Star Trek Beyond : News/Speculation/Spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheRandomOne View Post
    but if this is just to jump on the bandwagon of whats been going on recently in society, then as a Star Trek fan I do not approve

You mean the way people are becoming more accepting of those who aren't exactly the same as themselves?

What place could exploring other cultures and different ways of life possibly have in something like Star Trek?

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post

You mean the way people are becoming more accepting of those who aren't exactly the same as themselves?

What place could exploring other cultures and different ways of life possibly have in something like Star Trek?
      Plenty of crap on TV for it just watch any Shonda Rhimes show as well

Comment

*googles*

But I don't want to watch Grey's Anatomy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
          *googles*

But I don't want to watch Grey's Anatomy.
          A few years ago, I would have said "your loss".
          But I think I'm done with this show.
          I think they should have ended it when the original players finished their training and became full fledged doctors. That was the ending point for their story.
          But the show continues to draw fantastic ratings. So, since then, it feels like they've been milking the cow after it's dry with a new crop of interns; repeating the cycle, along with a lot of over the top, highly improbable dramas for the original doctors.

Comment

I loved it & the way they did the Sulu thing was nice & simple enjoyed the movie

Comment

Originally posted by TheRandomOne View Post
              I loved it & the way they did the Sulu thing was nice & simple enjoyed the movie
              Good to know! I hope that I get to see it this Friday or Saturday. I wanted to go last weekend, but I was hosting a party for my friend's 42nd b-day
              sigpic

Comment

Just got back from seeing it and I have to say I was very happy with what I saw. I especially loved all the little continuity nods from Enterprise (though that show was a mixed bag, it started getting good during the Xindi and Romulan story arcs).

As far as them making Sulu gay goes, I think it was handled really well as it wasn't made a big deal of. It was just a happy scene of a man reuniting with his family after a long stint in deep space, kinda like the reunions we see when service men and women come home from long deployments.

Comment

Originally posted by Traianus Augustus View Post
                  Just got back from seeing it and I have to say I was very happy with what I saw. I especially loved all the little continuity nods from Enterprise (though that show was a mixed bag, it started getting good during the Xindi and Romulan story arcs).

As far as them making Sulu gay goes, I think it was handled really well as it wasn't made a big deal of. It was just a happy scene of a man reuniting with his family after a long stint in deep space, kinda like the reunions we see when service men and women come home from long deployments.
                  Good to hear!
                  sigpic

Comment

Saw it last weekend finally. Liked it more than Into Darkness. It was quite a fun ride.
                    I loved that all the characters had much more face time, especially Bones.

I also loved that once again, Sabotage worked its way into the film, and in an epic way.

Comment

Sulu's relationship Movie Spoilers
                      Spoiler:
                      is nothing more than 2-3 scenes. A photo of his daugher on the console, meeting and greeting his husband and daughter when the ship docks, his husband and daughter running from the bad guys...no angst, no OTT, just there.

Honestly, Spock/Uhura is more of a plot device.

It's a good movie. It felt like a two part episode and there were plenty of nods to the past, some more obvious than others. There was a lovely tribute to Ambassador Spock and the original crew/timeline. I think my biggest angst was that Anton/Chekov had a decently large role and that character is now either gone or recast. (Although I do have an idea how they can fill it with someone else)

It was a fun ride. At least in my theater the oddest thing is that the credits came after the movie, so you jump right into the story.

Was it stellar and unforgettable? No. But it was enjoyable.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        It's a good movie. It felt like a two part episode and there were plenty of nods to the past, some more obvious than others. There was a lovely tribute to Ambassador Spock and the original crew/timeline. I think my biggest angst was that Anton/Chekov had a decently large role and that character is now either gone or recast. (Although I do have an idea how they can fill it with someone else)
                        They have already said they won't be recasting. At a guess, in the next movie, they'll probably say he was transferred to the Reliant or something like that.

Comment

Better to not recast, personally. I'd like them to add another character, someone new to really differentiate this timeline from the original.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I cant be the only one a bit confused about that starbase, why would you construct it basically on the edge of unknown space

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              Better to not recast, personally. I'd like them to add another character, someone new to really differentiate this timeline from the original.
                              Same here. Heck, how's about put an alien finally on the crew..

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
                                I cant be the only one a bit confused about that starbase, why would you construct it basically on the edge of unknown space
                                Presumably, to establish a base of operations from which to explore the new frontier.

It's like the exploration of North America (yes I know, Native Americans were already here, bear with me). Colonies are established on the coast--New York, Boston, etc--and begin to grow. Explorers and military groups strike out inland, and establish frontier forts. From there they can stock up on supplies and press deeper into the frontier without having to go all the way back to New York. Those forts in time grow into cities in themselves, and the explorers head further into the frontier, building more forts. And on and on it goes.

Same thing in Star Trek. You start on Earth/Vulcan/Andor/etc., strike out into the unknown. Build a Starbase on the frontier so you can explore further, population there gradually expands, then you build another Starbase further out. And on and on they go.
                                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                                X