No announcement yet.

The Star Trek: XI Speculation/Rumors/Ideas/spoilers/News Thread SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trekmovie.com has the entire panel on Youtube: Link.

I cheered when Nimoy came out.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
      oh my gods, i thought the poster with the statue of liberty was Star Trek. I've been thinking that for a few days, imagining what could the Klingons/Romulans could have done to the statue.. LoL. Until just now i realised it was for another movie!

Congratulations for the physionomists who picked up the new Spock! very good resemblance!

Comment

Ahahahahahaha I thought that too Arga! Opps.

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
          Heh. I kept hitting F5 to refresh the tabs I had open at TrekBBS, Trek Movie and a live report from the Paramount panel at Comic Con. Man, I was so hyped up for this news, but it was a bit of an anti-climax in the end. They are going to have to hurry up and find the new Kirk if filming starts in November.
          LOL- I was doing the exact same thing right from 1:30 when the Paramount panel started (even though I knew Trek would be last ), sigh was hopeing for some new stuff, but the confirmations are great, and how cool will it be for Nimoy to put the ears on again! And Quinto will make an excellent Spock- thanks for posting that pic TRexx. I'm amused that they're wearing the same colours as well.

Comment

Zachary Quinto has told SCI FI Wire that his role as Spock will be done "with the guidance and approval of and the excitement of the man that created it", i.e. the one and only Leonard Nimoy. Quinto also says, "It's not about recreating anything, it's about reimagining it."

In an exclusive video interview with IESB at ComicCon, Quinto again says it's all simply a "new imagining", for which he'll be doing a lot of research into TOS. Here's an excerpt from that dialogue...

IESB: "Were you a fan of Star Trek?"

Quinto: "I was a fan, but I wasn't a fanatic. I feel like I have a lot to learn about the mythology, and the lexicon of the mythology. It's very Shakespearean to me. I was saying before, I find it a very theatrical, very heightened world. There's something that, you know -- I studied Shakespeare for a lot of years in school -- and I feel really drawn to that level of mythology. So, I'm really excited to immerse myself in it. I have four months before we start, so I'm going to be doing a lot of reading, and a lot of research, about the context of the world that we're entering into. I'm excited to be a part of it in this new imagining."

IESB: "One of the things I love about Spock is he's half Human, half Vulcan. He controlled his human side, his emotions, but he's had a struggle. Is that something we're going to explore in the movie?"

Quinto: "I think that's going to be a lot of the journey of the character. You meet him at a time in his life where he's probably not as grounded in his certitude toward, uh, toward -- one of the misconceptions I had was that Vulcans didn't possess emotions, but Vulcans choose not to engage their emotional side. I think that's going to be something that's really interesting to explore, since he is half Human and half Vulcan."

----------------
            Ubuntu Studio Review @ Performance PC

Comment

Originally posted by TRexx View Post
              Quinto: "I was a fan, but I wasn't a fanatic.
              Fan is short for fanatic.

Comment

Fan is short for fanatic.
                Yet not all fans are fanatical.

CanMag has posted a transcript of the Team Abrams Star Trek panel at Comic-Con.

Ubuntu Review @ Laptop Magazine

Comment

Yet not all fans are fanatical.
                  Yet that is a contradition.

Comment

Yet that is a contradition.
                    Not in common use like Quinto's. Some words are Americanisms rather than true synonyms.

The word "fan" is an Americanism for "admirer", whereas the synonym "fanatic" is used as "unreasoning zealot."

Similarly, "fantastic" is an Americanism for "splendid", whereas the synonym "fantastical" is used as "highly unrealistic."

Comment

The word "fan" is an Americanism for "admirer", whereas the synonym "fanatic" is used as "unreasoning zealot."
                      Irelavent, it is incorrect usage of the English language. Fan, fanatic, admirer, they all mean the same thing. Fanatic does not mean unreasoning zealot. Fanatic is not a synonym for fan. Fan is simply short for fanatic. I don't have issue with slang. I have issue with someone making a completely contradicting statement like, "I'm a fan, not a fanatic."

Comment

I have issue with someone making a completely contradicting statement like, "I'm a fan, not a fanatic."
                        That seems rather... fanatical.

The Oxford dictionary agrees with Quinto's use of the words:
                        Fanatic = "A person filled with excessive zeal."
                        Fan = "A person who has a strong interest in or admiration."

Quinto is saying he has been an admirer of Star Trek, but not overly zealous about it.

At TrekWeb: Leonard Nimoy Talks About Star Trek Script, Says Spock Role More Than a Cameo, Essential and Important to the Script

Last edited by TRexx; 01 August 2007, 10:07 PM.

Comment

I agree- there are plenty of things that I'm a "fan" of, but not a "fanatic". If I want to use a stronger term than fan, then I'll use it. Fan is just the general word for people who like something. Doesn't mean they're fanatical about it. The meanings of words adjust over time, when people started saying "fan" it would have meant "fanatical", but the connotation of the word has changed- it's now used for more casual interest that wouldn't be mistaken for fanaticism.

If that makes sense.

