Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Star Trek Ep/Movie Did you Watch Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS9: Second Skin
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

next generation s2: Contagion! its one of the best next generations episodes i watched yet. I love Data and Geordy (?).
      sigpic

Comment

Stardate 8210.3 - Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

The weakest link of the TOS film trilogy to be sure, but still a pretty enjoyable film. It was nice to see the Klingons return as a villain, and to know that there's a lot of backdoor politicking going on directly affecting our heroes.

The new Saavik was a pretty shocking change from ST2. Not just Robin Curtis--she did a commendable job given that she was a recast. But the character changes were a bit jarring. In ST2, she was a science division (red undershirt) Lieutenant who had recently taken the Kobyashi Maru command test. Presumably, the Enterprise would be the ideal place to continue that command path until her decommissioning. And yet, we see that she's transferred to the Grissom, is working a science station in the command white undershirt, and appears to be wearing lower rank insignia. A little puzzling, that.

Sarek's appearance in this movie was a fantastic touch too. Even though he's a Vulcan, you can tell that he's quite moved by the death of his son. The Kirk/Sarek mind meld is a textbook case of saying everything by saying nothing at all.

The theft of the Enterprise is appropriately grand, as is her end (*cry*)....the whole film has a wonderful humanity to it. The idea that sometimes, for friends/family, you have to give up everything to save or protect them. Very touching; the list of charges against them as a result of doing this would be a mile long. You figure...disobeying direct orders from Starfleet command, 2 counts of assault (brig officers; 3 if you count Uhura's co-worker being forced into the closet), breaking McCoy out of jail, unauthorized use of a transporter, theft of Starfleet property, sabotage of another Starfleet vessel, violation of a quarantined sector, unsanctioned combat with a foreign power, destruction of Starfleet property.... Sometimes you do a lot for friends/family. Sometimes the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many

This movie also has some of my favourite lines in the whole franchise....
        Sulu: "Don't call me tiny"

McCoy: "You're taking me to the promised land?"
        Kirk: "What are friends for?"

Scotty: "Up your shaft." (telling off the Excelsior turbolift)

McCoy: (to the Vulcan priestess) "I choose the danger"
        McCoy: (quietly to Kirk) "Hell of a time to ask"

Alas, farewell, dear Enterprise.

Last edited by DigiFluid; 10 August 2009, 07:38 PM.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

This evening I watched the Enterprise episode "Home".
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Watching "Darmok", great episode.

Comment

Stardate 8390.0 - Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

While this movie is thoroughly entertaining to watch....I can't for the life of me figure out why some nitwit decided on the yogurt heads during time travel. W. T. F.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

This evening I watched TNG episode "Interface".
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  I can't for the life of me figure out why some nitwit decided on the yogurt heads during time travel.
                  You've got me literally laughing out loud. Good one!
                  sigpic
                  ~the guitarists~

Comment

Lonely Among Us

Comment

DS9: Civil Defense
                      People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

Stardate 8454.1 - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Things I liked about this movie:
                        - Nimbus III, the first time we've seen a place in Trek that seemed truly. frakking. miserable.
                        - the new Enterprise being in seriously rough shape and in need of a shakedown
                        - Scotty banging his head on a bulkhead
                        - the campfire scenes are some of the most human moments in the franchise IMO

Things I didn't like about this movie:
                        - everything else

Last edited by DigiFluid; 12 August 2009, 01:25 PM.

Comment

TNG's Schisms, Frame of Mind, Parallels, Genesis
                          sigpic
                          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

"For the Cause"
                            sigpic
                            Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Stardate 9521.6 - Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Tied with WoK, this is easily my favourite of all the Trek movies. Everything about ST6 is just flawless; acting, pacing, scoring, effects, plot, etc. It's hard to believe this movie is 18 years old, it stands up so astonishingly well to the test of time.

I'm also always amazed at how prescient this movie is; both in that it basically told the end of the Cold War in a Trek context (the script was actually done before the USSR collapsed), and how universally applicable the idea of people being afraid of change is.

ST6 is nothing short of a brilliant sendoff for a crew that had been at it for 25 years, both in reality and in-universe. They find themselves caught up in a struggle to save the peace, something they've always fought for. And in the end, they do save the peace as their final mission together. The end credits with each of the primary cast having 'autographed' is also just a wonderful touch. Makes me sad there's no more classic Trek to be had.

All I've got left in the classic Trek era now is the rather anticlimactic Generations intro....but it's part of the mythos, so it's next regardless. I'll probably give New Voyages and Of Gods and Men a shot too out, of curiosity; even though I have a deep loathing of all things fanfic and fanfic-related. I'm just curious, is all

Comment

This evening I watched the Enterprise episodes "Countdown" and "Zero Hour".
                                sigpic
                                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                                X