• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spinny magee View Post
    Liked
    > Story was generally pretty good
    > SFX as good as ever
    > The whole reverse Spock/Kirk radiation scene
    > Khan was excellent despite whatever hate Benedict got for not being part of the preferred ethnic group for the character
    > Action scenes were pretty good

Didn't like
    > Random Leonard Nimoy appearance out of nowhere for no reason
    > Another time travel story was kind of unimaginative
    > Klingons still don't intimidate anyone
    > Klingons still thugs and not best warriors in universe
    > Kirk revival was an anti-climax, although I suppose having him stay dead and revived in another sequel would have followed original movies a bit too much and would leave less room for new ideas.
    > Not enough McCoy
    Time Travel O-o
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Comment

I saw it last night, far too late in its UK release for my liking! Finally got a good opportunity after work...

Liked it. It was enjoyable, and perhaps because I'm not a huge Trekkie I didn't necessarily pick up on all the little things that a true fan would be very aware of; still, I think Abrams has done a good job. In this cultural climate - where sci-fi is becoming a staple genre - it would've been insane for Paramount not to do something with what can only be described as the "Mother-Of-All-Sci-Fi".

I think the time travel stuff protects the original shows; gives them an opportunity to start their own mini-franchise, whilst leaving the others intact, and even brings them to the foreground when they give Nimoy his cameos.

Still, although a decent movie, Into Darkness wasn't as good as the first one in my view. Cumberbatch was fantastic, and the sequence with Clarke was pretty cool. However, my most memorable acting moment had nothing to do with Benedict:

Spoiler:
      It was the warp core scene near the end, between Kirk and Spock. Yes, I know it was a rip-off of Wrath of Khan, but it was still a fantastic exchange between Pine and Quinto. Also, as far as the acting goes, everyone was great: and I'm glad the Peggster got to see a bit of action, even if I did think I heard his accent slip a couple times. At least he's not seen as an obvious comedic ploy (rather, a natural one) in Star Trek, compared to his other big role in recent years, as Benji in the leviathan-size pile of poo that was Mission Impossible 4.
      If there is hope... it lies in the proles.

Comment

Originally posted by spinny magee View Post
        Liked
        > Story was generally pretty good
        > SFX as good as ever
        > The whole reverse Spock/Kirk radiation scene
        > Khan was excellent despite whatever hate Benedict got for not being part of the preferred ethnic group for the character
        > Action scenes were pretty good

Didn't like
        > Random Leonard Nimoy appearance out of nowhere for no reason
        > Another time travel story was kind of unimaginative
        > Klingons still don't intimidate anyone
        > Klingons still thugs and not best warriors in universe
        > Kirk revival was an anti-climax, although I suppose having him stay dead and revived in another sequel would have followed original movies a bit too much and would leave less room for new ideas.
        > Not enough McCoy
        Maybe I didn't see the same movie...but I honestly don't remember any time travel.
        sigpic

Comment

Before i watch Into Darkness, i not so interested this movie.
          After watch it, I change my opinion. It is actually quite enjoyable

DW's Mickey blow himself up in the Section 31 installation in London. Fleet's HQ still in SF.
          Sometime i feel pity for this version Khan, at least he still care about his crew.

Spoiler(Proof):
          When Kirk told him fire the new photon torpedo, Khan ask how many of them.
          Kirk said all 72 of them. Khan surrender

And Carol's father(Peter Weller)cross the line big time, he murder their own officer on board the Enterprise.
          Even the prime version Section 31 would't cross this line intentionally.

interesting twist for Spock and Kirk swap their role for the prime timeline.
          New Spock calling prime spock on New Vulcan, isn't that cheating?
          Khan frozen again with his crew........

way to go J.J Abrams
          sigpic

Comment

Does anyone have an idea when the DVD will be released...?
            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
            To thy own self... Be true
            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
              Does anyone have an idea when the DVD will be released...?
              As far as I know, that sort of information isn't usually released while a movie is still in theaters.
              Meh...

