Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stargate barbie
    as always, brent spiner played it well.
    Yeah, he really did nail the role of Data... such a good foil for everyone else in the show, and the source of some excellent humour (although some of the jokes in ST:INS seemed a little contrived?).

Archer: Lieutenant Mayweather tells me we'll be arriving at Kronos in about eighty hours. Any chance he'll be conscious by then?

Phlox: There's a chance he'll be conscious within the next ten minutes... just not a very good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Brigadier General Pants
      Yeah, he really did nail the role of Data... such a good foil for everyone else in the show, and the source of some excellent humour (although some of the jokes in ST:INS seemed a little contrived?).
      all part of the charm. although i do find it awfully dated now, but i haven't managed to watch it in quite a while, so maybe in a few years it'll be considered retro and classic like TOS.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
        all part of the charm. although i do find it awfully dated now, but i haven't managed to watch it in quite a while, so maybe in a few years it'll be considered retro and classic like TOS.
        Actually, while the effects look a bit dodgy, I'm still impressed by the set design, and all the console layouts. To me, they haven't dated at all. They were basically still using the same style all through VOY, and it still looked fresh.

Archer: Lieutenant Mayweather tells me we'll be arriving at Kronos in about eighty hours. Any chance he'll be conscious by then?

Phlox: There's a chance he'll be conscious within the next ten minutes... just not a very good one.

Comment

oh i don't mean the sets and sfx, i mean the show in general. the first few years in particular. they hadn't quite got the characters right, except picard who was always fantastic. he and data saved the show early on, as they were the most interesting characters. data's character development had the most potential early on. apparently they had only considered worf to be a very minor role in the early days until they discovered how great he could be.

the acting from some of them had to be toned up, they hadn't really gotten their characters down, etc. but even the later episodes are a tad dated now. not only in the visual sense, just in general.

perhaps i've just seen too many reruns.

Comment

They were re-imagining a series completely, so I suppose some teething problems in terms of characterisation was to be expected. But yeah, I felt the first year at least was a bit of a write-off.

Comment

Yeah but you can almost see the advancement of computer tech in that show. In the early days, they used special effects sparingly as it costed a lot. By the end they were not only a lot better, they were more abundant. And in VOY they did it all the time. TNG was started in 1988, soon processing power inceased to the point where the effect were a lot cheaper. The first season of TNG had some pretty cheesy special effects, but by the end it was great.
              The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by helio9
                Yeah but you can almost see the advancement of computer tech in that show. In the early days, they used special effects sparingly as it costed a lot. By the end they were not only a lot better, they were more abundant. And in VOY they did it all the time. TNG was started in 1988, soon processing power inceased to the point where the effect were a lot cheaper. The first season of TNG had some pretty cheesy special effects, but by the end it was great.
                Remember, CGI wasn't used in TNG until the last couple of seasons, and then sparingly, according to the documentaries. It's even used fairly sparingly in early DS9 (except for the wormhole stock shots and a few of Odo's crappy early shapechanges).

The reason for the improved effects in TNG as time went by, was that they adjusted the way they did the optical (non-digital) effects. They just got better at it. So from the beginning in '87, until the last season in '94, we saw a real leap in quality.

Comment

Nemesis was more for the non-fans of Trek. Written by John Logan who did the script for Bats and Gladiator, they knew they had a 50/50 chance of Nemesis doing well. Continuity was very poor. Any fan of Trek knows the Romulans are better adversaries than Nemesis portrayed them.
                  The music was "borrowed" from every other Star Trek movie. There was no music actually written for Nemesis so to speak. It was bits and pieces cut and pasted and remixed to make a working soundtrack. There was only a few scenes that utilized "in between" music as well, for transitions.
                  The actual movie was not bad per se, but when you get into the universe that is Trek and come up with Nemesis you wind up getting exactly what the fans got with Enterprise's season finale, a big resounding thud on the screen.
                  All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                  Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by skritsys
                    Nemesis was more for the non-fans of Trek. Written by John Logan who did the script for Bats and Gladiator, they knew they had a 50/50 chance of Nemesis doing well. Continuity was very poor. Any fan of Trek knows the Romulans are better adversaries than Nemesis portrayed them.
                    The music was "borrowed" from every other Star Trek movie. There was no music actually written for Nemesis so to speak. It was bits and pieces cut and pasted and remixed to make a working soundtrack. There was only a few scenes that utilized "in between" music as well, for transitions.
                    The actual movie was not bad per se, but when you get into the universe that is Trek and come up with Nemesis you wind up getting exactly what the fans got with Enterprise's season finale, a big resounding thud on the screen.
                    It wasn't a bad sci-fi movie. It just wasn't a very good Trek movie.

Comment

Two words that reflect Nemesis: Box Office, or DVD Sales.
                      All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                      Pay it forward

Comment

Working...
                      X