Star Trek: Of Gods and Men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek: Of Gods and Men

When I heard the words fan film, I expected a FAN film. Instead, I'm astounded to discover that this "fan film" that has a lot of ST cast members is more awesome than the Abrams movie a LOT.
    To those that haven't seen it, it's a TOS movie taking place 12 years after Kirk has vanished(and a few weeks after Scotty vanished).

Story: An old Charlie Evans returns from Thasian space to avenge his imprisonment, only to discover that Kirk is already "dead". Thus, he goes to the Guardian of Forever where Captains Uhura, Chekov and Harriman(from Generations. Nice beard btw) find him. Evans goes back in time and prevents Kirk's birth. As a consequence, an evil mirror universe-like reality is created where a powerful being named Kirot Prime rules over the tyrannical Galactic Power. Harriman is a sadistic captain of the GSS Conqueror, Chekov is a freedom fighter and Uhura is living on Vulcan with her friend Tuvok.

It's awesome, action, adventure that brings back legends one more time... to destroy each other.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Has anyone seen OGAM? Or Phase II/New Voyages?
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I didn't really like Of Gods and Men much. A bit too much 'OMG THIS IS STAR TREK!!!!1111one' fanwank for my liking.

New Voyages is okay though. I just wish they were a bit faster on their production cycle.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

There's already a discussion here. As for the fan film, I tried to watch a clip on YouTube. Eh, it was too low budget, too ingrained in the franchise. Interestingly, both this and the 2009 movie deal with an alternate timeline created by a time traveling villain. In the fan film, the timeline is restored. In the new movie, the future is lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          There's already a discussion here. As for the fan film, I tried to watch a clip on YouTube. Eh, it was too low budget, too ingrained in the franchise. Interestingly, both this and the 2009 movie deal with an alternate timeline created by a time traveling villain. In the fan film, the timeline is restored. In the new movie, the future is lost.
          Which is why this film is awesome and the other isn't. So much. And who cares about low budget and bad special effects? Look at TOS, you don't see fancy future effects there so much do you? Yet in both cases, the story is fantastic.

Comment

I said nothing of bad special effects. I said it was low budget. I don't like cheap-looking low budget productions. TOS doesn't suffer from this, because it was a production of the 1960's. Most TV shows from back then had that same kind of look.

Comment

Cheap-looking or not, the main thing is an awesome story and awesome actors. This got both and it turned out fantastic.

Comment

The story's been done, and there wasn't anything new to draw me in. A great cast was assembled, but it just didn't work. It felt too look, we're parading around for the fans than like a movie.

Comment

In my opinion it did.

Comment

Working...
                  X