Deep Space Nine: A Rewatch thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paradise
    I don't know why they call this episode Paradise because thier was nothing paradise about watching this episode. The plot is predictible in that we know the "technobabble of the week" is the cause of Sisko and O'Brien being stranded on the planet. Its quite obvious from Act 1 that Alixus is behind all of this. They way she is so confrontational towards Sisko into abandon his lifestyle for hers clearly points that is responsoible for this primitive society. And for the message I just don't find myself caring for their lifestyle. The choosing of low technology does little to interest me and I find unbeliveable that all these people would stay on the planet.

As pointless as the part of Kira and Dax recovering the Runabout is I actually like this part more as I feel something important is happening
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Shadowplay

Yay for final Dominion reference

The A plot in a lot ways reminds of the previous watched Whispers. Its a mystery. While not as twisted as Whispers its rather unpredictible. I for one never considered that the Gamma Quadrant race were all holograms. However their are some obvious clues. Its quite clear Rurigan is hiding something but the fact that he is not a hologram like the rest never came to mine. Overall its a enjoyable part of episode but I think the most important part are those little stories from Taya about the Changelings. Its shows a little bit about who they are as Odo continues to explore his people

I'm not an anti Kira/Barelli shipper but nor am I supporter. They had their interesting moments they showed they cared but it never interested me. The part about Quark using that relationship to further his motives to earn money never really appealed to me. I never really saw the point of that B plot in the story. It comes across as unesscarry filler.

I almost think the above plot should have used for more of the plot of Jake not wanting to enter Starfleet. Its a crucial moment for the character who is so underdevolped in the early years. It shows us that Jake is his own person and his path is not going to be the same as others and he wants his own life. Also it shows more of the kind of relationship Sisko and Jake have as father and son. In that they both care that the other happy as Jake was hesitant because he didn't want to let father done and all Sisko cares is his son to be happy. Although I will admitt I really liked the scene where Sisko gave Jake his commbadge.

If you pay attention real close you'll notice that one of the guest stars went on to play Naomi Wildman on Voyager

Playing God.

The plot of a universe expanding and threating to destroy the station is very TNG/VOY like in that its highly technobabble in creation and solution. The resulting of its development is quite hard to grasp. However despite this fault its good vehicle to show the conflict between Arjin and Jadzia. As these clash we learn more about Trill society and specfically more about who Jadzia is. The show in the beginning focuses on the Dax symbiote so much we forget they are two seperate people so its refreshing to learn who Jadzia is. And anyone who has been in a classroom can really relate Arjin.

The Cardassian voles has an important issue to main plot but I find their inclusion in the story quite hard to swallow. I find it hard to believe that a vermin native to Cardassia made in onto a space station. Domesticated animals that are brought over by crew members is one thing but its hard to believe something equavilent to a rat made it on board.

Its a very small part of the episode but the senior staff debating the morality of killing the protouniverse speaks to me. I like seeing both sides debating what right and what wrong and what qualifies as life. It points to me DS9's greatest strength as a show. The way the morality of our actions is constantly questioned
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Profit and Lose
        This is a love-hate episode. It has a lot of things wrong with it but at their are some gems in it. Surprise surprise I didn't like the Quark bits. its not like I am disgusted with Quark like I am so often am. I really just do not find the character interesting so it hard fo to me to care for the affection Quark has for Natima Lang, Furthermore I find it so out of character for Quark. Quark fells so strongly for Ferengi rules which more or less says that women are lower then dirt. So I find it difficult to grasp he would sacrifice so much to be with her.

Thats the uninteresting and since that a big chunk of the plot it may seem I hate the episode. But their are rare gems. It shows us a few things about the Cardassian society. It for one shows that not Cardassians are vile scum of Earth and it kind of foreshadows what would happen it the military ever last powerful which as we all know does eventually happen. Also it very subtlely points a little bit about Garek. It shows why Garek is on DS9 in that he was exilled a crime we yet do not know of and tells us how much Garek misses his own people. Maybe he and Odo have a lot in common
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Blood Oath

Fans of TOS probably like this episode as it bring back 3 iconic characters from the 1960s. And while its fun for us to learn more about the Dax symbiote and what kind of person Curzon Dax was. A high point is Dax conversing with Kira on how having to kill people in cold blood. I think Nana Vistor really sold scene

The flow of this episode is hard to swallow. For one I can't really believe that Kang, Koloth, and Kor all met on DS9 to run into Dax by accident. Also despite their cunning strategty I find it hard to grasp that 4 people would be able overtake his guards and kill the Albino.