Comment

I asked as it is looking like I won't get to see the movie in the movie theater near me.
                'RL' is getting in the way.
                "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                To thy own self... Be true
                May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                  I asked as it is looking like I won't get to see the movie in the movie theater near me.
                  'RL' is getting in the way.
                  Sometimes...ya gotta make time for yourself...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Livestick View Post
                    Really? I thought the 3D was the worst of any 3D movie I've ever seen (a grand total of 3, so maybe I'm not the best person to make a judgement like that). I never even noticed it except when the Enterprise went to warp at the very end. I feel like I probably could have gotten the exact same experience for half the cost had I gone to a 2D showing.
                    My hubby and I saw it in 2D (or flat screen, so to speak). However, there were portions where I could tell were specifically made into 3D effects, because the depth perception was crystal clear and definitely had a 3D feel to the images on the (2D) screen.

Originally posted by Easter Lily View Post
                    Cumberbatch was a great villain. More my kind of superhuman killing machine. Nothing can quite beat that baritone either.

Chris Pine blew me away with his performance. I knew he was a good actor but he was great here. Makes the role his own.
                    Cumberbatch's voice was definitely deep. Kind of mesmerizing, in a way..
                    Chris Pine was great! Loved how he just jumped into everything -- fearless leader/captain!
                    Chris Pine's physical appearance as "James T. Kirk" seems to be a *nice* blending between the original William Shatner's "Kirk" and Jeffrey Hunter's "Christopher Pike" (from "The Cage" eppy) in their physical appearances. There are times when I can see either one in Chris Pine's screen pics, more of Jeffrey Hunter, tho, unless I'm just trying to see Chris's image that way.
                    Since William Shatner has been said to not be too interested in Star Trek, then it shouldn't (also) be a problem for the title as "Captain James T. Kirk" to default and stay nicely with--to Chris Pine. Chris has done a wonderful job taking on the role, even if he seems to be a bit young in years in contrast to the original ST series.

And while on that same handing the baton down subject, there was one scene with new Spock, portrayed by Zachary Quinto, who looked almost *exactly* like OLD Spock, portrayed by Leonard Nimoy. It was awesome! I think I heard Leonard Nimoy was more than happy to hand the role/baton down to his new self by Zachary Quinto, which was quite a contrast of info from William Shatner's reaction to the "reboot" of Star Trek. I LIKE the new James T. Kirk (Chris Pine).. I've always enjoyed watching Jeffrey Hunter's youthful looking "Christopher Pike", so this is very easy to watch for me, and more so, because I've heard good comments about how Chris Pine is easy (easier) to work with (than William Shatner was).

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
                    I've seen it twice and I loved, loved, loved it !!!!!!!!! even more !!!!!!! I heard though that it doesn't do well in the theaters ???
                    Well, I don't know how the first week of theater sales went, but where we went, there was less than 14 people in the entire room. It felt like a nice *private* movie viewing...
                    I think maybe some people are holding out on waiting for the DVD.

Originally posted by yukin1990 View Post
                    Before i watch Into Darkness, i not so interested this movie.
                    After watch it, I change my opinion. It is actually quite enjoyable
                    Spoiler(Proof):
                    interesting twist for Spock and Kirk swap their role for the prime timeline.
                    New Spock calling prime spock on New Vulcan, isn't that cheating?
                    Truthfully, I had mixed feelings about seeing this, but tagged along to keep my hubby happy.
                    I, too, was very impressed.. tho, there seemed to be a dizzying amount of extreme action almost non-stop.

And yeah, I think Spock breaking protocol with the timelines was considered a no-no.
                    Tho, I was pleasantly surprised seeing
                    Spoiler:
                    Leonard Nimoy reprising his original "Spock" role. That seemed like a well kept secret *spoiler* of sorts.

I also didn't expect Leonard Nimoy's "Spock" to rat out on Khan from his own timeline into the new reboot version. However, I did suspect new Spock was up to a back-up plan B of sorts.. I just wasn't expecting it to be a consultation with old Spock.

wow. ...

Comment

One item I'd like to add is that the production team on this movie paid extreme attention to details -- meaning the very FABRIC of the clothes worn had the Star Trek communicator insignia designed right into the fabric itself. Whoa! that must have been a nightmare to make in mass production. I'm sure the fabric makers were quite happy to find that their work *was* indeed noticed by at least one person (me..! =)

I thought I was seeing *things* in the various uniforms and cloths used themselves, and I was right -- I did see something! It was the same "A-shaped" design as in the communicators. And not only that -- when Kirk got a specific injury, the marking on his right (facial) cheek looked like the same "A-shaped" sort of similar insignia marking!
                      How's that for details..?

Comment

Working...
                      X