Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Star Trek Ep/Movie Did you Watch Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.18 "Distant Voices" -- Oh, man. I very seriously considered getting some HARD drinks to get me through this episode.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Alcohol is NEVER the answer! It's the question.

DS9 - 'Call to Arms'. Ah. That sweet Dominion battle music and the largest Federation fleet ever seen [til then]!.
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

You've forgotten the most important part of that little nugget of wisdom: "alcohol is the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems"
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I find even the joys of alchool can't make Distant Voices good. Pointless filler.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            You've forgotten the most important part of that little nugget of wisdom: "alcohol is the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems"
            I like mine better:
            Alcohol is NEVER the answer! It's the question. YES is the answer!
            Alcohol? YES!

Have to watch the 2nd half of 'Call to Arms' later. Life intervenes...
            sigpic
            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

DS9 3.19 "Through the Looking Glass" -- That's a little more like it....a fun Mirror Universe episode! More on Intendant Kira, Smiley, and Garak in a Cardassian uniform for a change. Oh, and Sisko (OUR Sisko) not only gets a roll in the hay with Dax but also plants a big wet one on Intendant Kira

I do like that they were giving the Mirror Universe a bit of development.... The rebellion against the Alliance has gone on and taken refuge in the Badlands, Garak's still firmly under the Intendant's foot, and Intendant Kira is still doing her....thing

DS9 3.20 "Improbable Cause" -- Love this. Such an amazing mystery episode, in a way that had never been pulled off in Trek before. Odo exploding at Garak "you blew up your own shop!" is one of the really huge points in the episode--at least, until it builds some more

I really love how this one is so shrouded in secrecy, that every new revelation is even bigger than the last; that everything leads and builds up to the answer to the question of the Orias system raised earlier in the year--and then the rather shocking To Be Continued

DS9 3.21 "The Die is Cast" -- This episode is deliciously disturbing on oh so many levels; Garak torturing Odo, the Obsidian Order & Tal Shiar planning pre-emptive genocide, and the entire plan having been orchestrated by the Founders to destroy them both. Great stuff.

I actually caught something this time around that I'd never noticed before....when on the warbird bridge when the Jem'Hadar fleet shows up, Garak remarks that "the fault is not in our stars but in ourselves." This, of course, being a reference to the play Julius Caesar which he and Bashir had been discussing at the beginning of part 1--and signifying Garak's realization of the fault and folly of the entire plan. God I love the DS9 writers!

The Federation-Dominion Cold War is really, really heating up. Good bloody episode.
              Last edited by DigiFluid; 29 October 2009, 10:29 PM.

Comment

DS9 3.22 "Explorers" -- This episode starts quite charmingly....Leeta's first appearance (drool) and I have to laugh every time I see that PADD with "Go Away" on it that Bashir hands to Dax It's also the beginning of the migratory period....when Sisko's hair starts moving from his head to his face (still has hair, first appearance of the goatee)

I also really love how creative and adventurous this episode feels, what with Sisko taking on building the ship itself himself (despite O'Brien's cushy Starfleet upbringing whining). And at its heart, it's really just such a great father/son story

DS9 3.23 "Family Business" -- Ferengi-centric stories tend to be bad....very bad. I think this is probably one of the most notable exceptions.

DS9 3.24 "Shakaar" -- Ah, finally we get to see the oft-named but never seen Shakaar. I guess this is probably one of the last seriously Bajor-centric episodes in the series before things get entangled in grander galactic affairs. It's a good ride, though I'm kind of wondering why the ex-resistance members have Klingon weapons stored away. You'd think it would be Cardassian weapons.
                Last edited by DigiFluid; 31 October 2009, 11:22 PM.

Comment

DS9 3.25 "Facets" -- Ehh. This one's always been a little too spacey metaphysical nonsense for me. I know, it gives the actors a nice chance to stretch their legs, but it just doesn't do it for me (no matter how amazingly creepy Avery Brooks is as Joran).