Comment

I'm a Fanatic of Stargate, Star Trek (the entire franchise, not just one show), Scrubs, Family Guy, and Futurama
                            I'm a Fan of BSG, Lost, Eureka, The Simpsons, American Dad.

I'm only naming a few. The list goes on longer.
                            sigpic

Comment

Entertainment Weekly had an exclusive chat with JJ Abrams, Leonard Nimoy, and Zachary Quinto at Comic-Com. The 3-page article is posted here.

EW: "Why did you feel that it was important for Leonard to be in the movie?"

ABRAMS: "The story needed his participation for a number of reasons. One, the plot. In many ways, the story revolves around the character of Spock. Two, I think it's critical if we're going to look at reintroducing these characters -- I didn't want to disrespect what had come before, for those who care about that. But we're making this movie for people who don't care about Star Trek too. This isn't about pleasing the fans, this is about making a great film. And to do that, you have to both please the fans and please the people who've never seen Star Trek. So having Leonard in the film shows that this film exists in a continuum of Trek history, as opposed to an absolute, page 1 reinvention."

At TrekWeb: Leonard Nimoy Talks About William Shatner Not Being in New Star Trek Movie

Ubuntu Studio Review @ Performance PC

Comment

For those of you who think that the Trek XI movie will be a reboot, think again. Here is a direct quote from TrekMovie.com interviewing Nimoy:

TrekMovie.com: I know you first talked to J.J. Abrams and his team late last year, but when was it first clear to you and them that you were going to be in the film?

Leonard Nimoy: When I first read the script…which was about three months ago. I immediately contacted J.J. and said “I think it is terrific…I think you guys have done a wonderful job. There is still work to be done, but it is very clear that you and your writers know what you are doing and you know how to do this movie and know what it should be about….and I am very interested.” Then as time went by we worked things out with Paramount, but the most important things were J.J. and the script. I can tell you is that they have a very fine script and that J.J. is an awesome director and they have done a wonderful job of finding Zachary Quinto who not only is going to look enough like me to make it work, but is also the perfect actor. I am very pleased about that and I am very comfortable with where this is going. I think the writers have done a terrific job. They have a real sense of the characters and the heart of Star Trek and what it is really all about. and I think we have a chance to make a really fine movie

TrekMovie.com: When you say a sense of the heart of what it is really all about, what do you think that ‘heart’ of Star Trek is that they have captured.

Leonard Nimoy: It is the camaraderie…I am talking the original Star Trek, I can’t speak for The Next Generation or Enterprise or Deep Space Nine or any of them. I am talking about the original concept of the camaraderie between these people. The professionalism of these people. Their sense of humor…which I think is terribly important. And the idea that these are very professional people that work together to solve problems. And the problems are not between these people and amongst themselves, but the problems are from outside forces of various kinds that they have to encounter and deal with. These are people who you enjoy rooting for and you have confidence in and I think that is terribly important. And also to know that when they joke with each other it is out of respect for each other – they respect and admire each other and count on each other. All those elements I think are available and [co-writers Bob] Orci and [Alex] Kurtzman understand that and J.J. certainly understands that and has a grasp of that.

TrekMovie.com: Many Star Trek fans have voiced concerns over the new film and its place in Star Trek’s so called ‘canon.’ From what you know, do you think the film fit within the Star Trek universe?

Leonard Nimoy: Yah…I don’t have any qualms about that. I think these writers and J.J. have taken great pains to see to that they honor the Star Trek history and the Star Trek canon. I don’t think there is going to be any problem with that at all…this is not an issue. I have seen quibbles on the Internet with people very nicely concerned. Saying “who else can play Kirk and Spock…it is not possible.” Well it is possible. Don’t worry. Once people see this film and see how good it is all those quibbles will go away. Are they respectful? Are they trampling on history? Will the canon be intact? None of that stuff is going to happen.

TrekMovie.com: Have you talked to J.J. about your thoughts on Bill being in the film?

Leonard Nimoy: It is not up to me. I told J.J. that I was with Bill in Philidelphia last weekend and that Bill was disappointed that as of now he is not in the film. He was reported as being ‘furious’ and that is not accurate at all. I think he is appropriately disappointed, but I think he has come to a kind of understanding. After all, and Bill and I talked about this, the fact is his character did die in [Star Trek:] Generations. He said “ya but you died at the end of [Star Trek] II.” And I said “but I was resurrected…that is the difference between you and I.” [laughs] I also said to him that if I had been in Generations I would not have let him die…and that is a fact. I thought it was gratuitous. I didn’t see why…what was the point? I thought it was a waste of a very important character.

TrekMovie.com: You have said that you are playing the original and now older Spock and you are saying that Kirk cannot be in the film because he died in Generations. The implication here is that you are playing Spock in a future time period after Generations right?

Leonard Nimoy: You are digging for story points [laughs] you are doing a very good job of it but I am not going to comment any further.

For more information about the interview, check out the following link:

http://trekmovie.com/2007/08/01/inte...-nimoy-part-1/

Sweet! This is sounding better and better by the minute!
                                Have you ever remembered what life was like before you were born? That's how it will be like after you're dead.

Comment

Working...
                                X