No announcement yet.

Star Trek Nemesis: Love it or hate it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was watching the youtube video of the battle and it brought up a question. Why the hell did they treat the viewscreen like a window? It's like it's attached directly to the inside of the hull. That would mean the bridge would be ridiculously easy to take out.
    Last edited by jds1982; 07 November 2006, 12:09 PM.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Loved it.

Yes, it was very centred on Picard and Data, but what I saw more was the story that, while a clone can look the same - it doesnt mean it/he/she IS the same.

Plus I adore Romulans, so too finally have them in a movie is perfect for me, as no offense but Klingons are getting boring.
      Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
        I was watching the youtube video of the battle and it brought up a question. Why the hell did they treat the viewscreen like a window? It's like it's attached directly to the inside of the hull. That would mean the bridge would be ridiculously easy to take out.
        I don't know what you're getting at here...the viewscreen is not a window, it just shows what's outside the ship (but I guess they had it stuck on "forward" all through the movie).

It's the same for pretty much all Starfleet ships.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
          I don't know what you're getting at here...the viewscreen is not a window, it just shows what's outside the ship (but I guess they had it stuck on "forward" all through the movie).

It's the same for pretty much all Starfleet ships.
          Yes I know it's not a window, that's why I asked why they treated it like a window in a specific scene. I'm talking about when the Scimitar strafes the Enterprise and blows a hole in the bridge. I never thought the viewscreen was attached directly to the hull. Well you know what nevermind, now that I think about it Starfleet ships usually do have their bridges at the very top of the saucer section, I don't know why, it makes it a nice tempting target with very little to protect the bridge.
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

To me, it was a decent Sci-Fi movie but not a good Star Trek movie. And why did they leave the whole B4 thing open as if Data will return in some form someday. It felt like a complete turn around after what just happened.
            sigpic
            "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
            DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

i thought it left a sense of hope, which it was supposed to, at the core that is what ST is alll about

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                I don't know why, it makes it a nice tempting target with very little to protect the bridge.
                Tell me about it. This is a big problem with Starfleet ships.

That, and the spindly necks and nacelle pylons. Totally moronic.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  Tell me about it. This is a big problem with Starfleet ships.

That, and the spindly necks and nacelle pylons. Totally moronic.
                  well most starfleet ships are ships of exploration. If you look at te later ships thay are more defensible

i.e.- Defiant class(Perfect example), Akira class ( Did away with the neck and high nacelles pylon), and the Soviergn( Did away with the neck)

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorgerheaus View Post
                    well most starfleet ships are ships of exploration. If you look at te later ships thay are more defensible

i.e.- Defiant class(Perfect example), Akira class ( Did away with the neck and high nacelles pylon), and the Soviergn( Did away with the neck)
                    Heck, the Enterprise NX-01 didn't have a neck. Why did they have to add one?
                    sigpic

Comment

Because BnB were too lazy to make a new ship.

I liked Nemesis. It isn't a particularly good Sci-fi film other than for the action, which each time I watch it, I watch it for the action. Oh and the soundtrack. Loved the soundtrack.

I wouldn't call FC the best Sci-fi ever. Definately one of the best but not the best.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon_06 View Post
                        Heck, the Enterprise NX-01 didn't have a neck. Why did they have to add one?
                        The NX Enterprise always reminded me of an upturned Akira-class, with the circular warp nacelles, similar to the TOS Enterprise.

I might try watching Nemesis again sometime. Maybe if I watch it again and again, I may grow to appreciate it a bit more.
                        "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                          Disappointing. Very disappointing. My friend (who is also a long-time Trek fan) and I finally got round to watching it this year. At the end of the film, we were both in agreement that apart from the action sequences; NOTHING actually happens. Or maybe something did, but it was too uninteresting for us to care; so when the whole Picard clone and B4 thing was going on, we just talked about classic TNG moments of old.

The film was too focussed on Picard, Data and Shinzon, when everyone should have had their fair share of screen time, as this was to be the last film with the TNG crew. Oh well, Nemesis was the first of the even-numbered Trek films to bomb badly. Maybe the new odd-numbered film will break the mould and actually be good for a change? I suppose we'll know for sure come 2008.

What? Nothing happened? I was under the impression that it set the Federation is good waters with the Romulan Senate and such.

Doesn't that forbode well for the Alpha Quadrant?

BTW, I liked it, it was different, it was cool, but on the other hand, I am a big TNG fan, but I don't like the original series that much. I think that if you were a long time Trek fan, or not a Trek fan at all, you would probably hate it. But if you like the characters as much as I do....well, you might just like it. It was well directed, at least I think. It was pretty well written, except for two things, and they are pretty big:

There was too much concentration on Shinzon. I mean, a clone? Been there, seen that. Think of something newer.

And killing Data. Why the hell did you do that you *******s? You don't kill Data, Data kills you!

I can see how people didn't like it though, it was unlike pretty much every Star Trek movie ever. I mean, someone compared it to Wrath of Khan, but that is rediculous. Wrath of Khan blows it out of the water.
                          Jack (Addressing Teal'c): You're so.....shallow!
                          Daniel: Oh please, Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know, I mean, he's so deep! Come on, tell them how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                          Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this converstation.
                          Daniel: OH! You see!?
                          Jack: No more beer for you.

Bring back SG-1 on SciFi, or the terrorists win.

Comment

Originally posted by VolrathEvincar View Post
                            I mean, someone compared it to Wrath of Khan, but that is rediculous. Wrath of Khan blows it out of the water.
                            Uh...re-read the comments that said that (mine included). They were negative. Calling Nemesis "The Wrath of Khan: TNG" is a belittling statement.
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by VolrathEvincar View Post
                              What? Nothing happened? I was under the impression that it set the Federation is good waters with the Romulan Senate and such.

Doesn't that forbode well for the Alpha Quadrant?
                              Oh yeah, there was that part. Like I said, there wasn't that much to hold my attention. *shrug*
                              "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

I made the Wrath of Kahn comparison, mainly since it was the big thing going through my mind in the theater besides "I paid 8 bucks for THIS?!"

Think about it. We have the character from our Captain's past (I know, a bit of a stretch, but it works if you look at it right), the big climactic battle in a nebula, and the sacrifice of a major character.

WoK had quality to it. It had a strong, compelling story. It had action. It had memorable dialogue. Nemesis had... nothing besides the action. Oh it was a send-off for TNG alright. A send-off to Star Trek movie Hell. Patrick Stewart had said that his continuing the role of Jean-Luc Picard would depend on how Nemesis did in theaters. He said that before it came out. I swear to God, I was hearing the funeral march in my head as the credits rolled.
                                War... war never changes

Comment

Working...
                                X