40 Years today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shelsfc
    I was watching that earlier!! LOL!! I love that ep! Though I would have thought City on the Edge of Forever would have gotten best ep...
    I agree- City on the Edge of Forever with Trouble With Tribbles a close second, then followed by The Doomsday Machine.

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out. Have now changed the date. I was half asleep.

It's quite impressive, really, a show that was chancelled after 3 seasons has become such a phenomenom (do do do do do) and survived 40 years! YAY!
      sigpic

"I don't know how you can call yourself a scientist and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry" - Coombs
      "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" - Amanda Tapping
      My Livejournal my Tweets and my Tumblr

Comment

Hopefully it'll still be popular for another 40yrs! Alas, I havent seen The Doomsday Machine....or most of TOS for that matter...but I have seen 'The Trouble with Tribbles' and "The City on the Edge of Forever" and they are definately among the best Trek episodes ever.

Sheppard: "Y’know, we’ve been having these conversations for a couple of weeks now, and I don’t even know your name. You guys do have names, right? Let me guess...Steve?"
        Wraith: "I am your death. That is all you need to know."
        Sheppard: "I prefer Steve."

Comment

It seems like the TV show that never dies.

“It’s so American because in America we integrate people into one,” says NASA astronaut and Trek fan Mike Fincke of the show, adding that Roddenberry’s concept of people rising above their differences to explore space can be seen in the International Space Station (ISS). “Gene Roddenberry had a nice vision that I think we, on the space station, are encapsulating. Did he create that environment?...There’s all kinds of fun arguments that people can make.”

“They show the peaceful exploration of space, and that’s what we do here at NASA,” Fincke said of the “Star Trek: Enterprise” cast and crew."Science fiction, in general, has inspired not just astronauts but all humans by giving form to our dreams to explore."

“Star Trek won’t die because there is that interest,” Fincke says. “It touches a fundamental nerve in human beings, especially Americans, because we’re pioneers and explorers…all these things that are the good parts of our country, and Star Trek captures that in a glorious way and gives us a picture towards the future.”

http://www.space.com/entertainment/0...star_trek.html
          "You don't know half of it".
          Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
          (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Originally posted by Carl
            YAY FOR 40 YEARS OF MY FAVOURITE TELEVISION SERIES EVER!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TotsK5Q_GfM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efzU4lnKiCM - slightly more 'up-tempo' video.
            Both are good vids
            Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Working...
            X