No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Night, I watched "Call to Arms" (aka the Season 5 finale). It was pretty good, today I'm going to watch a few episodes from the beginning of Season 6. I'm glad I own the entire series on DVD.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
      Last Night, I watched "Call to Arms" (aka the Season 5 finale). It was pretty good, today I'm going to watch a few episodes from the beginning of Season 6. I'm glad I own the entire series on DVD.
      GRRRRRRRRRR DVD envy here

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
        Great episode, as is the first episode of season 6 (A Time to Stand) that continues the great storyline arc of DuKat and the Dominion re-taking DS9 or should I say Terok Nor.
        Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
        GRRRRRRRRRR DVD envy here
        LOLOL, fortunetly I own the entire Trek collection on DVD. I never get tired of watching Star Trek (especially DS9) and Stargate on DVD, those box sets get the most use out of all my DVD's.

Comment

I have the complete series of DS9 on DVD, but not quite *cough* in DVD format, for now anyway. However, I won't be a sinner for much longer because I'm going to start purchasing the slimline versions of DS9 and TNG one season at a time. I'd been holding off buying DS9 until it got the same packaging treatment as TNG. I didn't fancy selling off one of my kidneys to help meet the cost of buying a Trek series. Not even DS9 would make me go to that extreme.
          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
            I have the complete series of DS9 on DVD, but not quite *cough* in DVD format, for now anyway. However, I won't be a sinner for much longer because I'm going to start purchasing the slimline versions of DS9 and TNG one season at a time. I'd been holding off buying DS9 until it got the same packaging treatment as TNG. I didn't fancy selling off one of my kidneys to help meet the cost of buying a Trek series. Not even DS9 would make me go to that extreme.
            I own 1-8 seasons of SG1 on dvd. my next project is the ds9 series! The reason I haven't is the same as missster. freeman's, the cost.
            i would love to be able to take out my favorite episodes and watch them over and over again. (fantasizing about hours of ds9 enjoyment )

Comment

I own 1-8 seasons of SG1 on dvd. my next project is the ds9 series! The reason I haven't is the same as missster. freeman's, the cost.
              i would love to be able to take out my favorite episodes and watch them over and over again. (fantasizing about hours of ds9 enjoyment )
              Same here- I'm still working on collecting SG-1, missing seasons 3,5,7 and 8. Might start on DS9 next year, will probably go backwards from season seven.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                Same here- I'm still working on collecting SG-1, missing seasons 3,5,7 and 8. Might start on DS9 next year, will probably go backwards from season seven.
                My DS9 and Stargate DVD box sets (by far) get the most usage of all my DVD's. I just never get tired of re-watching either of those shows. You just find so many different nuainces and layers to storylines that you either forgot about or weren't aware of when you orginally watched it.

I wonder if they will make Star Trek and Stargate available in HD-DVD or Blu-Ray DVD?. I would gladly re-invest in any HD or Blu-Ray DS9 or SG DVD's.

Comment

DS9 season 1: episode #16
                  If Wishes Were Horses:
                  In a rather silly "sci-fi" premise, the station is rocked by troubles arising from the station inhabitants' own imaginations. The mystery conjures three fantasy characters out of thin air, and supplies them with a few light comic moments before revealing them as alien creatures with unknown motives or intentions.

The three fantasy characters: (1) Buck Bokai (Keone Young), a baseball player from the 21st century who follows Jake home from a holosuite simulation; (2) Rumpelstiltskin (Michael John Anderson), who terrorizes Chief O'Brien; and (3) Julian's fantasy version of Dax, who drools all over the young doctor. This episode seemingly hopes to earn points for being weird (including a scene featuring a snow storm on the promenade), but the weirdness falls flat under the routine execution. No one seems genuinely concerned about the strange happenings on the station, not even when they escalate to the point of impending apocalypse in the form of a spatial anomaly which threatens to destroy DS9 and the entire Bajoran system along with it. The entire final act drowns in a staggering quantity of forgettable technobabble, and the boring jeopardy premise is solved far too quickly when Sisko realizes the threat can be eradicated if the crew can simply control its collective imagination. A few redeeming laughs and a final dialog scene between Sisko and the Bokai alien save some face. A rather humdrum episode overall.
                  The USS Defiant Rocks!
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
                    DS9 season 1: episode #16
                    If Wishes Were Horses:
                    In a rather silly "sci-fi" premise, the station is rocked by troubles arising from the station inhabitants' own imaginations. The mystery conjures three fantasy characters out of thin air, and supplies them with a few light comic moments before revealing them as alien creatures with unknown motives or intentions.

