Photos from early Trek conventions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photos from early Trek conventions

The first 'Star Trek' conventions were spawned from a letter-writing campaign, spearheaded by a largely female group of fans, to keep the struggling show alive. While their efforts kept the original show going for just one more season ('Trek' was on the air from 1966 to 1969), the Trekkie army grew by the thousands. In this gallery, costume designer Angelique Trouvere, a Trekkie from way back (at right, sporting a "Deela" costume at a 1976 convention), offers a glimpse into the wild, weird and women-centric conventions of the early 1970s. Set your phasers on funky, as we warp nostalgic in this "Star Trek" family album.
    See the pictures here. (Just keep hitting next)

I think it's interesting that it was mostly women going to these in the beginning.

deforest kelley is such a badass

Comment

I went to a few in the 90's. I dressed up as an alien and my friend as a Klingon. She got interviewed for local tv! It's on a VHS tape somewhere in her parent's house.
      Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

I attended the Trek cons in the 70s and one of my fondest memories was the story Deforest Kelley told of his pet, Myrtle the Turtle. He said that he and his wife wanted something older than them.
        Total syffy posts: 36,690
        (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
        Matthew 5:9

Comment

I'll be going to my first one in chicago this june!

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
            See the pictures here. (Just keep hitting next)

I think it's interesting that it was mostly women going to these in the beginning.
            The link no longer works.

Maybe we can post our own pictures from those early con days.
            Total syffy posts: 36,690
            (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
            Matthew 5:9

Comment

Originally posted by pscard View Post
              The link no longer works.

Maybe we can post our own pictures from those early con days.
              Worked just fine for me today. (6/16/15)

Comment

Yeah the link works for me!

I've got some old convention pictures that were gifted to me from conventions I haven't been to. I've never shared them with anyone, but if anyone wants to see them, let me know! They feature the TOS and TNG casts
                sigpic
                Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Working...
                X