No announcement yet.

Is TOS worth watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dynamics of TOS are so different than that of any Trek that came after - Kirk, Spock, and McCoy interactions are so far removed from those of what you may have come to expect from later iterations of Captain/subordinate interactions. Much of TOS is internal character conflict driven - they frequently couldn't afford alien sets and so kept things aboard the ship and among the crew. You wouldn't find that sort of thing happening in later crews - Picard's word was accepted as final - no questions, at least not in front of anyone else! Not so with Kirk.

It becomes a wonderful sociological study of an incapsulated society.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
      i hated TNG so i didn't even watch TOS i did watch the TOS films i liked them
      What was so bad about TNG? I would argue that it was the best incarnation of Star Trek.

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
      The dynamics of TOS are so different than that of any Trek that came after - Kirk, Spock, and McCoy interactions are so far removed from those of what you may have come to expect from later iterations of Captain/subordinate interactions. Much of TOS is internal character conflict driven - they frequently couldn't afford alien sets and so kept things aboard the ship and among the crew. You wouldn't find that sort of thing happening in later crews - Picard's word was accepted as final - no questions, at least not in front of anyone else! Not so with Kirk.

It becomes a wonderful sociological study of an incapsulated society.
      Gene Roddenberry had a mandate stating that in the 24th century, humans no longer fought amongst each other. Conflict came from outside rather than from the crew. However, even then, Picard's word wasn't always accepted, and there were often character conflicts. Did you see the episode where Data made an android daughter without consulting anyone for permission? DS9 solved this problem by introducing numerous alien characters who could provide internal conflict without being the guest star of the week. Voyager also got around this by having a third of the crew being rebels absorbed into the Starfleet crew. Finally, Enterprise shifted back in time to the 22nd century to allow the characters to be more realistic, closer to today, and full of conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
        Gene Roddenberry had a mandate stating that in the 24th century, humans no longer fought amongst each other.
        I don't think I really knew about Gene's vision of the future until well into watching TNG in the early-mid 90's... but I must say it was such a delight to see that someone was so optimistic about the future... especially considering "real" human nature... (No, sadly, I really can't see this vision becoming a reality... capitalism and the pseudo-democracy we currently experience in the Western world is about as good as it will ever get...)
        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post

Gene Roddenberry had a mandate stating that in the 24th century, humans no longer fought amongst each other. Conflict came from outside rather than from the crew. However, even then, Picard's word wasn't always accepted, and there were often character conflicts. Did you see the episode where Data made an android daughter without consulting anyone for permission? DS9 solved this problem by introducing numerous alien characters who could provide internal conflict without being the guest star of the week. Voyager also got around this by having a third of the crew being rebels absorbed into the Starfleet crew. Finally, Enterprise shifted back in time to the 22nd century to allow the characters to be more realistic, closer to today, and full of conflict.
          Picard: "I would have liked to have been consulted"
          Data: "I have not noticed anyone else onboard consulting you about their procreation"

Hardly CONFLICT! Not a good example for trying to illustrate that Picard's word wasn't always accepted. Yes, he was surprised by Lal and comprehended the ramifications immediately, but that didn't mean conflict.

Picard: "You can't activate and deactivate - it's a life, Data!" (sounds as if he understood the ramifications pretty thoroughly)

Now, Riker questioned the captain on several occasions - but NEVER in front of the crew. That would be a better example of internal character conflict, albeit a very mild and respectful one.
          sigpic

Comment

I like to watch an episode or two sometimes, same with the old Doctor Whos. I handle it better in small doses generally but it depends on my mood. Some of them are pretty good story wise. I like the ones with the planet killer, the Gorn, the Organians and the one with (*), ect.
            sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
              Picard: "I would have liked to have been consulted"
              Data: "I have not noticed anyone else onboard consulting you about their procreation"

Hardly CONFLICT! Not a good example for trying to illustrate that Picard's word wasn't always accepted. Yes, he was surprised by Lal and comprehended the ramifications immediately, but that didn't mean conflict.