The idea of dumping consciousnesses from the Dax symbiote into other bodies of varying species just strikes me as kind of ridiculous. Not to mention certain strange leaps of logic, like even bothering to dump Joran into someone else's body. It never presented a problem on previous hosts post-Joran and pre-Jadzia, so why did they even bother with it this time?

Comment

DS9 3.26 "The Adversary" -- Gah, now that is a bloody chilling season finale. I love the way DS9 did things with finales, not doing real cliffhangers, but doing big things which demand resolution/continuation in the next episode anyway.

Poor Odo =/

DS9 4.01-02 "The Way of the Warrior" -- Heckuva way to start a new season! Sisko finally shaves his head, the station is undergoing Dominion infiltrator drills, the Cardassian dissident movement has won out over Central Command in the aftermath of the fall of the Obsidian Order, Dominion scheming has created war in the AQ, and DS9 finally gets to kick some major ass! And Worf joins up.

It's almost a total relaunch of the show, you could join up at this point in the series and still follow it quite well--even though it's obviously still totally faithful to the three seasons that preceded it. Good solid stuff.
                    Last edited by DigiFluid; 03 November 2009, 05:46 PM.

Comment

TOS: Spock's Brain & The Enterprise Incident. The first is possibly the direst TOS episode of them all and the second was utterly brilliant.
                      sigpic

Comment

Funny enough... I watched WotW last night, too, Digi! Worf's post-Ent D loneliness, uncertainty and internal struggle were wonderfully done, and well paralleled with Sisko's own struggles. The action was BRILL! Dax instantly having the hots for Worf... BRILL! Dax and Kira having girls nights (in bikinis) on the holodeck... BRILL! Garak and Quark using root beer ("It's VILE!") as a metaphor for the Federation... BRILL! The whole episode... BRILLIANT!
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                          Garak and Quark using root beer ("It's VILE!") as a metaphor for the Federation...
                          That's one of my favourite exchanges in all of Star Trek. It just speaks so many volumes about the realities of the Star Trek universe in a way that could never be properly expressed in TOS/TAS or TNG.

I also forgot to post here, this morning:

DS9 4.03 "The Visitor" -- One of the best in the series, it's that simple. I don't even feel the need to go into the why, as I'd basically just be restating the plot of the entire episode

Comment

Skipped right over that treasure and went to 'Home Front'.
                            I much prefer the Sisko family interaction in this than in... that. The admiral's aide... Where do I know her from?! Odo never fails to amuse me. Poor Dax; I can't remember if she uses the transporter next time to move his furniture so as not to break her promise, but she should. It's amazing and disturbing how this foreshadowed the post-9/11 world. While the elder Sisko's reluctance to do anything sensible humans [read: me] considers correct [doctors, blood screenings], he does bring up a point I'd had since WotW: changeling kills the victim, extracts their blood and keeps it fresh, imitates them and gives blood when necessary.
                            And why is the Lakota seemingly the only ship in orbit? It's EARTH, the Trek holy grail. Sigh. Humans deserve to have Earth blown up if there aren't at least 30 ships in orbit and a hundred in system at all times.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                              The admiral's aide... Where do I know her from?!
                              If I remember right, that's Susan Gibney, the same actress who was Dr Leah Brahms in TNG

Regarding "The Visitor"....well, I don't usually think it's possible to have a wrong opinion. Not usually anyway

Comment

Can we, at least, agree that this is pure brilliance?

"It's vile."
                                "I know. It's so bubbly and cloying and happy."
                                "Just like the Federation."
                                "But you know what's really frightening? If you drink enough of it, you start to like it."
                                "It's insidious."
                                "Just like the Federation."
                                "Do you think they'll be able to save us?"
                                "I hope so."

It's wonderful how the whole conversation shifts from disliking the Federation to relying on them for salvation. Normally, I'd hate that but it works SO well here with Quark and Garak.
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X