Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone seem to dislike Enterprise????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
    Give examples please. I cannot remember any actions events that did not make sense.

Same here, an a sixth season to the Romulan war in full flow. 5th was more of building up the romulans threat I believe.

Well I think that is why they were experimenting with the drone ships........The ones that reminded me of the Harvester ship in Elite Force... Interesting thing is in the Star Trek Chronology book they said the Earth / Romulan war was fought using conventional nuclear weapons...
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
      Well I think that is why they were experimenting with the drone ships........The ones that reminded me of the Harvester ship in Elite Force... Interesting thing is in the Star Trek Chronology book they said the Earth / Romulan war was fought using conventional nuclear weapons...
      And you hit upon my biggest problem with Enterprise. Very little acknowledgment of what was done and said in the previous series... to the point of ignoring previous Trek cannon entirely in favor of what they wanted to do on many occasions. It bugged me that Enterprise was supposed to exist in the bigger Star Trek Universe, but it ignored what came before and made very little effort to fit within the established cannon. It always damages a series as a whole if there are consistency issues present in individual segments. If you look at Star Trek as a whole, and as a fan I must, Enterprise's lack of continuity doesn't do Star Trek as a whole very many favors in terms of making the whole thing a single, flowing story. It introduces self-contradicting information in the backstory of Star Trek. Now, I know that the other series have some continuity issues, but they're generally minor for the most part, and not nearly to the degree of Enterprise.

Having said my piece regarding my least favorite aspect of Enterprise, I liked many things about the show in general: particularly characters and some of their storylines. I actually like Enterprise more than Voyager in terms of actually enjoying the show, which is a little ironic really. I like quite a few episodes within the series, especially within Season 4. So while the show is enjoyable for me to watch, I have my technical issues regarding the show as part of a larger whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Vis Uban View Post
        And you hit upon my biggest problem with Enterprise. Very little acknowledgment of what was done and said in the previous series... to the point of ignoring previous Trek cannon entirely in favor of what they wanted to do on many occasions. It bugged me that Enterprise was supposed to exist in the bigger Star Trek Universe, but it ignored what came before and made very little effort to fit within the established cannon. It always damages a series as a whole if there are consistency issues present in individual segments. If you look at Star Trek as a whole, and as a fan I must, Enterprise's lack of continuity doesn't do Star Trek as a whole very many favors in terms of making the whole thing a single, flowing story. It introduces self-contradicting information in the backstory of Star Trek. Now, I know that the other series have some continuity issues, but they're generally minor for the most part, and not nearly to the degree of Enterprise.

Having said my piece regarding my least favorite aspect of Enterprise, I liked many things about the show in general: particularly characters and some of their storylines. I actually like Enterprise more than Voyager in terms of actually enjoying the show, which is a little ironic really. I like quite a few episodes within the series, especially within Season 4. So while the show is enjoyable for me to watch, I have my technical issues regarding the show as part of a larger whole.

But why should Enterprise have acknowledged the use of nuclear weapons when itself was set before the Earth / Romulan wars? Though I am amazed they didn't have any nukes on the ship as that would have better fitted the timeline.

Comment

But why should Enterprise have acknowledged the use of nuclear weapons when itself was set before the Earth / Romulan wars? Though I am amazed they didn't have any nukes on the ship as that would have better fitted the timeline.
          Nukes seem rather pointless in ENT's era with kind of firepower stuff like phase cannons and photonic torpedos
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Nukes seem rather pointless in ENT's era with kind of firepower stuff like phase cannons and photonic torpedos

But Enterprise WAS supposed to be before the war with the Romulans so something went wonky somewhere

Comment

But Enterprise WAS supposed to be before the war with the Romulans so something went wonky somewhere
              And here is why people complain of ENT having cannon violations
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

You presuming that Earth could mass produce Enterprises, they could not it took four years to build the Columbria. An even the Xindi threat was apparent did not seem to produce any other ships to help defend earth.

Perhaps in the first stage of the war, Enterprise an Columbria was destroyed, in fact in the Novels Columbria disable an heavily damage was the first act of war against Earth, using a computer virus . Enterprise could of went down shortly afterwards using a similar technique.
                May be earth won the war using nuclear weapons an nuclear reactors an ships without view screens but it started with most earth ships have views screens, an anti matter weapons.

But in Enterprise, watch without know the few lines that was said in the original show then the action does makes sense. I took Jelgate comment to mean the action did not makes sense in terms of Enterprise own stories an internal logic.

An the time stories in Enterprises also allows for wonkiness to occur in the overall universe.
                Last edited by knowles2; 02 August 2010, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  And here is why people complain of ENT having cannon violations
                  Since this was already explained by jelgate, I'll simply say, "Indeed."

You presuming that Earth could mass produce Enterprises, they could not it took four years to build the Columbria. An even the Xindi threat was apparent did not seem to produce any other ships to help defend earth.

Perhaps in the first stage of the war, Enterprise an Columbria was destroyed, in fact in the Novels Columbria disable an heavily damage was the first act of war against Earth, using a computer virus . Enterprise could of went down shortly afterwards using a similar technique.
                  May be earth won the war using nuclear weapons an nuclear reactors an ships without view screens but it started with most earth ships have views screens, an anti matter weapons.
                  The fact that Earth could not mass produce the NX class is a fair point, but it's also important to remember that the NX was not the only ship available to Earth...there were several other ships mentioned of different classes, like the Intrepid, for example, that were shown to have at least phase cannons. So these ships would have had to be neutralized as well before Earth would hypothetically revert to significantly older technology.