Picard: "You can't activate and deactivate - it's a life, Data!" (sounds as if he understood the ramifications pretty thoroughly)

Now, Riker questioned the captain on several occasions - but NEVER in front of the crew. That would be a better example of internal character conflict, albeit a very mild and respectful one.
              The arguement that stood out to me was in s1's Symbiosis:

DATA: Somehow, and there is limited information on this point, the cure was found in a plant indigenous to only Brekka, and which resisted all attempts at cultivation on Ornara.
              RIKER: In any case, a trading situation developed which still exists.
              CRUSHER: A nice arrangement for the Brekkians.
              RIKER: And for the Ornarans. Without the medicine, they would all die.
              CRUSHER: No they wouldn't. Despite what the Ornarans have been saying, it's not a medicine. It was a medicine, but it cured the plague two hundred years ago. The plague is irrelevant now. It doesn't exist.
              RIKER: Then why are they so desperate for the felicium?
              CRUSHER: It's an addiction. The physical and psychological need is very real.
              PICARD: Thank you.
              CRUSHER: What are you going to do?
              PICARD: Based on what we know so far, there's nothing I can do.
              CRUSHER: You don't think drug addiction and exploitation is sufficient cause to do something?
              PICARD: This situation has existed for a very long time. These two societies are intertwined in a symbiotic relationship.
              CRUSHER: With one society profiting at the expense of the other.
              PICARD: That's how you see it.
              CRUSHER: I can synthesise a non-addictive substitute which will ease their withdrawal symptoms.
              PICARD: No, I can't do that either.
              CRUSHER: You can't let them have the felicium.
              PICARD: Why? Because it offends against our sensibilities? It is not our mission to impose Federation or Earth values on any others in the galaxy.
              CRUSHER: Well in this case, Captain, I disagree, one hundred percent.

^ that took place on the bridge. Whilst I disagree with the removal of Crusher, I can see why how she must've raised Gene's hackles somewhat. Interestly, that was probably the most character conflict we got out of the entire series
              sigpic

Comment

I'd say yes. Although Trek has evolved a lot over the decades, the baseline basics of the concept hold true right through to VGR. Its just a shame that constant fighting with outsiders became such a common element in the later series along with weird time travel ideas.

TOS is not perfect, it was the classic budget restricted series that became a hit, because its ideas had to override the basic props and sets. It still holds true for New Voyages / Phase Two series.
                Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

TOS is the very heart of Star Trek and it's a lot different than all the other shows. If you want to be chronological, start with Enterprise.

The main difference of TOS is that it's not chained by canon. By that I mean that all the following shows had to follow TOS and TNG and DS9 and VOY canon, but TOS had to follow no one's, it was pure imagination.
                  "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                    If you want to be chronological, start with Enterprise.
                    Save Enterprise for last. It's a prequel, and hence a lot of the prequel stories will fall flat if you haven't seen the episodes/movies that Enterprise's stories lead into.

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                    The main difference of TOS is that it's not chained by canon. By that I mean that all the following shows had to follow TOS and TNG and DS9 and VOY canon, but TOS had to follow no one's, it was pure imagination.
                    Sometimes, it didn't follow it's own canon from earlier episodes. Granted, that had more to do with how television was done back in the day. The people at the time didn't anticipate reruns and home video.

Comment

I actually showed two episodes of TOS to my sociology classes yesterday (we had sparse attendance due to some students being at state-mandated testing). It's surprising how much 17 year olds really enjoyed it! Second period got Tribbles and 5th period got Who Mourns for Adonais? (we're studying religion right now)
                      sigpic

Comment

TOS is. TNOS isn't so much(but it has some fun too). That's all.
                        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

What on Earth is "TNOS"?
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Ditto

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              What on Earth is "TNOS"?
                              Nickname. It stands for The New Original Series(Abrams movies).

Comment

Never heard that one before....probably because it's neither the 'original' nor a 'series'
                                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                                X