The three fantasy characters: (1) Buck Bokai (Keone Young), a baseball player from the 21st century who follows Jake home from a holosuite simulation; (2) Rumpelstiltskin (Michael John Anderson), who terrorizes Chief O'Brien; and (3) Julian's fantasy version of Dax, who drools all over the young doctor. This episode seemingly hopes to earn points for being weird (including a scene featuring a snow storm on the promenade), but the weirdness falls flat under the routine execution. No one seems genuinely concerned about the strange happenings on the station, not even when they escalate to the point of impending apocalypse in the form of a spatial anomaly which threatens to destroy DS9 and the entire Bajoran system along with it. The entire final act drowns in a staggering quantity of forgettable technobabble, and the boring jeopardy premise is solved far too quickly when Sisko realizes the threat can be eradicated if the crew can simply control its collective imagination. A few redeeming laughs and a final dialog scene between Sisko and the Bokai alien save some face. A rather humdrum episode overall.
                    This episode proved that every series can have a simply silly episode in it and still not suffer as a series overall. I found this one to be more unbelievable than expected (yes even scifi can be too far out ) and totally lacking in a point. I tend to expect all episodes to have a point even if the point is to reveal some small fact about a major or even secondary character. This one had none!

Comment

This episode proved that every series can have a simply silly episode in it and still not suffer as a series overall. I found this one to be more unbelievable than expected (yes even scifi can be too far out ) and totally lacking in a point. I tend to expect all episodes to have a point even if the point is to reveal some small fact about a major or even secondary character. This one had none!
                      I wholeheartedly concur. Crew-members' fantasies come to life - some silly and harmless, some deadly. Of course it turns out to be a meddling alien.

Though somewhat darker than most wish-fulfillment episodes, this is an ongoing cliche on Trek, a la "Shore Leave," "The Naked Time," "The Naked Now," "Phantasms," etc. etc. We didn't learn anything particularly compelling about anyone in this episode, other than that some people take their series bible backgrounds too literally. Was that Leprechaun creepy or what.

I loved this little give and take between Quark and Odo:

Quark: "Family entertainment. That's the future, Odo. There's a fortune to be made. Little Holocreatures running around. Rides and games for the kiddies, Ferengi standing in every doorway selling... useless souvenirs."
                      Odo: "You're going to replace all of your sexual holoprograms with family entertainment?"
                      Quark: "Oh, no! No! I'm expanding! I'm negotiating to lease the space next door so I can use the same hologenerators."
                      Odo: "You're still disgusting." (Odo walks off)
                      Quark: "Till the day I die." (as Quark says with a big sh*t eating grin on his face )

Here is a little background information on this rather silly episode.....

The baseball which Sisko keeps on his desk for the remainder of the series is a memento of this episode, given to him by the alien who impersonated Bokai.

Rumpelstiltskin was originally written as a Leprechaun, but was changed when Colm Meaney objected, claiming that this was an offensive stereotype against Irish people.

The Gunji jackdaw which appears on the promenade was played by an emu. It is the only appearance by an emu on Star Trek.

Odo's disgust over "intermingling" with a holographic shape-shifter foreshadows his tumultuous relationship with the Great Link and, specifically, the Female Changeling.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                        I loved this little give and take between Quark and Odo:

Quark: "Family entertainment. That's the future, Odo. There's a fortune to be made. Little Holocreatures running around. Rides and games for the kiddies, Ferengi standing in every doorway selling... useless souvenirs."
                        Odo: "You're going to replace all of your sexual holoprograms with family entertainment?"
                        Quark: "Oh, no! No! I'm expanding! I'm negotiating to lease the space next door so I can use the same hologenerators."
                        Odo: "You're still disgusting." (Odo walks off)
                        Quark: "Till the day I die." (as Quark says with a big sh*t eating grin on his face )

Here is a little background information on this rather silly episode.....

The baseball which Sisko keeps on his desk for the remainder of the series is a memento of this episode, given to him by the alien who impersonated Bokai.

Rumpelstiltskin was originally written as a Leprechaun, but was changed when Colm Meaney objected, claiming that this was an offensive stereotype against Irish people.

The Gunji jackdaw which appears on the promenade was played by an emu. It is the only appearance by an emu on Star Trek.

Odo's disgust over "intermingling" with a holographic shape-shifter foreshadows his tumultuous relationship with the Great Link and, specifically, the Female Changeling.
                        I never "caught" the baseball bit. I, too, loved the bit between Odo and Quark. Their interactions are always some of the most entertaining in any episode. I find their relationship to be highly amusing with poignant moments as well. In the ascent (which is essentially a two-person episode), odo and quark have to work together to survive. Despite odo being injured, Quark is reluctant to leave odo behind. He finally does and manages to rescue them both. I also enjoy that Quark was written as a "loveable scoundrel". He is crooked, greedy, wouldn't tell the truth if it bit him on the a##, but overall he actually has a heart. he tries to hide it, but we all know it is there.

