British Trek News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Trek News

I don't know if this has been mentioned here but FTN will soon be renamed Virgin 1 and they've bought the rights to all the Trek shows which totals 600hrs so expect it soon and for FREE

Virgin 1 will be on FREEview, Cable & Sky

http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051255

Ah. Cool! This is great news. Now all I need is a new aerial and a decent Freeview receiver...
    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Man I wish I had freeview in america! There's nothing like that here, we're in the stoneage.

Comment

It's Virgin Media's way of having ago at Sky over carriage rights which is a long story

Comment

I don't think Sky are going to like this at all. They show Star Trek all the time and are currently showing Enterprise through the day and TNG at nights.

However I won't complain, as I can still watch it either way. All they need is Stargate and that would make a lot of NTL users happy.

sigpic

Comment

what is freeview?

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
              what is freeview?
              Freeview is a service provider for digital terrestrial television. There is a one-off payment - for the digital decoder box to access the digital channels through the TV aerial. The "free" (nothing is ever free) in Freeview is that once the box is set up, all the channels through that service are available to watch - there is no subscription fee afterwards. We still have to pay our TV licence fee every year to allow us to own and operate TV equipment or else get busted by the authorities for having TV equipment without a licence.

A digital TV decoder is going to be absolutely essential to continue watching television for everyone living in Britain (that's Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland and all the islands surrounding us ) as the analogue signal will be switched off around about 2010-12.

Comment

y dosen't skyone show DS9 anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Capricorn_One View Post
                  y dosen't skyone show DS9 anymore?
                  Sky One go through each series one at a time. At nights they show TNG, so when they run the series i'd expect DS9 and then VOY. They also show TNG on Sky Two with ENT, so it's possible the same will happen after they've finished those.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
                    what is freeview?
                    The old analogue signal is getting switched off in the UK and being replaced by MPEG2 (would have prefered mpeg4) so we have more space for channels and they call it FREEview. You just need to buy a set-top-box which is a one off fee and then pay for the BBC for their TV Licence each years (this years £135.50/$260) even if you prefer not to have/watch them

http://www.freeview.co.uk/home

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze View Post
                      Man I wish I had freeview in america! There's nothing like that here, we're in the stoneage.
                      well you get a lod more channels on basic terrestrial, we only get 4/5 depending on where you live, so don't complain, we still only get around 30 extra channels with freeview, sure its all digital and stuff, but when you get interference, i think id rather have a bit of static than whole seconds of lag or weird pixelated fragments and stuff.

that cool though FTN show rubbish most of the time, they used to show the dilbert animated series, and that was pretty much the best thing they show apart from season 1 x-files, am looking forward to virgin 1 though
                      Spoiler:
                      Disclaimer:
                      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                      Quotes!
                      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                        well you get a lod more channels on basic terrestrial, we only get 4/5 depending on where you live
                        That's the old Analogue signal which is getting switched off

and that was pretty much the best thing they show apart from season 1 x-files, am looking forward to virgin 1 though

Thats from their sister station UK Living so I expect the X-Files will be staying

Here's the advert if you missed it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=id2xm8HRri8

Comment

Originally posted by Defiant View Post
                          That's the old Analogue signal which is getting switched off

Thats from their sister station UK Living so I expect the X-Files will be staying

Here's the advert if you missed it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=id2xm8HRri8
                          cool terminator chronicles too, i never heard if that was bad or good

so what is you'r analogue being replaced with?
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                          Quotes!
                          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                          sigpic

Comment

cool terminator chronicles too, i never heard if that was bad or good

so what is you'r analogue being replaced with?
                            The analogue signal is being replaced by a digital signal, which is why we need to get new boxes.

It seems DS9 will the be only show they'll be using at the start. It's possible Sky and Scifi have the rights to finish airing the shows (TNG/ENT on Sky, TOS on Scifi) before V1 can air them. I would have expect them to start with ENT, then TOS and so forth in order but I guess not. But I do love DS9 so I won't complain about it being aired first.

sigpic

Comment

Aw. is that true? I had been rewatching DS9 since last year and I'm stuck at season four atm. I've no real desire to start from season one again and I've just recently finished watching the entire rerun of TOS on BBC2. TNG is also being shown late at night on BBC2 in the slot that TOS was in. It's great to see the Ent-D and her crew again. I've a feeling that the new Virgin channel will start showing TNG once it has finished its run on the BBC.

I hoped they would've started with Enterprise as it's been a few years since I last watched the earlier seasons and I wanted to see if the series was better the second time around. Oh well, it should give me time to buy a decent set top box and get my aerial realigned.

Comment

Working...
                              X