I also think that it's questionable that Earth would have regressed its weapon technology in the middle of a war to the point that they were using nuclear weapons when better weapons were available. It's not a general practice to revert to using older weapons when fighting a new war. Another point to this is that the Romulan's weapon technology was at least on par with Starfleet's when they were using phase cannons and photonic torpedeos, so if Starfleet regressed to nuclear weapons, the Romulans would have had a pretty decisive tactical advantage there, which is made even worse by the fact that they had shield and cloaking technology in Enterprise, while Earth did not. I just don't see how Earth could actually win such a war.

All this said, I can't really think of any other way to make what was done in Enterprise mesh with what happened in TOS either though.

But in Enterprise, watch without know the few lines that was said in the original show then the action does makes sense. I took Jelgate comment to mean the action did not makes sense in terms of Enterprise own stories an internal logic.

An the time stories in Enterprises also allows for wonkiness to occur in the overall universe.
                  The point is though that there are those lines in TOS, and that Enterprise does not exist in a vacuum. It is called Star Trek: Enterprise, therefore it takes place in Star Trek's Universe, not its own. It should take into account what TOS said on the subject of technology at the time. So just because it makes sense in the internal Enterprise sense, does not mean it makes sense in the greater world of Star Trek, which goes back to my afore-posted issue with the series introducing inconsistencies in overall story of Star Trek.
                  Last edited by Vis Uban; 02 August 2010, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Well we know that the defeat of the Romulan empire at the hands of us meddling humans was extremely embarrassing for the Romulan empire.

The biggest reason, besides the fact we were a tiny force, may be it was also the fact that we use primitive ships an weapons to do it, which would of been even more embarrassing for the romulan star empire.

No wonder they held grudge for the last 3 centuaries, defeated by humans in spaceships with no views an nuclear weapons an reactors, how embarrassing.

Comment

Enterprise was the firt ST show I saw, and I enjoyed it, back then. But then I saw Voyager... and I was like: wow, so that's why ppl love ST! Yeh, if I compare ENT to Voyager or to TNG, these 2 are so much better, in every way. My main problem with ENT was that it was kinda boring. The stories themselves could've been more interesting, but the way they wrote it, acted it, that was poor. Season 3 was exciting. But that's all. And when I finished with ENT, after a few months when I was watching Voyager, and season 3, when the Borg shows up, I was like: who the hell are these creatures??? Yeh, I didn't even remember the episode 'Regeneartion' from ENT. So yeh, it didn't make a big effect on me. And after Voyager I made a Borg-research , and I watched 'Q Who?' from TNG... which was really weird. So, we met the Borg hunderds of years before Picard would've met them... I guess the crew of Picard's Enterprise just didn't remember that particular mission report from Archer.
                      Well, Bakula and Trinneer were hot, that's for sure.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MacGadget View Post
                        Enterprise was the firt ST show I saw, and I enjoyed it, back then. But then I saw Voyager... and I was like: wow, so that's why ppl love ST! Yeh, if I compare ENT to Voyager or to TNG, these 2 are so much better, in every way. My main problem with ENT was that it was kinda boring. The stories themselves could've been more interesting, but the way they wrote it, acted it, that was poor. Season 3 was exciting. But that's all. And when I finished with ENT, after a few months when I was watching Voyager, and season 3, when the Borg shows up, I was like: who the hell are these creatures??? Yeh, I didn't even remember the episode 'Regeneartion' from ENT. So yeh, it didn't make a big effect on me. And after Voyager I made a Borg-research , and I watched 'Q Who?' from TNG... which was really weird. So, we met the Borg hunderds of years before Picard would've met them... I guess the crew of Picard's Enterprise just didn't remember that particular mission report from Archer.

The research done by the Hansen's was not that much before Picard's time. I would say around 25 years since 7 of 9 is about that age when we met her and she was assimilated as a tiny child...... And that research would have been classified......So even Picard might not have had security clearance to even know it existed.

Comment

Right! Thanks for the answer Coco Pops! And what about the Ferrengis? I mean as far as I can remember, they showd up in ENT, I remember an episode where T'Pol was stroking a Ferrengi's ears LOL, but in TNG, season 1, Picard talks about them as a species they don't know anything about...

sigpic

Comment

I'll second that. Especially Bakula
                            sigpic

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
                            - R.E.M.

Comment

Originally posted by Raw_Deal View Post
                              I'll second that. Especially Bakula
                              You gotta love a masculine, carismatic, handsome captain with a hairy chest.

sigpic

Comment

Right! Thanks for the answer Coco Pops! And what about the Ferrengis? I mean as far as I can remember, they showd up in ENT, I remember an episode where T'Pol was stroking a Ferrengi's ears LOL, but in TNG, season 1, Picard talks about them as a species they don't know anything about...
                                A writer's stuff up.........

Or as Trek fans call it a "YATI" Yet Another Trek Inconsistency

Comment

Working...
                                X