Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Star Trek Ep/Movie Did you Watch Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    No TV today....a friend and I have just beat co-op Gears of War twice, so we're taking a break to plow through Army of Two. That's what I did tonight
    Awesome. That's what me and my best friend did last year and it didn't take us too long to beat it. Good times.

Alright, last night I watched DS9's Past Tense Part I and II. This is Trek doing what it does best. A social commentary along with an engaging Time Travel story and a great twist at the end of Part I.

It's scary how accurate I think Ira and Robert were in their predictions of the near future. Sanctuary Districts are a very real and scary prospect, especially in these times. Well done.
    sigpic
    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent View Post
      Alright, last night I watched DS9's Past Tense Part I and II. This is Trek doing what it does best. A social commentary along with an engaging Time Travel story and a great twist at the end of Part I.

It's scary how accurate I think Ira and Robert were in their predictions of the near future. Sanctuary Districts are a very real and scary prospect, especially in these times. Well done.
      That's an absolutely brilliant pair of episodes. Not only did it allow for, as you've already said, some biting social commentary, it was also a great piece for the actors/characters. It allowed Siddig the opportunity to really grow Bashir in ways that, prior to that, he hadn't been able. And we got to see Sisko take on the burden of command in a very unique way.

Plus, it was a time-travel episode that didn't involve a Trek crew landing in modern-day Los Angeles, for a change. That's a nice change of pace too
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

TNG - Final Mission.
        Wesley really IS annoying! Even in his departing episode, he's just so... annoying.
        What really impressed me about the episode [apart from Patrick Stewart's acting, of course] was the special effects. The new shots of the Ent D towing the toxic barge [the Malon?! It was drifting for 300 years. It might have come from the Delta Quad], the shuttle out of control, the water forcefield and the energy ribbon... Beautiful. And it's only TNG s4! I loved the full size shuttle as well as the on-location shots. And the final shot of Beverly leading the crew out of the cave and into the light... Highly symbolic of the 'death' of Wesley from the crew and Will Wheaton's name from the opening credits.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
          TNG - Final Mission.
          Wesley really IS annoying! Even in his departing episode, he's just so... annoying.
          What really impressed me about the episode [apart from Patrick Stewart's acting, of course] was the special effects. The new shots of the Ent D towing the toxic barge [the Malon?! It was drifting for 300 years. It might have come from the Delta Quad], the shuttle out of control, the water forcefield and the energy ribbon... Beautiful. And it's only TNG s4! I loved the full size shuttle as well as the on-location shots. And the final shot of Beverly leading the crew out of the cave and into the light... Highly symbolic of the 'death' of Wesley from the crew and Will Wheaton's name from the opening credits.

and the malon? doesn't voyager encounter them?

Comment

TNG: All Good Things
            DS9: The Maquis, Part I
            People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

Whoa, nx. New shots of Ent-D? Forgive me if I sound like I've been under a rock since the nineties, but is there a re-edited version of this episode?

Aww, I liked Weesley. Okay, I felt he was a bit less annoying in this, his last ep compared to the boy wonder in earlier seasons.

Back to topic. I'm about to watch "Looking for Par'Mach in All the Wrong Places" (Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope. ) and try and kick-start my rewatch of DS9.

Here goes nothing.
              "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                Whoa, nx. New shots of Ent-D? Forgive me if I sound like I've been under a rock since the nineties, but is there a re-edited version of this episode?
                The Ent D entering orbit with the barge, another shot of them in orbit with the barge, towing the barge, disengaging the tractor beam and flying out of the way as the barge went towards the sun... Those all looked like original non-stock footage to me. I don't remember seeing those shots used in any other episodes before or since.
                sigpic
                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

This evening I watched TNG episode "In Theory".
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I haven't watched any Trek today.... I did watch episode 3 of Hung, the first two episodes of The Philanthropist, as well as the Children of the Gods recut.

The night is young though, I may watch some yet
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Stardate 3842.3: Journey to Babel

The final episode in "year 3" of TOS (remember, I'm watching by Stardate ). Got some great background development on Spock in this episode. Vulcan culture gets some development, Spock gets a family history, and a pet that gets revisited in an episode of TAS!

Nice to see a bunch of aliens in this episode too; Vulcans, Andorians, Tellarites, and a few other unnamed creatures.

Something I found a bit odd/interesting, the Vulcan method of physical attack that could have murdered the Tellarite is called Tal Shia....and later in the Trekverse the Romulan intelligence agency is the Tal Shiar....

Overall an interesting little whodunit sort of episode

Comment

I just finished watching DS9's "Life Support". Wow. Much better than what I remembered.

I think Jel was waiting to hear my thoughts on it, so I'll go into more detail tomorrow (today) on the superior thread when I'm not as tired.

(Also, after this episode, I'm now halfway through S3. Thinking about what I'll possibly start next, either rewatch S4 of DS9 or continue my TNG watch or... maybe a BSG rewatch...or.. Hmm.)
                        sigpic

Comment

Stardate 4040.7: Bread and Circuses

Another episode with a world with absurd parallels to Earth....I love it

I couldn't help but wonder about a lot of stuff in this episode though....they talk about the gladiator fights as if they don't want ratings to be hurt--how much of that was meant as a sly shot at the network threatening to cancel Star Trek at the time

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            Stardate 4040.7: Bread and Circuses

Another episode with a world with absurd parallels to Earth....I love it
                            Funny, that was the one thing that drove me crazy while watching a couple of TOS episodes. "Oh, look at that, they speak English. This planet is also very similar to earth. Good deal!" in a lot of the episodes I saw.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Descent View Post
                              Funny, that was the one thing that drove me crazy while watching a couple of TOS episodes. "Oh, look at that, they speak English. This planet is also very similar to earth. Good deal!" in a lot of the episodes I saw.
                              It's so ridiculously over the top I find it hilarious more than anything else. In this one, they even tried to explain it away as matching some guy's Scale of Parallel Development--while at the same time having Spock exclaim every 10 minutes his surprise at how similar to Earth it all is

Comment

Stardate 4187.3: The Slaver Weapon (TAS)

What can I say, it's TAS....but for all the bad rap the show gets, it's really not that bad. This one was written by Larry Niven, the guy behind the Ringworld series of novels. I had to chuckle a little when the dialog said that the 'slaver box' had been recovered from the planet Kzin....and that the aliens in this episode are the Kzinti, almost exactly as they're described in the Ringworld books

Also, I'm pretty sure whoever voiced the wussy telepath Kzinti in this is the same guy who did Shaggy in the Scooby Doo cartoon back then.
                                Last edited by DigiFluid; 25 July 2009, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X