Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Replicator and Food in Star Trek.

"No son of mine is going to eat that replicated slop Starfleet calls food"

The Replicator's a great tech piece in Star Trek and does make sense on Starships and space stations where there isn't space for lots of food stores. One thing I've noticed is the usual lamenting you'll see some characters make over The Quality of what food comes out of the Replicator or if it's just that one time I remember quark complaining about the Synthehol the Defiant's Replicators produced -from "The Search."

Voyager Resupplied with fresh food and not sure how the Enterprise Resupplied if it fully used it's Replicators to provide food.

DS9 had the Replimat and Quarks [as well as the Klingon Restaurant]

Still one has to wonder about the Replicator which in Enterprise they have a Protein Re sequencer which I Assume is used to make food as well.Trip Explained that-that episode where he got the "Poop Question."- which I don't think I saw one unless it's that device in the Mess where they ask that device for whatever liquid they want.

Just seems like DS9 Used the Replicators the most,Voyager didn't use them that often due to power limitations course I'm not sure how good Voyager's Replicators are [Well they'd have to be good to produce Janeway a good cup of coffee otherwise she'd probably be pissed at them all the time] Course we remember Tom Paris at the Replicator...

Just one thing that Having a Replicator would be great, just you'd have to wonder if you could get used too it especially if you've been eating freshly prepared food and could tell if something was off with what you were eating.

Klingons keep fresh food supplies on their vessels right? So I doubt they use Replicators for food.
    Continuing to work on my Blog, which is my showcase and other things related to what I'm working on!

Check it out here!

https://tyjos84.wordpress.com

The replicator wasn't invented until the 24th century so the Enterprise (NX-01) does not have replicators. As for the quality its the really the fresh aspect. Would you rather eat an apple off a tree or one bought from the store. Most would say the tree. Think of replicated food as food bought from the groccery store
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

I'm more puzzled by the way things are prepared. You're always seeing people cutting up their food just the same way we would (a steak or whatever).

But if you've got a magic machine that can generate an exact food/drink at an exact temperature, surely the machine can generate it pre-cut into bite-sized chunks.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I wouldn't mind having one of these for sure.

I recall in Star Trek VI The Enterprise Gally they were preparing food, I guess one could be glad that in the Original Series I think they had Food Processors but still fixed and prepared food... -After all I do remember Kirk Complaining about "This is my Chicken Sandwich Coffee,I want these things off the ship I don't care if it takes every man we got I want them off the ship."

Not like I can go up to a Replicator and say "I'd like a Sandwich cut into small pieces please."

Good thing they still have silver wear in the 24th century....
        Continuing to work on my Blog, which is my showcase and other things related to what I'm working on!

Check it out here!

https://tyjos84.wordpress.com

Comment

I would post it from youtube, but its not on there . But in one scene Odo asks Kira why she doesn't ask for her coffee at a cool temperature. And her reply is its part of the experience is drinking it slowly. I would say its the same for cutting a steak part of the experience is doing it yourself, plus everyone has different bite sizes.
          sigpic

Comment

If matter can be made into matter, why did voyager have such an energy problem?

Couldn't they just grab a bunch of random junk and make some energy?

Comment

I think in voyagers case it was more of a power issue then a "matter" issue. They needed all their power for other systems, and since they wouldn't be able to replace them easily they needed to make sure they were well powered.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X