Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti JJ Abrams | Who Do You Want in Control of Star Trek?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoneReconEagle View Post
    Ronald had creative differences with Paramount and hasnt been involved with Trek since during Voyager's run (thank you TREK_GIRL42!!!).
    It wasn't Paramount he had differences with, it was Berman/Braga- big difference. Paramount would probably have him back in a heartbeat.

I agree, Frakes might be the one to take up a major role in directing/producing a future Trek series. I wouldn't mind that- he directed my favourite Star Trek film (First Contact), and did some great work directing Enterprise.

Comment

I didn't necessarily like the end products of all of Frakes jobs, but I didn't have any problem with the directing. It was usually the scripts and storylines that I disliked, and he had nothing to do with that.

I could see him making a decent DS9 movie, or a ST mini-series to test the waters and see if the time is right for the return of ST.

Comment

Ever since DS9 left the airwaves, ive been preaching that the future of Trek would not be in theatrical movies but rather made for DVD and/or TV movies and/or mini-series.

More stories can be told and shared by having mini-series.

Think of your Trek history.

What significant events or storylines have they talked about that would make decent, good, or great mini-series?

Cardassian Occupation / Bajoran Resistance
        Cardassian War
        Dominion War
        Eugenics Wars
        Klingon War
        Kzinti War
        Romulan War
        Wolf 359

Take WOLF 359 for instance. Two episodes of TNG and the pilot of DS9 had scenes from the massacre. The mini-series starts with a three-minute overview of how the Borg captured Picard, made Locutus, and traveled to WOLF 359 from TNG. Add several hours of battles, with some of the flashback scenes from DS9, with the Borg from Federation and Klingon viewpoints. Then end the show with the Borg leaving and an overview from TNG on how they stopped the Borg at Sector 001. You got yourself anywhere from a 4-8 hour miniseries.

Trek died. In order for it to resurrect, it need time to heal itself, not a "reinvention" or "reimagination". Time.

TV TIMELINE
        TOS. Unsuccessful venture.
        TOS to TAS was 4 years with no overlap (1969-1973). Unsuccessful venture.
        TAS to TNG was 13 years with no overlap (1974-1987). Successful venture.
        TNG to DS9 was 6 years with 1 year of overlap (1987-1993). Successful venture.
        DS9 to VOY was 2 years with 4 years of overlap (1993-1995). Successful venture.
        VOY to ENT was 0 years with no overlap (1995-2001). Unsuccessful venture.

MOVIE TIMELINE
        TOS to TMP was 10 years (1969-1979) with one TV series run. Successful venture.
        TMP to TWOK was 3 years (1979-1982). Successful venture.
        TWOK to TSFS was 2 years (1982-1984). Unsuccessful venture.
        TSFS to TVH was 2 years (1984-1986). Successful venture.
        TVH to TFF was 3 years (1986-1989) with TV series running. Unsuccessful venture.
        TFF to TUC was 2 years (1989-1991) with TV series running. Successful venture.
        TUC to GEN was 3 years (1991-1994) with TV series running. Unsuccessful venture.
        GEN to FC was 2 years (1994-1996) with 2 TV series running. Successful venture.
        FC to INS was 2 years (1996-1998) with 2 TV series running. Unsuccessful venture.
        INS to NEM was 4 years (1998-2002) with TV series running. Unsuccessful venture.
        NEM to ST will be 6 years (2002-2008).

Look at the dates. Oversaturation in a fragile market combined with TV episode-like scripts and episode-type filming destroyed the movie franchise. Its not the director's faults, mostly, for poor scripts.

Time will heal most wounds. In the meantime, books and some comics can/will continue the adventures until a time in which Trek can make a successful comeback.

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
        I didn't necessarily like the end products of all of Frakes jobs, but I didn't have any problem with the directing. It was usually the scripts and storylines that I disliked, and he had nothing to do with that.

I could see him making a decent DS9 movie, or a ST mini-series to test the waters and see if the time is right for the return of ST.
        Once a MARINE, Always a MARINE

God Bless, Protect, and Speed,

Robert Emmett Stephen Doyle IX

Irish by ancestry, American by birth, but MARINE by the grace of God.
        Fortitudine Vincit, In Deo Speramus, Semper Fidelis

SEMPERTOONS: http://www.sempertoons.com/
        SEMPERTOONS Store: www.cafepress.com/sempertoons

Comment

Indeed indeed. I would LOVE to see a series of three miniseries (each 3-6 episodes long) dealing with, in order:

1) The Federation's disastrous first contact with the Cardassian Union
          2) The end of the Cardassian Occupation / Bajoran Resistance, where they are at war with the Federation, and taking enough loses so that the Resistance starts to play a big role.
          3) The Cardassian War itself.

Because I like Piper so much from 2 of the Star Trek books (mainly from Dreadnought!), I imagined that by this time she would be an old woman, and an admiral. I figured she'd be the type of person to engage in a first contact mission, and then take local command of a war once it started.

I also thought of tying the beginning of the Cardassian War to something that was mentioned in Voyager. In one (pretty poor) episode Captain Janeway mentions that the federation had lost a number of ships studying a Particle Fountain in the Alpha Quadrant.

I figured that could be tied with the beginning of the war. The Particle Fountain is a subspace anomaly, and it just appears one day past the farthest edge of Federation space, right near the Cardassian border (though they don't know this yet). They send a small fleet to investigate, because they've heard of this type of anomaly before, and they know it is dangerous, but they want to get close look for... whatever reason. I don't know if you'd need a reason. This is Starfleet. It's just what they do.

Anyway, The Cardassians detect the anomaly on the edge of their space, and send a few ships to investigate it as well (sorta like what happened with the romulans in All Good Things...). Both sides move in, and lose a number of ships to the fountain (owing to it being a monster anomaly and all). In fact, the Cardassians loose all of their ships. Their military command isn't happy with the loss of a battlegroup, and it doesn't believe that a large group of alien ships nearby is a simple coincidence, and they launch an attack. Poof. War started.

Anyway, that's what was rolling around inside my head for the first miniseries. I've always wanted to know more about the Cardassian war, and how it started.

Comment

Ronald D Moore. Because I liked DS9, and because I though Voyager and Enterprise were awful, and Insurrection and Nemesis were also bad.

But First Contact was good.
            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Although I would love to see Ronald D Moore return to Star Trek, I think he is done with it for good.

J Michael Straczynski would have been a great show runner. He would have given the franchise the care and respect it deserves, imo. I think he would only take up stewardship if he were allowed full creative control with no interference from the Big Giant Heads at CBS Paramount. Not like that would ever happen!
              "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Working...
              X