No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw, back to Emissary, more of a production issue really. Did anyone think in hindsight how awfully fake it looks when the Cardassian ship attacks the station? I understand at the time the budget for Emissary was massive. Some of the stuff in the latter seasons of DS9 with regards to space battles was great. It's amazing how many leaps and bounds they came on in such a short space of time. I also only think that pure CGI was only introduced to Star Trek for space stuff in Voyager Season 5. While I think it worked well in space, for planetary scenes in Enterprise I think the CGI looked terrible. Particularly the big address that Archer was giving in TATV. I think it was actually better when they used models of cities for planets like Bajor, Carassia, Romulus etc. instead of the CGI they used in Ent.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase
      I did forget that the Defiant had a Romulan cloak (have'nt seen any DS9 episodes past season II since they were originally aired). I am watching season III on DVD right now.

??? If you're watching season 3, the very first episode of that season (the same episode that introduces the Defiant) it mentions that the Romulans are the ones who gave them the cloaking device. In fact, there was a Romulan represnetative aboard Defiant for her maiden voyage (in search of the Founders). That's a pretty big detail to miss.

Comment

Originally posted by knightone
        ??? If you're watching season 3, the very first episode of that season (the same episode that introduces the Defiant) it mentions that the Romulans are the ones who gave them the cloaking device. In fact, there was a Romulan represnetative aboard Defiant for her maiden voyage (in search of the Founders). That's a pretty big detail to miss.

I just gave him season III day before yesterday and he said that he still had 3 or 4 more episodes of season II left to watch, so I doubt he has actually started season III yet.
        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
        Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Eire
          Btw, back to Emissary, more of a production issue really. Did anyone think in hindsight how awfully fake it looks when the Cardassian ship attacks the station? I understand at the time the budget for Emissary was massive. Some of the stuff in the latter seasons of DS9 with regards to space battles was great. It's amazing how many leaps and bounds they came on in such a short space of time. I also only think that pure CGI was only introduced to Star Trek for space stuff in Voyager Season 5. While I think it worked well in space, for planetary scenes in Enterprise I think the CGI looked terrible. Particularly the big address that Archer was giving in TATV. I think it was actually better when they used models of cities for planets like Bajor, Carassia, Romulus etc. instead of the CGI they used in Ent.
          The special effects were kind of cheesy those first few seasons of DS9 (alot like they were on TNG). Like you mentioned Wolf, they did improve alot by the time the series was ending. But even in the last season some of those scenes where they showed multiple ships headed for battle against the Dominion, the animated graphics were pretty lousy compared to what they can do now. It still did'nt take away from the show what so ever.

I remeber reading a few years back that DS9 and especially TNG were and still are the most expensive TV series per episode to ever be produced. They were worth every penny!.
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by knightone

I spoke to soon, Brother Fifth was right he just loaned me his season III DVD set. After having my memory refreshed I do remember the Defiant having the Romulan cloak,

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Eire
              I agree with you and Fifth, the special effects were blocky and kind of primitive compared to what we see today. But it was not without its charm either. They did well with the special effects if just one or a few ships were involved, but when they started getting into the Dominion war were we had those awesome fleet battles the special effects showed its limitations.

I also agree with you about some of the special effects on Enterprise being crappy considering that they had much better CGI technology to work with compared to DS9 or TNG. The budget they had to produce Enterprise was alot smaller than what they had for DS9, TNG and even Voyager, and boy did it show!.

Comment

[QUOTE=Starbase some of the special effects on Enterprise were crappy considering that they had much better CGI technology to work with compared to DS9 or TNG. The budget they had to produce Enterprise was alot smaller than what they had for DS9, TNG and even Voyager, and boy did it show!.[/QUOTE]

They did seem to cheap out on Enterprise as far as special effects go. I still give major props for the whole Xinidi story arc they had, otherwise it was a crap fest.
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Ok, let's finish up season I episode discussion. I will list a few of my favorite season I episodes, feel free to add to the list if there are any you would like to discuss.

'Q-Less'....This was Q's introduction to DS9. Vash (Picards old fling, sort of) ends up on DS9 trying to escape from Q. Q in the meantime wants Vash back no matter what. Do you think Q wanted Vash so bad because he knew that she and Picard had something, jealous Q?. Quark and Vash have some good give and take with each other while Quark arranges an auction for her.

'Battle Lines'....This was one of my favorite season I episodes. Sisko and Kira are stuck on a planet were two side are in ages old battle against each other but cannot kill each other because they just come back to life. Great stuff.

'The Story Teller'....A very strange fantasy type episode where Rumpelstiltskin comes to life after O'Brien reads the stroy to his daughter.

