Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Star Trek Ep/Movie Did you Watch Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    DS9 1.03 'Past Prologue' -- This episode had a whole bunch of neat things going for it.... The reappearance of the Duras sisters for the first time since the Klingon civil war, our first encounter with Garak, and adding another layer of depth to the complexity of Bajoran culture; and yet the whole thing fell flat. Just not that interesting.

DS9 1.04 'A Man Alone' -- Another episode which largely fell flat. We get a good reintroduction to Nog, and a first introduction to Rom, which are both nice. Unfortunately both of those are rendered moot by reappearance of The Mighty Shrew Keiko O'Brien. The two really redeemable things about this episode IMO were the us vs. them mentality shown (Kira & Odo / Starfleet), and a hilarious blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot of a computer screen showing someone's schedule:
    Spoiler:

After 'Chain of Command' / 'Emissary' I lagged behind severely.....I finally went and picked up Batman Arkham Asylum. Terrific game
    Batman, video games, and Star trek? All in one day?

Digi, Did I ever tell you that you're my hero?

Comment

Batman > all

Kirk and Sisko are the real badass heroes of the Trek universe....but Batman could kick the snot out of both of them, at the same time, with one hand tied behind his back
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Batman > all

Kirk and Sisko are the real badass heroes of the Trek universe....but Batman could kick the snot out of both of them, at the same time, with one hand tied behind his back
        Pfft. it's all about superman dude.

You obviously need someone to teach you these things, so i'll be more then happy to take the challenge on myself.

As difficult as it might be.

Comment

I have no quarrel with Superman, he's a pretty good superhero too. But Batman is where it's at.

Given enough time for preparation, Batman could beat up and scare the hell out of god himself

Now I'll be off to watch one more Trek, a couple of Batman animated eps, and I'm calling it a day lol

edit:
          DS9 1.05 'Babel' -- While every part of this episode's story is tired and cliched, it's really saved in this case by the charm of the cast. Most particularly, Quark reveling in being the only unaffected person still in Ops
          Last edited by DigiFluid; 07 September 2009, 12:17 AM.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

TNG 6.12 'Ship in a Bottle' -- Holy, I'd totally forgotten about this episode! I had no idea it was from this late in the series. Such a creative take on the holodeck stories Even having seen this before, Moriarty first walking out of the holodeck is still an holy cow! moment. Likewise Data and Picard's solution was equally ingenious

DS9 1.06 'Captive Pursuit' -- For some reason, this is one of my favourite season 1 episodes. I really enjoyed seeing a species from the Gamma Quadrant for the first time, despite his awkwardness. Knowing what we know about later in the series, it's kind of interesting to ponder about the race that makes Tosk. We know that he's genetically engineered and bred, has a natural/designed aptitude for defense/combat/survival, and he has a built in cloak; all things that we later learn are also true of the Jem'Hadar. The hunter race also has a really neat and creative transporter beam effect and weapons (which, incidentally, has 'phaser' blasts resembling the Jem'Hadar rifles).

I think though, what I really enjoy about this episode is that it finally starts giving some depth to the Gamma Quadrant exploration which has been largely ignored since the series pilot.

TNG 6.13 'Aquiel' -- It wasn't till rewatching this that I realized just how creepy Geordi really is. The man can only get female attention from a hologram (and somehow chastises the real life version of that person when they confront him), when he's under alien influence, or when he's done the Star Trek equivalent of reading her diary before meeting her. Sheesh.

DS9 1.07 'Q-Less' -- Eh, this just reeks to trying to pull in TNG viewers with notable Next Gen guests. Jennifer Hetrick as Vash, for some reason, looks pale and sickly and brings very little to the table--a rather poor exit from the franchise for her character. John de Lancie is always fantastic because it's him, but he's just got no chemistry with anyone on DS9. NEXT.
            Last edited by DigiFluid; 07 September 2009, 03:40 PM.

Comment

TNG 6.14 'Face of the Enemy' -- Worf's hair suddenly gets long from one episode to the next! This is (I believe) the first mention of the Tal Shiar as the ruthless Romulan intelligence agency, and I remembered something I wrote a ways back when watching TOS:

Stardate 3842.3: Journey to Babel

Something I found a bit odd/interesting, the Vulcan method of physical attack that could have murdered the Tellarite is called Tal Shia....and later in the Trekverse the Romulan intelligence agency is the Tal Shiar....
              After that I went and had a look at Memory Alpha, which described this Tal Shaya martial arts as: "a deadly Vulcan martial arts technique that was considered a merciful form of execution in ancient times on Vulcan." There's a wonderful, subtle continuity in that isn't there?

I do rather like this episode, it was something different and unexpected. The only thing I find a little puzzling is why nobody on the Enterprise mentioned that Troi was missing. Oh and....if Troi had Romulan hair aboard the warbird--how does she suddenly have her own long locks back at the end of the episode? Perhaps by the same means that Worf's is suddenly longer....

Comment

This evening I watched both "Time's Arrow" episodes of TNG.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Coming up tonight: Data's Fist!
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                    This evening I watched both "Time's Arrow" episodes of TNG.
                    Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                    Coming up tonight: Data's Fist!
                    Fistful of Datas?

