TNG Blu-ray "sampler"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TNG Blu-ray "sampler"

A while ago we talked about it in a more general thread about TNG/DS9 on BD, but I thought now that there's a bit of news we can talk about it in its own right. Quoting from TSOD:

A bit over a month ago we passed along word from our friend Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits that a high-def Blu-ray Disc version of Star Trek: The Next Generation was most certainly in the works, with the first release being a 4-episode "sampler" disc which is expected before the end of this year. Last Thursday TNG cast member LeVar Burton ("Geordi La Forge") tweeted the confirmation by saying "Stopped by to see how the TNG conversion to HD for Blue Ray [sic] was coming along... #mindblown". Today Bill's "My Two Cents" update over at TheDigitalBits.com explains that the 4 episodes on this sampler - per his contacts at CBS DVD - will consist of "Encounter at Farpoint, Part 1", "Encounter at Farpoint, Part 2", "The Inner Light" and "Sins of the Father".

Yes, it could be argued that "Farpoint" is actually a single episode of double-the-length, rather than two separate ones...but that discussion is not going to change the contents of this sampler, so it's a moot point. Either way you're getting the equivalent of 4 broadcast hours of the show, right? As Bill notes in his write-up, the studio still hasn't formally announced the Blu-ray title's release date, cost or other information yet, but it should be too long now. Especially (as also pointed out by Bill) this Thursday, September 8th marks the 45th Anniversary of the NBC debut of the original Star Trek series. This is certainly a show which has lived long, and prospered! Stay tuned for updates.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Disappointed with Encounter at Farpoint. It really is an absolute bore of an episode. Best of Both Worlds would have been a far better choice. Good to also see The Inner Light as I remember someone suggesting it.

Sins of the Father is an interesting choice. Inner Light I can understand due to the space effects, on board the Enterprise and the different stages of the life Picard leaves and I believe the lighting too. Encounter at Farpoint is the pilot so makes sense too but at the same time still has a lot of different locations to explore in HD. I'm not sure if Sins of the Father is being added because it's a Klingon episode, a cool Worf episode or if there is some quality it in HD has (been a while since I have seen it so I can't visualise it).

sigpic

Comment

I could think of better episodes to include other than Encounter at Farpoint. I'll buy it when it come out though. Whether or not I even have a BR player.
      "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
      - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

I actually really Enjoy Encounter at Farpoint.......................just because it take a really cheesy script to make a shakespearean actor like Patrick Stewart sound amateurish.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

i never actually seen encounter at farpoint.

Comment

"Farpoint" makes some sense, it is the pilot after all. It is kind of like two episodes. Keep in mind Roddenberry wrote the Q stuff only after Paramount said the pilot would be a two parter. It is also a very effects heavy episode, especially with many of Q's effects. The "Inner Light" seems to be an okay idea, I'm guessing that it is because they want to just show off what they can do in terms of cleaning up the picture. As for "Sins of the Father," well it is the start of TNG's only real story-arc. It is also a dark episode, lighting wise, so perhaps they want to show off what they can do with the the transfers?

When they release the actual Blu-Ray disks (and possibly re-syndicate them) I imagine that they'll release them season by season (unlike TOS), mainly because of the first two seasons are really different than the rest.

Comment

This won't be HD quality will it? I had heard that they couldn't make TNG HD because of the video tape they shot it on.
              sigpic
              Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
                This won't be HD quality will it? I had heard that they couldn't make TNG HD because of the video tape they shot it on.
                The whole point of doing a BD transfer is to make it HD. Think along the lines of the TOS BD releases.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Does anybody know if they have plans to show it on TV like they did with TOS?

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                    Does anybody know if they have plans to show it on TV like they did with TOS?
                    It's possible but I doubt there are any plans for it. While the main appeal for television would be the HDTV channel market, if the changes are significant enough (like TOS getting a completely CG ship and all the effects improved) then that appeal could be broader and have television networks may have a bigger interested in airing the samples but the main interest in cheap special effect changes with expensive blu-ray releases.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X