Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Star Trek Ep/Movie Did you Watch Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stardate 4202.9: The Doomsday Machine

Classic episode.... The device itself is pretty amusing by today's standards, but that aside this is a pretty fantastic episode. The damaged USS Constellation is a brilliant redress of the Enterprise sets, cost-effective and plot-effective all in one.

The actor playing Commodore Decker did just a fantastic job of playing a guy stricken with grief and post-traumatic stress disorder. And then, forever duty bound, he does his bit to save the day....
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

This evening I watched TNG episode "Inheritance". I hadn't seen this one in so long, and really enjoyed it.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I watched the original series episode The Cloud Minders. Not the best episode ever, not too bad either. Basically an episode about the upper class snobs holding the lower classes back and ignoring solutions for the lower class' plight because they want to have workers. TOS is still relevant imo. Weird thing about the episode, Spock seemed pretty out of character in how much he flirted in the episode.

I'm kind of in the mood for some DS9, I may pop in one of the better episodes like In the Pale Moonlight (which is actually one of the BEST episodes).
        "Yo, Adrian!" -Rocky in Rocky
        "That'll be the Day" -John Wayne in The Searchers

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          It's so ridiculously over the top I find it hilarious more than anything else. In this one, they even tried to explain it away as matching some guy's Scale of Parallel Development--while at the same time having Spock exclaim every 10 minutes his surprise at how similar to Earth it all is
          A... scale of Parallel Development..? Pffft. I gotta admit, that is ridiculously awesome.

Last night I watched DS9's "Heart of Stone" and "Destiny". Both are pretty good episodes, but I would say Destiny is easily the more interesting of the two. Very clever. It's surprising that after all those years, they could still make a fresh new idea for an episode.
          sigpic
          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent View Post
            A... scale of Parallel Development..? Pffft. I gotta admit, that is ridiculously awesome.
            Isn't it just?

Currently watching....

Stardate 4211.4: A Private Little War
            Yes, another world of primitives....with Kirk and McCoy on the world investigating a potential Klingon disruption of local affairs--all the while being unable to interfere themselves due to the Prime Directive. Well, mostly unable to interfere. We all know how Kirk is about silly little things like RULES.

A few interesting things in this episode, besides the local protagonist's awful blond wig.... The further examination of the Prime Directive is very, very welcome in this episode. Kirk even explains it, as best he can, to the locals. That's always nice to see. Even though it was an odd, not-so-subtle allegory for Vietnam.

It was also really nice to see, in a 60s TV series, a strong and powerful female leader. Friendly guy's wife, who obviously wears the pants in that relationship, also has powers as a healer which she uses for leverage however she sees fit. At one point, she even says to the husband that maybe she chose her spouse poorly. In that era of television, such a thing was practically unheard of.

I really enjoyed seeing another doctor in this episode as well. Too often in later Trek series, we see the CMO with a staff of nurses. Here we have another doctor--a Vulcan expert, no less--nursing Spock while McCoy returns to the planet with Kirk

edit; and oh my GOD what an enormous plot goof! The one side on the planet was being supplied with flintlock rifles by the Klingons, who were slowly upgrading their rifle technology. Various trials and tribulations later, Kirk begrudgingly decides that the best solution is to provide the other side with equally as many flintlocks, and then the ship sadly goes on its way. Except....according to earlier in the episode, there's still a Klingon ship in orbit, supplying one side with better and better weapons!
            Last edited by DigiFluid; 26 July 2009, 12:01 PM.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Stardate 4307.1: The Immunity Syndrome

...the one with the giant amoeba in space. Just one thing to say on this....kitchen knives as control levers in the shuttlecraft!

Comment

Stardate 4372.5: Elaan of Troyius

This episode was just awful. Awful, awful, and awful. It also contains the funniest exchange in the history of Star Trek:

Spock: "Captain, your analysis of the situation is flawless. How you arrived at it, I do not understand."
                Kirk: "Mr Spock, the women on your planet are logical. That's the only planet in the galaxy that can make that claim."

Comment

Stardate 4202.9: The Doomsday Machine

Classic episode.... The device itself is pretty amusing by today's standards, but that aside this is a pretty fantastic episode. The damaged USS Constellation is a brilliant redress of the Enterprise sets, cost-effective and plot-effective all in one.

The actor playing Commodore Decker did just a fantastic job of playing a guy stricken with grief and post-traumatic stress disorder. And then, forever duty bound, he does his bit to save the day....
                  Great episode that one. Reminded me of bits and pieces from Hornblower.

I watched The Big Goodbye and DataLore. Both pretty decent.
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Stardate 4385.3: Spectre of the Gun

...meh

Comment

Stardate 4385.3: Spectre of the Gun

...meh
                      Go on....
                      sigpic

Comment

No...no I think that about covers it

I think I'll watch one more as I try to go to sleep....and because I know exactly what I'm getting into, I won't mind too much if I fall asleep during

SD 4513.3: I, Mudd

Comment

Watched DS9's "Visionary" last night. Phew. Talk about a very implausible/confusing episode.... but I liked it quite a bit. It was neat that it placed a lot of importance on O'Brien (a character I love) and what he saw in the future. True, his time jumps were way too convenient and the 'swapping' of the O'Briens at the end pretty much amounts to nothing, but it was a lot of fun.

Next up is: Through the Looking Glass and Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast.
                          sigpic

Comment

No...no I think that about covers it

I think I'll watch one more as I try to go to sleep....and because I know exactly what I'm getting into, I won't mind too much if I fall asleep during

SD 4513.3: I, Mudd
                            This episode actually ended up being far more hilarious than I remember. Very few later Trek incarnations (if any) so amusingly portray one character's absolute dread of their wife than did this one

Comment

SD 4523.3: The Trouble With Tribbles

Classic episode in every way....

The Shat colossally overacting and needlessly repeating lines over and over again ("storage compartments, storage compartments?"), Starfleet personnel sitting around in a bar drinking and bickering over booze, before getting into a bar room brawl with a group of Klingons, good fun all around, and a memorable one-off character selling....TRIBBLES!

And also fodder for a future DS9 tribute episode I think it would be kind of cool to see someone edit together a fan version with the DS9 crew in the various scenes that they're in. Not a mashup episode with both plots going on at once--just the TOS episode with the DS9 people in the background of whatever scenes they were in

I really love how Kirk routinely derides and insults the incompetent Federation official on the station too
                              Last edited by DigiFluid; 27 July 2009, 01:18 PM.

Comment

This evening I watched TNG episode "Chain of Command". Both parts. Yet another really strong two-parter from this amazing show. And a lot of great guest stars.
                                sigpic
                                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                                "...phu...ah..."
                                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                                X