'The Foresaken'....Lwaxana arrives on DS9 as an ambassdor and takes a liking to Odo, much to Odo's chagrin (great and funny stuff). Also a computer virus reaps havoc on the stations computers, making things go haywire all over the station.
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                    'The Foresaken'....Lwaxana arrives on DS9 as an ambassdor and takes a liking to Odo, much to Odo's chagrin (great and funny stuff). Also a computer virus reaps havoc on the stations computers, making things go haywire all over the station.
                    Thanks T5R for reminding me about Lwaxana, Majel really got her teeth into that part didn't she!!!
                    sigpic
                    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova
                      Thanks T5R for reminding me about Lwaxana, Majel really got her teeth into that part didn't she!!!
                      LOL....My pleasure CI!. Lwaxana gets a bad rap from alot of Star Trek fans, but I really enjoyed her episodes on TNG and especially DS9!. I especially liked the episode 'The Foresaken' simply because she was so relentless in her persuit of Odo. Seeing Odo embarrassed was priceless, plus it was a good episode overall.

I bet Majel had fun with all the Lwaxana episodes.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                        Ok, let's finish up season I episode discussion. I will list a few of my favorite season I episodes, feel free to add to the list if there are any you would like to discuss.

'Battle Lines'....This was one of my favorite season I episodes. Sisko and Kira are stuck on a planet were two side are in ages old battle against each other but cannot kill each other because they just come back to life. Great stuff.

'The Story Teller'....A very strange fantasy type episode where Rumpelstiltskin comes to life after O'Brien reads the stroy to his daughter.
                        Agreed, these are two of my favorites from Season 1.

Comment

'If Wishes were horses.." is the one with Rumplestiltskin. 'Storyteller' is the one where O'Brien goes to some village on Bajor that gets attacked by a mysterious creature from the sky and takes on the role of Sera the storyteller.

My favourites are:
                          Captive Persuit - A heartwarming episode, you just can't help but like Tosc. The first episode where we ever meet anything from the other side of the wormhole. A nice standalone episode with a nice Prime Directive testing dilemma.

The Nagus - First time we ever meet the Grand Nagus and Maihar'du. An interesting and first insight into the real makeup of Ferengi society and its workings. Quark being Nagus for a day = good laughs.

Battle Lines - An interesting plot and a nice bit of moralising on forgiveness and hatred? The interaction between Kira and the Kai was interesting and gave a nice bit of background and insight into Kira's character. Also a strong ending which shook things up a bit in opening the position of Kai and everything wasn't just nicely wrapped up but left open ended. Does anyone ever remember that Kai Opaka is still there by the end of Season 7? Ever wonder if they're all sitting around singing Kumbaya now?

Dramitas Personae - Love this episode. Like the idea, like the action and enjoyed the funny persona's adapted by the crew. Particularly O'Brien and Sisko. I also liked the idea of Odo as the man between and the clever way he manipulated the doctor.

Duet - Probably the best episode of the season for me. I thought the guest star who played the Cardassian dictator put in a powerful and emotion envoking performance. It was also nice to see a remorseful Cardassian and I think the episode had a strong message of facing up to atrocities and trying to move on. The murder at the end sets an ominous mood which will be carried into the next episode and the start of next season.

Comment

Is the one with Rumplestiltskin the one where two other characters (including that baseball player) came to life as well? If it was rumplestiltskin was really.... really creepy!

Captive Persuit - It was alright, one of the few i can remember about S1. It was great to see how far Chief O'Brien was willing to go to give him another chance. Also got to see Sisko's tendency to "let things slide" when he agrees. That's if i remember right

Q-less - Again, it was an alright episode. It had it's moments but IMHO it doesn't quite match up to TNG episodes with Q in them. But the best bit by far was the old school fight Q conjured (for lack of a better word) up and Sisko hit him. "You hit me! Picard never hit me!!"

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
                              Is the one with Rumplestiltskin the one where two other characters (including that baseball player) came to life as well? If it was rumplestiltskin was really.... really creepy!
                              'If Wishes Were Horses', that's it yeah. The baseball player is Buck Bokai. He doesn't exist, he's from the fictional future but well in DS9's past. I actually found the idea of baseball being dead quite funny. We see in 'Paradise' that football still exists. It's actually quite plausible!

Captive Persuit - It was alright, one of the few i can remember about S1. It was great to see how far Chief O'Brien was willing to go to give him another chance. Also got to see Sisko's tendency to "let things slide" when he agrees. That's if i remember right
                              O'Brien broke the rules quite a few times over the years. But perhaps that's fitting for him. He is a veteran non-commission officer and can't really have his career stunted by blotches on his record. He's already as far as he could go.

Q-less - Again, it was an alright episode. It had it's moments but IMHO it doesn't quite match up to TNG episodes with Q in them. But the best bit by far was the old school fight Q conjured (for lack of a better word) up and Sisko hit him. "You hit me! Picard never hit me!!"
                              In my opinion the worst Q episode in the entire franchise. Very much Q for the sake of Q. He was even totally perhiperal in the episode. This was very much the writers being afraid to let the show go off on it's own. Not an awful episode by any means but pretty average. Well in my opinion.

Comment

^for the most part i agree. Come to think of it, what was the reason Q was supposed to be there? To get Vash back to the Gamma Quadrant? That it?! Everyone thought he was playing tricks or something and it turned out it was...... ? Something wrong with the station wasn't it?

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Working...
                                X