The Problem with Star Trek: Enterprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chevron 1
    Personally, I don;t think Enterprise is a bad show. In fact, I've followed it from day one. I think that the concept shows promise, and the cast is just as talented as any of their counterparts from earlier series. I just believe that some people behind the scenes have mishandled the product in some ways. Not only that, but they have to contend with not only other TV shows, admittedly including SG-1, but also their own history. .
    I agree. There's so much potential there that's yet to be developed.
    I'm very unhappy that UPN is showing it on Friday nights against SG-1, but UPN 25 in Cincinnati shows the program twice so I'll catch it the second time around on Sunday night. And, as Darren pointed out, Enterprise and SG-1 don't run first run episodes concurrently except for maybe one or two in January or February.
    Slainte
    "There are many forms of power, my dear. Some more subtle than others." Linea to Captain Carter, Prisoners, S2.

Comment

SciFi is already running the ST original series. Today (7/6) they're showing 8-hour blocks of it!? Unless there's something wrong with the schedulebot. I'm waiting for the DVDs in August. I have to save the DVR space for SG-1 and SGA.
      Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
      O'Neill: Who doesn't?
      - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
      - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
      once done, cannot be undone...
      brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

It is an 8 hour block. SciFi does one everyday. One day it will be SLIDERS all day, another Star Trek, so on.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
        [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

aside from a couple of the episodes, i dont like the original series. too old for me...not that i'm dating people who watched TOS, i'm just saying its not my cup of tea.

I do like enterprise, i just dont like some of the things they're doing with the show...i could care less about cannon *i never payed attention to the star trek universe anyway* so if they made sulu commander of enterprise i could care less *just keep trip in dammit!*

i really did lose interest in star trek...i like the next generation but thats about it...voyager was okay...but blah...

now if they had t'pol and trip playing a worthwhile game of pass the mustard...then sure...i'd be interested again.

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
          Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
          Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

i was never a big star trek fan, and enterprise appealed to me because it seemed less "trekkish," if that makes sense. it kind of eased me gently into the universe, and although i would never consider myself a trekkie i am more of a fan now than i was six months ago. enterprise is far from perfect, but i watch it for the characters, which i like, even though the plots are often lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by shinyredpants
              aside from a couple of the episodes, i dont like the original series. too old for me...
              Bah...kids these days!

I appreciate ST (all of it) for the cultural icon it is. I appreciate ST:TOS for the groundbreaking television that it was. It was on and off the air before I graced the planet with my presence, but I enjoyed it in syndication when I was a kid and can't wait for the new DVDs!
              Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
              O'Neill: Who doesn't?
              - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
              - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
              once done, cannot be undone...
              brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Not enough Hoshi.........I wished Linda Park had gotten a part in Stargate.....it would have rocked!!!!
                Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

Yea they really got to get Hoshi more involved in Star Trek: Enterprise! She is another beautiful woman.

Hoshi should have a guest role on Stargate Atlantis!!!!!
                  Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
                  - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
                  - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
                  Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
                  Mayboune: *shrugs*
                  - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

Comment

I lost interest in the whole time period Enterprise is set in. My first Trek experience was TNG, so from then on it was 24th century or bust. I don't think the crew melds together well either. The only one I like, and care about what happens to is Hoshi.

Comment

My asians of sci fi Love them all
                      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

DS9 is the only ST-show I really enjoyed.

Comment

Enterprise does have that catchy theme song though. That's a plus.

Comment

It was really good in season1 and season2, then they added some random melody and it just changed from cool to corny.

Comment

Yeah they tried to liven it up, and make it funkier, and they just ruined it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate Agent
                                This is something that should be discussed...

Why Star Trek, such a powerful science fiction franchise, is now suffering severely? Cancelation, Sloppy Storylines...

I have some thoughts on this:

1. It's Prequel: This severely limits the storylines because you can't do certain things because it would interfer with the other shows which are in the future compared to Enterprise.

2. No Chemistry: Even though most shows pick this up around the 3rd season, Enterprise is still not feeling like a team! To me I don't really care too much what happens to the crew as i did for the other Star Trek crews.

3. No One Liners: Every Star Trek has had it's one liners, from "Make it so" to "Engage." This is what made every Trek unique.

4. Lackluster Storylines: Most of the stories have been poorly done. Not to say there hasn't been good ones just not ones that are really standing out yet. TNG had early episodes like "Best of Both Worlds" and "Yesterday's Enterprise" that really put it on the map so to speak. Instead we get some stupid episode called "Doctor's Orders." Get rid of the Suliban too, what a stupid idea for an enemy.

5. No Cool Technology: Since Enterprise is a PREQUEL the tech people don't have free range in creating technology because they are limited by the technology that TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager have layed out.

These are only some of the problems Enterprise has to deal with if it gonna get a big fan base like the other Star Trek shows have. I hope it does however since I have been a Star Trek fan since 1987 (The TNG days) and hope the franchise goes on for a long time.
                                The problem is its retroactively destroying the continuity they've built up, which for a prequel is even worse, not small things but big things like the Borg, Ferengi and even the Klingons appearing. Personally, I would have made the Romulans the main bad guys leading up to the Earth/Romulan war.

I agree about the stupid story lines. The Ferengi show up, try to steal everything and sell the women into slavery and are caught, everybody sees them and Archer just lets them go to be forgotten about for 200 years?

I also agree about the technology. Also why does everyone else have advanced tech like tractor beams and shields, but Enterprise doesn't. Did they just sit around for a few centuries while we caught up?

Comment

Working...
                                X