Finally the whole part about Jadzia having to convince the Klingions to let her join is quite drawn to point of boredem. I get it she is a Trill who doesn't have to repay Curzon's debt now can you make up your mind already. On paper the notion of Dax joining 3 Klingions for revenge sounds like a good episode. The execution of certain scenes and plot was just poor
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Blood Oath is pretty important in the development of Dax though. After all it establishes her as a Klingonphile, and makes sense why she would get into Worf when he arrived on the station.

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
              Blood Oath is pretty important in the development of Dax though. After all it establishes her as a Klingonphile, and makes sense why she would get into Worf when he arrived on the station.
              Not really. More then a few episodes show Curzon (and eventually Jadzia)'s link to the Klingions
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Note:The 2 part Maquis episode will be in one review since the plot and character moments are quite singular

The Maquis

As a plot arc the Maquis has to be one of the more complex one out there. It has origins in TNG where it defiantly being a DS9 story and setting a foundation for Voyager. Its quite interesting. When the treaty between the Federation and Caradassia (TNG Journey's End) you just knew there was going to be some conflict. But a terrorist group against the Cardassian seems extreme. Its plausiable given prior knowledge of what we know about Cardassia (Bajoran Occupation) that a terrorist group would resist them to this extreme.

What makes this episode is unpredictibilty of the Maqus. Just when you have them figured out what their actions our the writer of this episode throws you a curve ball what the terroist groups motives are. Like for example I never saw the kidnapping of Gul Dukat. Seems unrelated to their bombing of the Cardassian weapon depot. Speaking of Dukat this episode reinforces why he is a great adveassary. Just when you have him figured out he changes. He is such a meance in the earlier episodes but this episode paints Dukat in a kind light in that unlike other Cardassians he just wants to stop the violence on both. Or that is how he wants to believe.

A highlight is that debate between Sisko and Kira about the morality of the Maquis. Its why I love these characters so much. They have massive disagreements about what is right but in the end they do what needs to be done.

A downside episode is Cal Hudson. He was so predictible from the start that he was some what allied with the Maquis. It was obvious the way he kept on voicing his outrage against the Cardassians and hatred towards them. Also Sisko keep on trying to get him to return Star Fleet get repitive. All in all the Maquis two parter is one of best S2 has to offer.

The Wire

I hate this episode. I don't care about Garek and his problems and his backstory of why he is who is. Did I had anyone convinced? Well I'll have to try better next time.

In its simplest form this episode is us learning about Garek and his backstory before being exilled to Deep Space Nine. But its so much more then that. True to Garek's ambigous nature this episode is true to Garek in that we learn so much about Garek in this episode but quite a bit of this informatiion is met with contradictions in that some can't be true (despite what Garek says at the end). And that is the true glory of this episode in that we have more questions of what is what in this episode. Sure we know some more in Garek was a member of the Obscidian Order and betrayed someone to get exiled but thoose are so vague and those answers just pose more questions of why and how this happen.

Also worth mentioning is Andrew Roninson brillant acting as showing himself as a drug addict as he is tried to leave got off the implant. Its an excellent piece of acting.
                Jelgate is right

Comment

"The Maquis" was the only episode of DS9 where Jeri Taylor has a writing credit. I know it was supposed to be a kind of set up for Voyager, but in reality it seems as if DS9 truly explored the potential of the Maquis much better than Voyager ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                    "The Maquis" was the only episode of DS9 where Jeri Taylor has a writing credit. I know it was supposed to be a kind of set up for Voyager, but in reality it seems as if DS9 truly explored the potential of the Maquis much better than Voyager ever did.
                    True. Ronald D. Moore said the Maquis was always meant for Voyager but after the 1st season the Maquis was rarelly mentioned or used. For better or worse the two crews had intergratted. But in DS9 the Maquis had more of a threat for Sisko until they were wiped out by the Jem'Hadar
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Crossover

Nana Visitor as the Intendent. Nothing more needs to be said. This episode is awesome.

Seriously its your standard mirror episode. And the thing about mirror episodes is that it helps not to think. Mirror episodes makes very little sense if you think like how plasma and the wormhole cause to go to an alternate reality. Thier are just a lot logical fallacies in mirror episodes like Crossover.

However if you turn off your brain (or act like Linda) its a fun adventure to see how certain characters are different and yet same at the same time Look at mirror Sisko. He is ship captain he finds joy in tormenting other but the end both kind of Sisko's have that drive to help others. So in that regard its just a mindless adventure to see Kira and Bashir return home. Its not meant to be taken seriously. Although even I can't overlook the ease the solution to return to out universe was.

But overall I like it even if its not the most thought provoking
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

The Collaborator

This is one of those episodes that explores the politics and the goverment of Bajor. While exploring who the one responsible for the Kendra Valley Masscare we learn about how the Bajoran society is organized and structured through Kira's eyes. But the real shock of the episode is Kira slowly seeing the facts unfold to paint that he is the one responsible for the brutal slaughtering. It quite a shock for the audience and Kira as we learn this. It seems so contradictoray that Barelli would ever hide the guilt.

