Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transporter accidents: Thomas Riker, and all that stuff

I have a problem.

Thomas Riker is the product of a transporter accident yet no one ordered his destruction....

Yet I feel serious pains when I watch the Voyager episode Tuvix.

Sure Tuvix is the result of you guessed it a transporter accident, but he too was sentient and self aware, all the thingss the Federation hold dear.

Yet when he protests the decision to seperate Neelix and Tuvok and thus "kill" Tuvix even the Doctor protests and Janeway does it anyway.

I just feel so much pain watching this episode.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

this is a good episode, just because of that moral dilemma. For ate the needs of the many more important then the needs of Tuvix?

I really like the episode, just because of that

www.darkarmada.nl
    www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Yeah, me too. If it had been possible to resurrect Tuvok and Neelix while keeping Tuvix, no doubt it would've been done.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
        Yeah, me too. If it had been possible to resurrect Tuvok and Neelix while keeping Tuvix, no doubt it would've been done.

Well everyone that has gone through the transporter has a record of their patterm on file as established in other treks such as TNG and they could have extracted the DNA print they wanted and used both the stored patterns to resurrect each of them... At least that's my theory to get out of the dilema....

Comment

the difference between the riker incident and the tuvix incident is that the riker incident didnt result in him being killed, transformed etc

tuvok and neelix were basically changed into tuvix, and while its sad to lose tuvix the captain was only trying to save 2 of her crew

Comment

Originally posted by jimbeamjunior View Post
            the difference between the riker incident and the tuvix incident is that the riker incident didnt result in him being killed, transformed etc

tuvok and neelix were basically changed into tuvix, and while its sad to lose tuvix the captain was only trying to save 2 of her crew
            Agreed! They deserved the chance to live again as two separate people.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
              and a plant
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Wolf View Post
                and a plant

Speaking of plants anyone remember the TV series Quark and Ficus who was part plant?

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Wolf View Post
                  and a plant
                  but to quote ( I think shatner) " The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the 1."

thomas riker didnt cause will riker to be killed, but tuvix cause 2 members of the crew to essentially cease to exist, meaning it made sense to axe him.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                    but to quote ( I think shatner) " The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the 1."

thomas riker didnt cause will riker to be killed, but tuvix cause 2 members of the crew to essentially cease to exist, meaning it made sense to axe him.
                    Actually spock said that quote..........Kirk said: The needs of the 1 outweigh the needs of the many.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                      But they were happy the way they were! He wanted to be Tuvix, he didn't want to go back to how things were. Tuvix was more than capable of handling everything both of them did, they had found a place for him. There was no reason, from a perspective of crew safety, that they needed to be separated.

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post

So it's ok to kill one person to save 2? What if killing 2 people saved 3 others? How about 1 billion to save 2 billion. Where does it stop being something that's sensible and start to be morally wrong? What gives her the right to decide who's life is of more value?

The worse thing is that in a show that liked to cop out with a 3rd option, one wasn't even discussed. I would have liked the episode less if they had a third option, of course, but something in the dialogue stating a 3rd option to never, ever, ever have any possibility would have made me swallow it better and not just think Janeway got some sort of pleasure out of it.
                      "Enemies of the Ori show no mercy in their attempts to draw believers away from the path."
                      "Those who abandon the path are evil."
                      "Hallowed are the Ori!"

"Individuals who point the finger and assign blame based on nothing more than their gut instinct are ignorant at best, cretins at worst." -- Joseph Mallozzi

Comment

Originally posted by The Mastage Kidd View Post
                        But they were happy the way they were! He wanted to be Tuvix, he didn't want to go back to how things were. Tuvix was more than capable of handling everything both of them did, they had found a place for him. There was no reason, from a perspective of crew safety, that they needed to be separated.

So it's ok to kill one person to save 2? What if killing 2 people saved 3 others? How about 1 billion to save 2 billion. Where does it stop being something that's sensible and start to be morally wrong? What gives her the right to decide who's life is of more value?

The worse thing is that in a show that liked to cop out with a 3rd option, one wasn't even discussed. I would have liked the episode less if they had a third option, of course, but something in the dialogue stating a 3rd option to never, ever, ever have any possibility would have made me swallow it better and not just think Janeway got some sort of pleasure out of it.

In hindsight I think there is a valid 3rd option...They could have used the computer's stored pattern of both crewmembers to resurrect them after first storing a pattern of Tuvix... They've done similar things on TNG so it could not be that hard, and the Doc could synthesise any genetic material if it was needed as s basse substrate or such.

Comment

Working...
                        X