DS9 from the beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knightone
    I couldn't get used to Avery Brooks with hair and no gaotee. I've been a fan of his ever since "Spenser: For Hire". He was a childhood role-model for me. When DS9 started and he had hair, I was like WTF? He used to look so cool. Then when he went back to his old look in the later seassons of DS9, all was right in the world again.
    I reacted the same way. I saw the Season five episodes when they aired, they I went back to reruns to see some of the earlier seasons and was in shock, Sisko had hair!

Comment

The whole show got massively better when Sisko shaved his head, grew a beard, got promoted, and got the Defiant. Before that all that ever happened in terms of conflict was a Cardassian ship came, they either hailed it or locked a tractor beam on it, and managed to avoid fighting all the time (which is good for real life, but bad for a TV show) or the Maquis showed up, and they went out in the little runabouts to fight them. Then they found the Dominion, and the Defiant came, and it was glorious battle after glorious battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis87
        The whole show got massively better when Sisko shaved his head, grew a beard, got promoted, and got the Defiant. Before that all that ever happened in terms of conflict was a Cardassian ship came, they either hailed it or locked a tractor beam on it, and managed to avoid fighting all the time (which is good for real life, but bad for a TV show) or the Maquis showed up, and they went out in the little runabouts to fight them. Then they found the Dominion, and the Defiant came, and it was glorious battle after glorious battle.
        I have to say DS9 had the best space battles imo.

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
          I have to say DS9 had the best space battles imo.
          That's a bit of an understatement... They really were immense. Nothing i've seen in Trek has come close to that level of fleet action.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Indeed Anubis69. Even the flashback in DS9's premiere of the battle at wolf359 had more action than the entire episode of TNG's 'The Best of Both Worlds'.
            "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Initially i was gutted when someone said that you never saw Wolf 359. But after watching BoBW i thought how great it was the way they did it. Just the Enterprise coming across a graveyard of ships. Left it to your imagination as to how they were decimated. It sorta punched home how unbelievably powerful the Borg are/were. I don't know if special effects at the time could've done justice to the fact they were the greatest foe the Federation had ever seen.

Imagine that battle though. Personally, i imagine it like the battle of Sector 001 (First Contact if i remember right..) but with many more ships and just the Borg cube dominating every single one of them.

It's kind of like the same way in DS9, they didn't always show the action in S5-6, they just told of how the attacks went or showed the whole fleet together and you saw bit hanging off the Galaxy classes and ships with smoke plooms coming out of them. I kinda think it gave it an edge, proving how deadly the enemies were. Just my humble opinion anyway. I'm probably alone in these thoughts!

Comment

Hmmm...seems every DS9 thread I make moves onto the ships discussion
                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                love Torri

Comment

Yeah, I agree with you there Anubis69, sometimes it is better to leave things to the imagination. When I first watched the Best of Both Worlds, the graveyard of ships was quite a shocker. It had me thinking, how the hell are they going to win?

It was after watching the Emissary, I decided to watch TBOBW again, the space battle felt like, so empty. I mean, it was like a 1 v 1 between the Enterprise and the Borg cube. I suppose it could've been FX budget constraints, but there weren't any big fleet actions (that I can remember) in TNG, mostly ship to ship action.

Speaking of Galaxy class ships getting owned, there's been a few! Two I remember vividly were the Yamato (TNG: Contagion) and the Odyssey (DS9: The Jem'Hadar). Both incidents still give me goose bumps to this day. When the Yamato exploded, it was very graphic, you could see the internal structure appearing as the saucer section floated off to the side in flames. As for the Odyssey, well, when the Jem'Hadar rammed the Odyssey, the look on my face resembled look of the crew on the runabout. It was a complete surprise, it proved just how far the Dominion were prepared to go, to stop incursions into their territory.

Originally posted by Qasim
                  I know, that's cos they're so cool

Comment

DS9: The Sacrifice Of Angels.
                    best trek space battle hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                      Speaking of Galaxy class ships getting owned, there's been a few! Two I remember vividly were the Yamato (TNG: Contagion) and the Odyssey (DS9: The Jem'Hadar). Both incidents still give me goose bumps to this day. When the Yamato exploded, it was very graphic, you could see the internal structure appearing as the saucer section floated off to the side in flames. As for the Odyssey, well, when the Jem'Hadar rammed the Odyssey, the look on my face resembled look of the crew on the runabout. It was a complete surprise, it proved just how far the Dominion were prepared to go, to stop incursions into their territory.
                      I never saw the Yamato one, but the Odyssey, i know what you mean!!! I've never been that shocked by a TV show to this very day. It was in a way kind of terrifying that they would go to such extremes to prove a point. It made it worse that they were retreating too.....
                      Originally posted by Qasim
                      Eh.... sorry. I usually have some hand in that. Most Trek threads i visit seem to always get on to fleet action....

^WRT Morbo's statement: Indeed. A lot of fleet action like Chin'toka and "What you leave Behind" was reused footage. (The Galaxy class coming from the bottom of the screen to destroy the Galor with the 2 phasor beams jumps to mind) SoA really was one of the best episodes of sci-fi ever made.

Comment

The destruction of the Odyssey shocked the hell out of me. It was the writers meaning business in laying them down as the main enemy. I think a Dominion fighter crashes into the deflector dish and part of it breaks off and hits a nascel and the whole thing explodes.

Comment

Aye, as far as I can remember, it ricochets off the deflector dish, knocking a BIG chunk out of it, into the nacelle. Or did the Dominion fighter hit the saucer? I seem to have that picture in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                            Aye, as far as I can remember, it ricochets off the deflector dish, knocking a BIG chunk out of it, into the nacelle. Or did the Dominion fighter hit the saucer? I seem to have that picture in my mind.
                            Suffice as to say it caused a big assed explosion that satisfied the male need to see things blow up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Eire
                              Suffice as to say it caused a big assed explosion that satisfied the male need to see things blow up.
                              Indeed
                              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                              love Torri

Comment

Yeah, I was totally shocked when I saw that. It's like I was in a movie, and a close friend of mine died, and I was like "Nooooooooo!!!". I love Galaxy Class Starships, so that was really an effective way of introducing new, powerful enemies to hate.

As for the number of Galaxy Class ships that have been destroyed, I think it's because of the Enterprise. Remember how many Constitution Class ships got destroyed in TOS? I wonder if this curse will continue, and the next thing you'll see is a bunch of Soverign Class ships blowing up?

Comment

Working...
                                X