So it no shocker that Bareill was hiding from someone else. But what is a shocker is that Kai Opaka was the one responsible for such a massacre. Its seems so different from the kind of person that she. Although I can see why it was done. 40 lives vs 100s lives the former is the lesser of two evils. Its one of those ethical dilemas and if I was in her position I probably would have done the same. So it speaks to Bareill that he would sacrifice so much to protect her good name and what she meant to Bajor. I think this is the episode where I liked Bareill.

I hear in real life Louis Fletcher is a kind person but in this episode her portrayal reminds of Middle Ages Catholic leader. They have this serenity and kindness on outside but then when she gets in private she is cruel. That is why she was always an interesting villian. You never quite knew where Winn stood.

Tribunal

I remember when I first saw this episode years ago when I first saw this episode I thought it was terrible. I guess its one of those episodes that you appreciate more with age and wisdom. I'll be getting walker after the review.

The crime of O'Brien sneaking aboard photon torpodes to the Maquis and the subsquent investagation is critical to the episode's conclusion but its not the focus. If censors allowed me I would freely say how screwed up the Cardassian justice system. And thats the point in showing us not just how much they system in the Federation but also showing us how screwed up it sounds. It violates that even know how many civil liberties that are entitled to us in live in democratic societies. The point is to show us the system and violates everything justice. But considering how Cardassia oppresses their citizens its not surprising. I bet the Soviet Union's justice system didn't make rational sense either.

To rephrase the key behind this episode is the reaction to how insane this system is to everyone who isn't Cardassian. You only have to look at Odo and O'Brien's reactions
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

The Jem'Hadar

This is a payoff episode, pure and simple. For so long we are hearing build up of the Dominion and how forceful they are and in this episode we finally see it. The episode by capturing Sisko and Quark is to showcase the might of the Dominion and at the same time hide its might. You'll notice at this point we have no idea who the Founders they are. But if the Dominion can easily take out a Galaxy class starship it really shows how powerful they are.

In essence its an action episode which I guess is expected with season finales. The difference is that the episode isn't mindless action. Thier is emotion behind these endevours. You might only see the Odyessey for that episode but its destruction has an impact because of the personal relation to Dax and Sisko.

Thehe Jem'Hadar as a people are creepy. They seem like the ultimate foo soldier from their fighting tatics to their invasion of DS9. Its not a surprise given their bruteness why the Gamma Quadrant fears them and Dominion so much. They create a daunting species.

On the negative side I don't care for Quark's interpertaion of humans. it seems tacked on and unesscarry for the flow of this episode. It really has nothing to do with the plot. Besides I don't exactly buy his analogy. And the Vorta Eris is quite predictable. It seemed quite obvious from the start that something was off about her
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

I kind of understand Quark's feelings though. From his perspective the Hewmons were coming onto the station and rubbing his flaws in his face, whereas humanity has done all kinds of evil things that the Ferengi never did. The battle sequence with the runabouts and the Odyssey seemed a bit rushed.

Luckily the Jem'Hadar never really fell off of their high like many other Trek villains did. They remained a plausible threat to the Federation throughout their run on the show.

Comment

Tribunal is the second 'O'Brien Must Suffer' episode. The Cardassian way of justice which sees O'Brien guilty before the trial has even started, is so Cardassian.. While there's no doubt O'Brien is innocent, this episode works because of Colm Meaney's amazing performance as we see O'Brien try his best to survive. Avery Brooks' direction is also stellar as is the "Orwellian" Cardassia Prime which we see for the first time. This would easily earn 5 stars if it wasn't for the botched ending. But at least the rest of the episode for the most part is an outstanding piece of DS9.

For the record and since I'm new to brother jelgates thread, and I wanted to say hello and that DS9 is second to none when it comes to scifi shows. A truly superior show!.

Comment

This episode depicting the Cardassian legal system has shades of Orwell and 1984 all over it. The themes running through Tribunal are less than subtle, but effective nonetheless. They show a man's futile plight in a society that has already sealed his fate. The Cardassians tell O'Brien that his guilt has already been determined, the trial is merely a display for the public's benefit. The notion that the trial system has been designed strictly to give the public the feeling that "justice is being served" - even in the face of blatantly false accusations, is a chilling prospect.

O'Brien's frustration is completely understandable, as is Odo's, who takes advantage of his membership to the Cardassian court by getting himself appointed as O'Brien's legal advisor. The dark lighting and decidedly Orwellian images (the high architecture of the trial room and large public viewscreens) supply the episode with large and intense visual splendor.

I decided to re-post some of mini-reviews from the DS9 superior thread where we are also follwoing brother jelgates awesome entire DS9 series re-watch episode reviews.
                                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                                Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                                X