No announcement yet.

Star Trek: The Original Series Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the remastered "The Naked Time" there is a scene that made me get my original non-remastered DVD to check something..

it is this, at the end:

Original: the timer has some mechanical spinning rolls. it's almost amusing.

Remastered: Digital display! wow! and they even included a more canon stardate indicator.

It reminds me of discussions that the look of TOS (1960's) is more old fashioned looking than the look of ENT (2000's).
    Maybe there have been a very trendy fashion in the 23rd century of a 60's (20th century) revival. Like today we have CD MP3 players that looks like radio sets from the 40's..
    When you skip 2 or 3 generations, there is always some part of fashion that comes back. So in star trek, it is at a bigger time scale...

Comment

Ooh, I like that change- thanks for sharing the pics!

Comment

Haha my old Biology teacher a couple years ago (he's pretty old, about 70 I think) showed us "Devil in the Dark" during class one day. Didn't really have to do with anything we were learning in class but it was a nice surprise!
        Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
        Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
        Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
        --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
          Haha my old Biology teacher a couple years ago (he's pretty old, about 70 I think) showed us "Devil in the Dark" during class one day. Didn't really have to do with anything we were learning in class but it was a nice surprise!
          Was it the original version or the Remastered?

Here are some selected comparison shots: Link
          sigpic

Comment

The original for sure, considering this was a few years ago (before they started remastering the epsiodes).

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
            Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
            Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
              The Devil in the Dark is such a classic episode. When I think of Star Trek, this episode always pops into my mind. I was so looking forward to seeing this again when I found out the BBC were going to re-run the entire series.

Not many of the modern Treks can hold a candle to this episode and it's one of my all-time favourites. If someone were to ask me "what is this Star Trek all about?" I would show them The Devil in the Dark as it describes perfectly what Star Trek is really all about, and I mean Star Trek as a whole - not just TOS, or any of its spin-offs.
              "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Yea really. I mean I love all those suspenseful, high-budget, complex, well acted episodes that you see in most of the spin-offs, but sometimes its just nice to sit down, watch a classic episode of the original Star Trek and remember what this show is all about.

Comment

The Devil in the Dark is such an amazingly fun episode. One of my absolute favourites as well, one that I watch over and over and over.

"I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"

Comment

Info on the TOS HD-DVDs from Trek movie

CBS has released some details for the upcoming 1st season of Star Trek: The Original Series digitally remastered for HD-DVD:
                    Disks: 10 (box)
                    Format: HD-DVD Combo (double sided w/ HD-DVD on one and standard DVD on other)
                    Sug. price: $199.00. [oh my]
                    Release Date: November 20, 2007
                    HD Features (include)
                    • picture-in-picture video commentaries
                    • in-depth tour of the starship Enterprise
                    • behind the scenes footage
                    TrekMovie.com will report more details later in the day after the HD-DVD panel
                    Ahem, "Oh my" just about says it. That is one hec of a horrifying price..... And the fact that they're double sided is just scary.....those things get ruined SO easily.

Comment

Haha "Oh my..." is exactly what I said when I saw that price. But then again, what do you expect with the next-gen stuff, they won't be in the mainstream for years and right now they're just trying to con people into buying something 'new.' I'll just stick to DVDs for a while.

Comment

The price has now been updated to $217.99.

Comment

When I bought my ST:TOS DVD's, it was a special collector's edition, the 3 seasons in a metal cylindrical box, immitating a star trek container. And that costed me 169 EUR (232 USD). in october 2005. So it means the remastered, HD version is not a so bad deal compared to the "simple" DVD release.

my set:

It was still cheaper than buying the individual yellow, blue, red seasons box set.

But now, my collector's box set costs 190 EUR (261 USD), so it increased!
                          However, the blue red yellow boxsets decreased to 44 EUR (60 USD).

And all the boxsets of the Next Generation, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise are now half the price they used to be!
                          I bought them high price, and I haven't even watched all the discs yet! It was for the sake of owning the complete star trek collection.

So I learned my lesson. I won't buy any new DVD (HD DVD) sets untill it's half price, which is bound to happen if we wait enough.

Comment

Y'know that is an absolutely ludicrous price tag for that HD box set. No doubt there'll be a few mugs out there who just have to be first in line to buy it.

I would love to see remastered TOS, but not at that price. I don't have any HD equipment anyway, so, no thanks. I'll keep my hard earned Quatloos for other DVD sets.

I have to say - WOW! That is a cool set you have there, Arga.
                            "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                              Y'know that is an absolutely ludicrous price tag for that HD box set. No doubt there'll be a few mugs out there who just have to be first in line to buy it.

I would love to see remastered TOS, but not at that price. I don't have any HD equipment anyway, so, no thanks. I'll keep my hard earned Quatloos for other DVD sets.

I have to say - WOW! That is a cool set you have there, Arga.
                              Horrifying isn't it. *sigh* Save it for the obsessives with money to burn.

My television isn't even capable of playing HD, I don't think (if it is it needs a box thing we haven't got). Not to mention that I don't have a player anyway. I don't really see the appeal in HD anyway- I mean when I went from VHS to regular DVD about four-ish years ago, on my well-below-average-quality TV, I thought it was as good as it could get, and I'm happy with the quality of regular DVD. Even on our second television (that's at least as old as I am) the regular DVD looks great as it is. No need to upgrade here.

Comment

when I think the first DVD I ever bought was Stargate the movie, and I didn't even have a DVD player.. I'm afraid the same thing will happen for HD if I don't control myself...

Comment

Working...
                                X