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
                          DS9 season 1: episode #15
                          Progress:
                          In an return to the core of the series' outlook, Kira is ordered to see to the evacuation of an elderly Bajoran farmer named Mullibok (Brian Keith) from a Bajoran moon that is set to be used in a power extraction project in the coming months. The problem is Mullibok has no intentions of leaving; he's convinced that he is destined to die where he has lived his whole life.

"Progress" is a wonderful sleeper episode that gets to the heart of larger issues using small-scaled human drama. Like "Past Prologue," this episode excels by placing Kira in the middle of tough problems with shades of grey. The interesting issue here is how the provisional government assigns Kira to a job she really doesn't feel she can carry out without betraying part of herself. Kira can identify with Mullibok's plight: a loner facing impossible odds, similar to the odds of the Bajorans freeing themselves from the Cardassian oppression. Keith is brilliant as Mullibok, he and Nana Visitor work well together. What really stands out here is a poignant scene between Sisko and Kira that simultaneously highlights the show's intriguing theme (that of Kira now being on "the other side" of an issue she sympathizes with) while also bringing the two characters closer together - with what may be a pivotal moment of understanding in their relationship. The lightweight B-story involving Jake and Nog's attempts to capitalize on a business opportunity is semi-entertaining but hardly relevant. B-story aside, this episode was quite good.
                          Great analysis as always!
                          I too loved the interaction in this episode between Mullibok and Kira and Kira and sisko. How often do we begin as outsiders then find ourselves to be an "insider" after all? It highlighted the adjustment of striving for a goal (Bajoran rule of Bajor) and then not knowing what to do (actually rule Bajor) once the goal is achieved.
                          The B-story was fun as well as an insight into how Jake and Nog are adjusting their friendship to their respective cultures. Each seems to learn from the other. It is one step in a relationship that sends Nog to Starfleet Academy and Jake into a non-military career. I don't think either would have travelled their respective roads without their friendship as the beginning of the journey. Overall an excellent episode.

Comment

I never "caught" the baseball bit. I, too, loved the bit between Odo and Quark. Their interactions are always some of the most entertaining in any episode. I find their relationship to be highly amusing with poignant moments as well. In the ascent (which is essentially a two-person episode), odo and quark have to work together to survive. Despite odo being injured, Quark is reluctant to leave odo behind. He finally does and manages to rescue them both. I also enjoy that Quark was written as a "loveable scoundrel". He is crooked, greedy, wouldn't tell the truth if it bit him on the a##, but overall he actually has a heart. he tries to hide it, but we all know it is there.
                            The Ascent is one of my favorite episodes. I always enjoy watching Quark and Odo banter back and forth with each other. - In Ascent we saw there relationship change, you could see, really for the first time, they both cared for each other no matter how nasty there arguing was. Odo, who was human at the time thanks to the Founders, had never had to depend on anyone and being put into a situation where his life was put into Quarks hands showed a side of Odo we had never seen at that point. That last scene in the infirmary when they laughingly re-declared there hatred for each other made me laugh out loud.

I remember reading how hard it was for both actors to film this episode. They shot those outdooor scenes in the Sierra Mountains near Lake Tahoe in full make-up at an elevation of 7000'.
                            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

i always found it interesting that Odo and Quark developed a more human-like friendship AFTER starfleet took over the station. Under the cardassians their hatred seemed complete. Under sisko, they began to (dare I say it) become more human and viewed themselves more as sparring partners than enemies. Starfleet seemed to be able to show other species how to co-operate and peacefully co-exist. That is something definitely lacking in the cardassian (and the dominion) empire.

Comment

i always found it interesting that Odo and Quark developed a more human-like friendship AFTER starfleet took over the station. Under the cardassians their hatred seemed complete. Under sisko, they began to (dare I say it) become more human and viewed themselves more as sparring partners than enemies. Starfleet seemed to be able to show other species how to co-operate and peacefully co-exist. That is something definitely lacking in the cardassian (and the dominion) empire.
                                We only got a very small glimpse of what life was on Terok Nor throughout the entire series. I do remember Quark talking about the differences between Sisko/Federation and DuKat/Cardassia running the station. - And how he had more freedom under Cardassian rule to exploit and continue with illegal activities as long as DuKat got his cut. Odo didn't have the freedom to scrutinize Quarks activities that he had with Sisko at the helm.

I loved the season 6 episode The Sound of Her Voice where Kira and Odo were on a one month anniversary date that Quark talked Odo into setting up so he could do an illegal trade. Well we find out that Odo is fully aware this and when Kira calls him on it, he admits some affection for Quark and also the fact that he has let Quark get away with some illegal stuff in the past while picking his battles carefully. Then at the end, Quark finds out that Odo hasn't been as in the dark about past activities as he believed. To which he finds a whole new respect for Odo.

Comment

Working...
                                X