X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robin Curtis Talks Spock Love Child & Romulan Saavik

http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/05/robi...omulan-saavik/

Robin Curtis Talks Spock Love Child & Romulan Saavik

After Kirstie Alley declined to return to the role of the Vulcan Saavik for Star Trek III, director Leonard Nimoy picked Robin Curtis to fill the role. Curtis was also brought back as Saavik for Star Trek IV, but just a brief cameo. In a new interview with the official Star Trek site, the actress talks about coming back and what might have been:
    That was just such a weird left curve, to be honest. Given what had happened with Kirstie Alley, they negotiated for each film after the third, for the fourth, the fifth and the sixth. For somebody who’s 28 years old and had never made than a few bucks a year, that’s quite an event, to have a contract that provided for three films in years to come. Then, weeks and weeks before the filming (on Star Trek IV) was to begin – and the contract would then be void, because it had a timeframe on it – my people were reaching out to Paramount, saying, “What’s going on?” They wouldn’t say anything. They wouldn’t reveal. They kept putting us off. That, of course, raised a flag. “Something’s not right. This character isn’t being groomed. They will not be following the storyline that we had been led to think they would,” which was that Saavik would be pregnant and there’d be this whole connection between her and Spock. Lo and behold, all this hope that there might be greater involvement for
    the character turned into those few lines.
    Specifically on the issue of Saavik being pregnant (with Spock’s child), Curtis added:
    I do think there were a couple of lines that might have hinted that something was going on with her, and those were eliminated. So I handed over the disk and simply wished him a journey free of incident, and that was it. That was such a comedown from where they had led me to think it would go.
    In past interviews producer Harve Bennett says it was director Leonard Nimoy’s decision to remove discussion of Saavik’s pregnency because he was "very uncomfortable" with it. Nimoy has also said that the decision to limit Saavik’s role in the film (by leaving her on Vulcan) was to simplify the film as she would be "extraneous on this trip."

Curtis also weighed in on the often-discussed topic that Saavik was actually half-Romulan, saying:
    My understanding was that Kirstie Alley and (Khan writer-director) Nicholas Meyer wanted Saavik to be Vulcan and Romulan and he directed her to include elements of both. And the books may have elaborated on that. I’m aware of the argument about the books, in general: Are they or aren’t they official, or canon? But in the case of Star Trek III and Saavik, it really didn’t matter. Leonard felt that Saavik was Vulcan. That was his choice, and his choice was my choice. I played Saavik the way he asked me to play her.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I always liked Robin better than Kirstie Alley.
    sigpic
    Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

I liked both actresses in the role of Saavik, and I always saw her as a pure Vulcan. In The Wrath of Khan, I just assumed she was a younger Vulcan who wasn't as good at repressing her emotions as other Vulcans. Besides, who's to say that all Vulcans have the exact same rigid capability of emotional repression? It would be more realistic to see some Vulcans somewhat emotional (by Vulcan standards) while others would make Spock look downright human by comparison. I always liked it when Star Trek explored emotional Vulcans. They always went nutz!

Comment

I liked the idea of a part Romulan Saavik. I think it added something to the character. I heard Lt. Valeris was originally intended to be Lt. Saavik in the sixth movie, but the scriptwriters decided that it was out of character for Saavik
        Spoiler:
        to be a traitor

Comment

It was actually Gene Roddenberry that nixed that idea, because he didn't want negative fan reaction.

That, and they didn't want to have to cast a third actress for the same role.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'm glad Saavik wasn't the traitor in The Undiscovered Country. We saw few Vulcans in Spock's time, so bringing in yet another Vulcan character was a breath of fresh air. That, and I agree with the idea that it would be out of character for Saavik. She was too Spock-like to do something so devious. As for recasting... a third actress? That hasn't stopped the Terminator saga from recasting John Connor in each movie sequel and again for the TV series.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
              That hasn't stopped the Terminator saga from recasting John Connor in each movie sequel and again for the TV series.
              No idea what you're talking about. There are only two Terminator movies, and that was the end of the franchise

I guess having 3 actresses portray the same character actually ended up happening later on, with Ziyal.

Comment

Why no love for the later movies and TV series?

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  It was actually Gene Roddenberry that nixed that idea, because he didn't want negative fan reaction.

That, and they didn't want to have to cast a third actress for the same role.
                  You hear so many stories, it's hard to sort out the truth. I also read that Kirstie Alley either; 1. wanted too much money or 2. thought she'd look fat in the uniform. Either could be true.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
                    You hear so many stories, it's hard to sort out the truth. I also read that Kirstie Alley either; 1. wanted too much money or 2. thought she'd look fat in the uniform. Either could be true.
                    It was money. When she was cast in TWoK she was a nobody--it was literally her second acting role. When they found out that the role was going to be just as large if not larger in TSfS, her agent demanded more money even than they were paying DeForest Kelley.

So they said 'no thanks,' and hired Robin Curtis instead.

Comment

I wonder, did Kirstie know what her agent was doing at the time?

Comment

What I find interesting when it comes to Saavik being Romulan is how I can not see Robin Curtis' performance in anyway being that of a Romulan, however Kirstie Alley I could easily have believed is a Romulan as she always seemed to have some smug, superior look on her face.

I think Curtis played a Vulcan really well, so unless a movie is done to retcon it (Trekverse, not Abramsverse) she'll always be a Vulcan to me.

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                        I wonder, did Kirstie know what her agent was doing at the time?
                        If it's the same Agent who got her the role on Cheers, I think he's more than made up for screwing her out of Trek 3/4.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X