Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Star Trek Ep/Movie Did you Watch Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
    DS9 - The Magnificent Ferengi
    Vorta Iggy Pop!
    sigpic

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
    - R.E.M.

Comment

TNG: Reunion

I haven't watched this episode in many years. I really like the fact that this episode was part of a continuing story with the Klingons. Serialized stories were incredibly rare in TNG and were the domain of DS9 so when I first watched this episode many years ago, I was greatly excited that Worf's discommendation story line was followed up with some real consequences and not another freakin' reset button.

Like my recent viewing of Sins of the Father, this episode had a big emotional impact on me because I see Worf and the Klingons very differently at this point in my life. I really understand where Worf is coming from now; I suppose there are a number similarities between me and the character, more than I thought.

I must say that seeing Worf kill Duras with his family's bat'leth (which had been in his family for many generations) was one of the most satisfying moments for Worf's character in any series. Duras had smeared Mogh's name and Worf's. He tried to have Kurn killed. He then killed K'Ehleyr, the woman Worf loved. There was a line that needed to be drawn with Duras' garbage and the Right of Vengeance was the answer, though it had to fall to Gowron to eventually restore Worf's name and honor. That wasn't just vengeance. It was justice.

Despite the Klingon intrigue and rituals, the most powerful moment of that episode was when K'Ehleyr joined hands with Worf and Alexander just before her death. For one brief moment, they were a family.
      Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 30 August 2010, 09:37 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
        TNG: Reunion

I haven't watched this episode in many years. I really like the fact that this episode was part of a continuing story with the Klingons. Serialized stories were incredibly rare in TNG and were the domain of DS9 so when I first watched this episode many years ago, I was greatly excited that Worf's discommendation story line was followed up with some real consequences and not another freakin' reset button.

Like my recent viewing of Sins of the Father, this episode had a big emotional impact on me because I see Worf and the Klingons very differently at this point in my life. I really understand where Worf is coming from now; I suppose there are a number similarities between me and the character, more than I thought.

I must say that seeing Worf kill Duras with his family's bat'leth (which had been in his family for many generations) was one of the most satisfying moments for Worf's character in any series. Duras had smeared Mogh's name and Worf's. He tried to have Kurn killed. He then killed K'Ehleyr, the woman Worf loved. There was a line that needed to be drawn with Duras' garbage and the Right of Vengeance was the answer, though it had to fall to Gowron to eventually restore Worf's name and honor. That wasn't just vengeance. It was justice.

Despite the Klingon intrigue and rituals, the most powerful moment of that episode was when K'Ehleyr joined hands with Worf and Alexander just before her death. For one brief moment, they were a family.
        Hello Mr. Worf then.

It was justice indeed.

Yeh, that moment was just so heart-breaking.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MacGadget View Post
          Hello Mr. Worf then.

It was justice indeed.

Yeh, that moment was just so heart-breaking.
          Well, I think it's fair to say that I'm a combination of Odo & Worf in real life, with a dose of Tom Paris.

Worf, K'Ehleyr & Alexander...
          sigpic

Comment

Well, I think it's fair to say that I'm a combination of Odo & Worf in real life, with a dose of Tom Paris.

Worf, K'Ehleyr & Alexander...
            Oh, that's nice. Really. With a dose of Tom Paris ( whos name I just used in the letter game, before I came here, talk about telepathic things ), maybe you mean his enthusiasm for fictions and such?

sigpic

Comment

Oh, that's nice. Really. With a dose of Tom Paris ( whos name I just used in the letter game, before I came here, talk about telepathic things ), maybe you mean his enthusiasm for fictions and such?
              Yeah. I suppose I'm a bit of an oddball for other in my field for liking science fiction but it's all blended with every other thing I like--hiking, kayaking, baseball, etc. But yeah, the Tom Paris side of me is when I'm off duty. When I'm working, I'm very much like Worf or Odo.
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah. I suppose I'm a bit of an oddball for other in my field for liking science fiction but it's all blended with every other thing I like--hiking, kayaking, baseball, etc. But yeah, the Tom Paris side of me is when I'm off duty. When I'm working, I'm very much like Worf or Odo.
                Heehee, that's good, dedicated person... who also loves Captain Proton and such.

sigpic

Comment

DS9 - Hippocratic Oath.

The A plot is not half bad! Bahsir's and O'Brien's clashing points of view on whether or not to help the Jem'Hadar, and Bashir (unsuccessfully) pulling rank on O'Brien... The Odo - Worf B plot is quite lame tho. But still, all in all - a very good episode.

I skipped "The Visitor", I never liked that one.
                  sigpic

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
                  - R.E.M.

Comment

Heehee, that's good, dedicated person... who also loves Captain Proton and such.
                    I always did like a good story, especially something that's either really serious or really funny like Captain Proton. I wouldn't mind playing out Paris' story on the holodeck, as cheesy & ridiculous that might be.
                    sigpic

Comment

I always did like a good story, especially something that's either really serious or really funny like Captain Proton. I wouldn't mind playing out Paris' story on the holodeck, as cheesy & ridiculous that might be.
                      That would be so much fun! Well, it wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd like to try that as well.

sigpic

Comment

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
                        Ugh.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

DS9 - Waltz
                          DS9 - Who Mourns for Morn
                          DS9 - Far Beyond the Stars
                          DS9 - One Little Ship
                          sigpic
                          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

VOY: Before and After & Real Life
                            DS9: Image in the Sand & Shadows and Symbols
                            People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

TNG: "Yesterday's Enterprise
                              sigpic

Comment

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
                                A truly wonderful, prescient film. An absolutely wonderful Star Trek analog to the contemporaneous Chernobyl disaster, collapse of the old Soviet regime and thaw of East-West relations in the real world. This film couldn't have been better timed, and it makes a wonderfully fitting end to the TOS era of Star Trek--a struggle, but justice and peace ultimately prevail.

This is also one of the finest examples of Star Trek using classical literature (and in particular, Shakespeare) to its storytelling advantage. The compare and contrast of human and Klingon cultures in this movie through literature and historical example is great too. The way the Klingons are absolutely baffled at what to do with napkins, while 'our' crew is baffled at Klingon behaviour--who are immediately called out by Azetbur, pointing out that the words "human rights" are inherently ethnocentric of us to be throwing around.

Performances across the board are terrific as well. Shatner plays a great warrior faced with peace as he reaches retirement age, Spock brokers said peace in a sort of mid-life crisis of his own, McCoy is hilariously grumpy to the end, while the rest of the cast delivers great performances as well. And the guest performers did great work too; David Warner does a great Gorkon, miles distant from the character he played in the previous film. Kim Cattrall does an interesting Vulcan who arrives at an entirely different conclusion from Spock when faced with peace; and of course the wonderful Christopher Plummer as one of the most memorable Klingons ever on screen.

The design choices and VFX are wonderful too. The blue-green Enterprise computers design is just beautiful, I wish it had seen more uses than this and a couple little cameos in TNG. All of the Klingon sets, whether on the ship, the court, or Rura Penthe all have a consistent awesomeness to them. The entire sequence on Rura Penthe (Alaska) are beautifully filmed and add so much to the film. Finally....the ship combat sequences. WOW. This is a textbook example of why models are better than CGI.

Beautiful, brilliant, genius film. A worthy end to the adventures of the original Enterprise crew.
                                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                                X