via TrekMovie:

At an executive session at TCA with CBS EVP of Original Content Julie McNamara, the subject of Trek came up again. Slashfilm asked McNamara to compare and contrast the upcoming Star Trek: Picard show with Discovery and Star Trek: The Next Generation.

In the past, much has been said about how Picard is different than Discovery, but McNamara did point to one similarity:

But she also noted how the show is similar to TNG:

During the CBS All Access executive session, it was confirmed that Star Trek: Picard will premiere in the first quarter of 2020. As for the third season of Discovery, CBS President and COO of CBS Interactive Marc DeBevoise said it will premiere “later” in 2020. For the other shows in development, DeBevoise said there was “no timeline at this moment.”
                  Two Trek shows in a year... did you actually ever think you'd see the day again?

Like I was confident star trek would eventually return to tv but I never anticipated this in my wildest dreams.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I wasn't even confident about that much! Having multiple shows in production again is...wild.

Comment

I'm kind of worried of oversaturation. That is what killed Trek during Enterprise
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        I'm kind of worried of oversaturation. That is what killed Trek during Enterprise
                        I don't entirely disagree -- viewer fatigue is a very important thing to consider -- but at the same time, part of the Voyager-Enterprise fatigue was in the lack of creativity. The same damn people had been writing and running Trek for nearly 20 years at that point, and it showed. They were tapped out of ideas and were just recycling the same crap over and over again.

With the current iteration of the Trek franchise, Alex Kurtzman's job isn't quite analogous to the role that Rick Berman and Brannon Braga had back in the day. Where Berman and Braga were serving as direct showrunners and writing episodes with some frequency, Kurtzman is not. Kurtzman seems to be a bit more of a 'brand manager,' while there are specific showrunners handling all the details on each series.

Comment

I don't entirely disagree -- viewer fatigue is a very important thing to consider -- but at the same time, part of the Voyager-Enterprise fatigue was in the lack of creativity. The same damn people had been writing and running Trek for nearly 20 years at that point, and it showed. They were tapped out of ideas and were just recycling the same crap over and over again.

With the current iteration of the Trek franchise, Alex Kurtzman's job isn't quite analogous to the role that Rick Berman and Brannon Braga had back in the day. Where Berman and Braga were serving as direct showrunners and writing episodes with some frequency, Kurtzman is not. Kurtzman seems to be a bit more of a 'brand manager,' while there are specific showrunners handling all the details on each series.
                          Yeah definitely this. Also unlike Berman, Kurtzman isn't going to be so insistent on keeping things firmly within the Rodenberry Box which the writers often noted was what held them back and led to the stagnation. They simply ran out of ways to tell a story without breaking free of Rodenberry's Ghost and Berman's iron grip. This does run its own risks But the writers of current trek are such big Trek fans that I feel we can trust them to stick to Rodenberry's core ideals of a positive future without being restricted by his more dogmatic directives of how the show should be that goes back all the way to TNG season 1.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

You guys beat me to the punch with the Robert Picardo thing. Here's a video done by Trekcore that covers Roberts recent inverviews about it.
                            God this show opens up so many cool things for not just TNG fans but Voyager and DS9 fans too!

Blakes Sanctum: Retro site for retro games! Age of Wonders, Babylon 5, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Elder Scrolls, Dune, Final Fantasy, Freelancer, Heroes of Might & Magic, Imperium Galactica, Master of Magic, Quest for Glory, Starflight, Star Trek & more!

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              They are going to go all "Disney" with this. ala Star Wars/MArvel with numerous tv shows and films

did you see where they have trademarked 3 titles this yr? at least 2 of them are,as of now, to be tv shows

and then they have lower decks and another Trek cartoon coming as well

Comment

And it's working - Disney is making money hand over fist, because the demand for the product is there.

I guess we'll just have to see if the same is true for CBS and Trek. (For me, 100%, I will watch it all)

Comment

Working...
                                X