Mmmm just watched them the other day, terrific episodes!

edit; also:
                    DS9 1.08 'Dax' -- Bleh. This felt like a bad combination of 'Measure of a Man' and 'Sins of the Father'. I can appreciate that this laid the groundwork for the Trill society's later development and growth in the series, but entertainment-wise....well, much like a lot of DS9 S1 it's just not that great.
                    Last edited by DigiFluid; 07 September 2009, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Inside Man (VOY) - One of my favourite episodes
                      I would love to watch more but now i'm back at school I'm having less and less time just lately

Comment

Today I watched:
                        - Critical Care
                        - The Crossing
                        - Inside Man
                        - The Adversary

All on Virgin1, a weeks holiday from work!

sigpic

Comment

TOS: The Squire of Gothos. Yuck! My least favorite TOS ep so far.
                          sigpic

Comment

TNG 6.15 'Tapestry' -- Wonderful, terrific, excellent episode of TNG. Definitely one of the highlights of season 6.

DS9 1.09 'The Passenger' -- Yet another early DS9 whodunit episode. Ho hum.

TNG 6.16 'Birthright, Part 1' -- Opens very nicely, a great TNG/DS9 crossover--again with Worf devouring food that Geordi found disgusting. I like how well this integrates TNG and DS9, makes it really feel like DS9 is a Federation outpost at which ships do regularly stop. Still, I think it's just more evidence of how bogged down the Enterprise has become by diplomatic/ambassadorial, defense, and in this case aid missions. It's kind of sad to see the Enterprise's exploration mission diverted like this.

That said though, it's an interesting pair of episodes. One of the first things I noticed (for the first time, oddly enough) was how incredibly unprofessional the coloured-shoulder Starfleet uniforms look compared to the standard duty uniforms of TNG. There's just something about the DS9 uniforms (at this point)....that really makes them look like they're the pyjamas that others have accused the TNG uniforms of looking like. There's also still no explanation or justification given as to why a frontier outpost would be fully stocked with new Starfleet uniforms, while the flagship of the Federation is not. But I digress....

These make a great little addition on to the Worf story development. Besides being kind of fun to see Worf carrying on aboard DS9 two and a half years before he's reassigned there, the idea of Worf possibly finding his father alive in a Romulan prison camp adds an interesting new dimension to Worf's story. Even though it turns out that Worf's father really is dead, it sets up an interesting story in its own right.

The B-Plot of Data's dreams/hallucinations/visions starts off a little puzzling, but gets more interesting as it goes along. The Data/Worf conversation in Ten Forward regarding visions is a nice character moment between the two that we rarely get to see, and does fit very nicely into the Worf A-plot. The subsequent investigation of it, through conversation with Picard, through painting (very nice tie-in to established Data habits), is all neat. The full-length dream sequence seen nearer the end of the first episode is especially interesting IMO.

TNG 6.17 'Birthright, Part 2' -- After a bit of obvious explanation at the beginning, it sort of turns into a story of pacified and domesticated (if you will) Klingons.... I've heard once or twice before people accusing Worf of blind racism here, and frankly I just don't see how anyone can say that. These people are obviously suffering from a deeply ingrained Stockholm Syndrome.

If there's any real criticism to be made of this episode, I think it's Worf's intrusion into other peoples' childrearing. He immediately starts sowing the seeds of revolt into the younger generation who have known no other life than in this little colony--and probably appealing to their adolescent rebelliousness in the process. I find this a little iffy, but it can be forgiven for the good of the story.

Worf taking the Klingon boy on a hunt was a great little capsule too, to fit into the story. He gives his word to return to the camp--which we as viewers know he'll keep. The boy learns the hunt, feels the rush of the warrior, and brings that spirit back to inspire the others.

When the time comes for Worf's execution at the hands of the Romulan leader, he does exactly what we know he'll do: defiantly stands ready to take it. He's joined by the boy, who speaks on behalf of the other malcontents that Worf's stirred up, and FINALLY the Klingon elder grows a pair and stands beside Worf as well. It only took two episodes.

I did really like the little white lie at the end of the episode, Worf informing Picard that the refugees were survivors of a crashed ship and that no-one had survived Khitomer. It's not normal for Worf to lie to Picard....but in this context it manages to work without breaking the illusion.
                            Last edited by DigiFluid; 08 September 2009, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Fistful of Datas?
                              I've been watching all the 'Spiner acts' episodes of TNG lately. The episode was highly entertaining, though I remember not liking it so much the first time I saw it. Klingons in the Wild West... Could have sworn it would be epic fail.
                              One complaint I had was that Worf asked Troi how she knew so much about the 'Ancient West', even though she spent several weeks there not 5 episodes before in 'Time's Arrow' pt. 2. Her answer was quite plausible, with the Anglo-American slant of Trek.
                              sigpic
                              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Was going to watch DS9's 'Q-less', but I'll put that off til tomorrow. Tonight: TNG 'The Enemy'. Bad Sheriff Worf! Bad!
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X