the Star Trek: Voyager Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Abandoning ship doesn't necessarily mean the ship is going to be destroyed. It just means it can no longer support the crew.
    But if the ship won't support the crew what are the chances of them getting the ship fixed or finding another vessel that could get them home. I guess there were ships that could have made the journey to the AQ but a big story point was that Federation tech was much more advanced than most in the DQ. So if I were in their position I would certainly be discouraged about ever getting home if I had to leave Voyager.

Comment

I love both Voyager and DS9, for different reasons.

I rather liked the cast. However, I understand why some people hate Neelix. You either love him or hate him. lol
      I didn't love him until the point where it was kind of understood that he irritated other crew members and there were little running jokes about it. The annoyance factor of Neelix contributed to great scenes like Tuvok's "I prefer not to hear the life history of my breakfast" and Janeway looking into a nebula to get out of drinking his horrible sort-of-like-coffee. (An episode that also had my favorite Neelix line, "you do not care about your crew and introduce them to the spectre of death at every opportunity.") And of course that scene where Tuvok imagines choking the life out of him when he's babbling on and on about something, which makes me laugh just thinking about it.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
        But if the ship won't support the crew what are the chances of them getting the ship fixed or finding another vessel that could get them home. I guess there were ships that could have made the journey to the AQ but a big story point was that Federation tech was much more advanced than most in the DQ. So if I were in their position I would certainly be discouraged about ever getting home if I had to leave Voyager.
        That's not the point. When the ship was being built, who could have known it'd be thrust to the Delta Quadrant? All Starfleet ships have escape pods just like ocean going vessels today have lifeboats. Whether it's a sinking boat or a starship with failing life support or some other catastraphy, there needs to be emergency vessels to abandon ship. Infact, this is exactly why the crew abandons ship. Captain Janeway explained that they'd lost what was it, nine decks? Life support was failing, the ship's hull looked like swiss cheese, the ship was coming apart at the seems. Everyone was better off in the escape pods which might very well have been in prestine condition. By the end of Part 2, the ship was so badly damaged, Janeway ordered the rest of her senior staff off the ship. I think she'd already realized that a kamikaze run may very well be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
          I didn't love him until the point where it was kind of understood that he irritated other crew members and there were little running jokes about it. The annoyance factor of Neelix contributed to great scenes like Tuvok's "I prefer not to hear the life history of my breakfast" and Janeway looking into a nebula to get out of drinking his horrible sort-of-like-coffee. (An episode that also had my favorite Neelix line, "you do not care about your crew and introduce them to the spectre of death at every opportunity.") And of course that scene where Tuvok imagines choking the life out of him when he's babbling on and on about something, which makes me laugh just thinking about it.
          I like Neelix. He's definitely the comic relief. I get a kick out of the way he tries Tuvok's patience. I think it's good for him; he can practice his Vulcan discipline.

As for all those examples of Neelix annoying the crew, they all come very early on in the show (seasons 1 and 2). I think once everyone gets used to Neelix they come to appreciate him. In the desparate situation the Voyager crew was in having someone who can always look on the bright side I think became a blessing. I can't remember what episode it was in but after another disappointment Neelix planned a party to cheer everyone up and Janeway said something like leave it to Neelix to always know how to make them feel better.

Comment

They grew beyond tolerating Neelix, he was their friend and confidant. However, ya know what they never got used to? His cooking. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
              As for all those examples of Neelix annoying the crew, they all come very early on in the show (seasons 1 and 2). I think once everyone gets used to Neelix they come to appreciate him.
              I agree, but I like that his annoyance factor wasn't just ignored by the characters. It made for a lot of great funny moments. Sometimes I think Kes might have been better-liked by the audience if she was ribbed on a little. Not that I disliked her, but I gather she was not a favorite in general.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                I agree, but I like that his annoyance factor wasn't just ignored by the characters. It made for a lot of great funny moments. Sometimes I think Kes might have been better-liked by the audience if she was ribbed on a little. Not that I disliked her, but I gather she was not a favorite in general.
                Well Kes was very young and really quite sweet. She always stood up for the Doctor and advocated for anyone that needed help. She actually reminds me a lot of my best friend, who is a nurse by the way. So I can't imagine anyone picking on her. I do see how teasing can be a sign of affection, but I'm not sure that would have worked with Kes. She certainly has more tact than Neelix. And I think the whole crew always felt very protective and parental with her, which I thought was a lovely and uniquie kind of relationship than what we normally see on ST.

Comment

Speaking of Kes, her goodbye to Janeway (The Gift) was probably the character's most emotionally charged scene from the whole show. Anyone agree, disagree?

Comment

I agree. Especially her goodbye with Janeway who said how much she'd miss her. Apparently Kate Mulgrew felt the same way.

Comment

I've read and seen interviews where the cast talk about how difficult it was to say goodbye to Jennifer Lein. Wasn't she only 19 years old when she signed onto the show? I've read that the writers intentionally kept Seven of Nine and Kes apart in "Scorpion, Part II" and "The Gift," because it was so upsetting for Lein. Ya know, the producers really could have handled this better. Would it have killed them to offer her the option to have a recurring role for when she was available to do an episode? How Kes would return to Ocampan form and be a recurring character while Voyager's always warping toward Earth would be a headache best left for the writers. Still, it's something Lein, the cast, and the audience would have welcomed.

Comment

I pretty much love everything about Voyager. Even the bits I thought were crushingly embarrassing I now think are delightfully cheesy and camp. It's a very colorful show and the humor is a constant which really sets it apart from the other Treks. It's adventurous rather than political (both are good, I'm just saying that's its bent). Mulgrew and Picardo are particularly larger than life and really played their characters like they enjoyed every minute and it shows.

Comment

Originally posted by teacake View Post
                          I pretty much love everything about Voyager. Even the bits I thought were crushingly embarrassing I now think are delightfully cheesy and camp. It's a very colorful show and the humor is a constant which really sets it apart from the other Treks. It's adventurous rather than political (both are good, I'm just saying that's its bent). Mulgrew and Picardo are particularly larger than life and really played their characters like they enjoyed every minute and it shows.
                          Great points. I think you're right that Voyager may take itself less seriously than other Treks. Hey, that's what I loved about Stargate too. I guess I enjoy my SciFi with a sense of humor.

Comment

I can't say I ever grew to *love* Neelix, but he did have his moments, it's true. One interesting thing, was that he did seem to have a different relationship with each crew member which was nice.
                            As for Kes, yes, that goodbye scene was very touching. I don't think they really developed Kes as much as they could have.
                            SEven of 9 made for some interesting stories but her outfits were clearly to attract male viewers not anything that would have made sense to a practical former Borg. Heels on board ship? Really?

Comment

I think they used Neelix quite well to bring out personality elements in the rest of the crew.

Heels.. well Janeway wore them too, as they needed Mulgrew to appear taller. Did B'Elanna wear them? Most Trek females have ridiculous heels on, you just don't always notice it.

Comment

Why there could not have been a male former Borg in a tight suit? I didn't really liked or dislike Seven. Why heels? That's really something that goes better with the dress uniform.
                                Last edited by Morgania; 27 October 2012, 02:51 PM.
                                sigpic
                                Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Working...
                                X