• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS9 Season IV Episode Discussion
    Episode #85 Accession

Brief Synopsis:
    Spoiler:
    A Bajoran ship emerges from the wormhole after disappearing into it some 300 years earlier and being suspended in time by the wormhole aliens. The pilot of the ship, a Bajoran man named Akorem Laan (Richard Libertini), wakes up in DS9's infirmary with a new purpose in life--his encounter with the Prophets leads him to believe he is the Emissary to the Bajoran people.

With the assurances that the changes would be accepted by the Bajoran populace, Sisko relinquishes his title of Emissary to Akorem, who, unlike Sisko, has the time and dedication needed to carry out the duties of a Bajoran religious icon. Starfleet has, after all, always wanted Sisko to distance himself from the religious implications his post has demanded of him.

Unfortunately, Akorem's new agenda--along with the support of a fundamentalist Vedek named Porta (Robert Symonds)--includes the return of an abandoned Bajoran caste system known as the d'jarras. Before the Cardassian Occupation, the d'jarras would dictate the role of Bajorans based on their family titles. Akorem believes he was spared the Occupation so that he could return this caste system to heal Bajor. Such caste-based discrimination would not be permitted by the Federation, and if Akorem were to successfully bring this back to Bajoran society, Sisko is certain Bajor's admittance into the Federation would be rejected.

"Accession" is a show that has a lot to say about Bajor's religious side and where Sisko stands in the eyes of the Bajoran people. It's a story with numerous messages which sometimes prove difficult to discern, and with a number of subtexts that a viewer may or may not see. It has dialogue, particularly near the end, which is open to a great deal of interpretation.

This is very good in some important ways. It's fresh and provocative, and it treats the audience with a respect for their intelligence. It's also a sort of throwback to the "old-school DS9"--that being analysis of religious, intra-political Bajoran/Federation issues which were the primary focus of seasons one and two; rather than the action-centered, inter-political Federation/Dominion and Federation/Klingon issues common to seasons three and four.

The show is thoroughly riveting for its first four acts. It effectively sets up an uneasy situation and foreshadows the consequences of changing political administrations where the incoming and outgoing parties have two distinctly different views. Everything surrounding this set-up feels right, from Kai Winn supporting Akorem's radical initiative, to the powerful early scene where Akorem gives his promenade speech while a subtle trace of concern develops on Sisko's face as he listens to what is being said. Even Kira, whose faith couldn't be much more devoted, obviously has second thoughts about where Akorem is bound to take Bajor with his reforms. This clash of old beliefs and new world culminates with an incident where Vedek Porta kills another Bajoran simply because of the man's "unclean" d'jarra--intolerable murder justified by Porta's religious extremism. This, in combination with Sisko's vision where Kai Opaka (Camille Saviola) appears to offer ambiguous words hiding apparent advice, finally makes Sisko realize that the d'jarras are not going to do anything but erase all the progress he has worked for. He decides he must ensure the d'jarras are not re-instituted.

The story's conclusion, however, does not feel quite right. Sisko doesn't want to challenge Akorem's claim, as that would divide Bajor and cause chaos. Instead, Sisko and Akorem go into the wormhole to ask the Prophets who is really the Emissary, and if they intended Akorem to bring the d'jarras back. The wormhole aliens answer the question with a variety of intriguing but ultimately incomprehensible riddles (it boils down to "no"), and they are able to send Akorem back to the century he came from.

This is simply too easy. It's evident the wormhole aliens have no clue or care about Bajoran politics or religion. Yet, with a convoluted explanation, they are able to convince Akorem that he was making a false presumption that really had no basis, while simultaneously telling Sisko that he is the real Emissary since he taught them the meaning of linear time. It took me a while to put my finger on why I didn't find this completely satisfying, but I think it's because the aliens' answer seems too arbitrary. Instead of working the problem at hand, the writers use this device to simply delete the problem to a point where one would almost never know it existed in the first place. Oh those Prophets are so complicated. lolol At least we get to see Sisko come to terms with his place in the universe.

Also, let's not forget the B-story involving Keiko O'Brien's return to the station. This is absolutely top-notch B-story material, featuring a great performance (marked by some moments of subtle hilarity) by Colm Meaney as the everyday family man finally getting his family back (soon to be a bigger family with the announcement that Keiko is pregnant). The humor surrounding his new dilemma--that he has to get home in a hurry every night and not drink or play darts with Julian--is a load of fun. This has to be one of the best B-stories of the year. I give this very good episode a solid
    8.5 rating.
    The USS Defiant Rocks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
      Episode #85 Accession

Brief Synopsis:
      Spoiler:
      A Bajoran ship emerges from the wormhole after disappearing into it some 300 years earlier and being suspended in time by the wormhole aliens. The pilot of the ship, a Bajoran man named Akorem Laan (Richard Libertini), wakes up in DS9's infirmary with a new purpose in life--his encounter with the Prophets leads him to believe he is the Emissary to the Bajoran people.

With the assurances that the changes would be accepted by the Bajoran populace, Sisko relinquishes his title of Emissary to Akorem, who, unlike Sisko, has the time and dedication needed to carry out the duties of a Bajoran religious icon. Starfleet has, after all, always wanted Sisko to distance himself from the religious implications his post has demanded of him.

Unfortunately, Akorem's new agenda--along with the support of a fundamentalist Vedek named Porta (Robert Symonds)--includes the return of an abandoned Bajoran caste system known as the d'jarras. Before the Cardassian Occupation, the d'jarras would dictate the role of Bajorans based on their family titles. Akorem believes he was spared the Occupation so that he could return this caste system to heal Bajor. Such caste-based discrimination would not be permitted by the Federation, and if Akorem were to successfully bring this back to Bajoran society, Sisko is certain Bajor's admittance into the Federation would be rejected.

"Accession" is a show that has a lot to say about Bajor's religious side and where Sisko stands in the eyes of the Bajoran people. It's a story with numerous messages which sometimes prove difficult to discern, and with a number of subtexts that a viewer may or may not see. It has dialogue, particularly near the end, which is open to a great deal of interpretation.

This is very good in some important ways. It's fresh and provocative, and it treats the audience with a respect for their intelligence. It's also a sort of throwback to the "old-school DS9"--that being analysis of religious, intra-political Bajoran/Federation issues which were the primary focus of seasons one and two; rather than the action-centered, inter-political Federation/Dominion and Federation/Klingon issues common to seasons three and four.

The show is thoroughly riveting for its first four acts. It effectively sets up an uneasy situation and foreshadows the consequences of changing political administrations where the incoming and outgoing parties have two distinctly different views. Everything surrounding this set-up feels right, from Kai Winn supporting Akorem's radical initiative, to the powerful early scene where Akorem gives his promenade speech while a subtle trace of concern develops on Sisko's face as he listens to what is being said. Even Kira, whose faith couldn't be much more devoted, obviously has second thoughts about where Akorem is bound to take Bajor with his reforms. This clash of old beliefs and new world culminates with an incident where Vedek Porta kills another Bajoran simply because of the man's "unclean" d'jarra--intolerable murder justified by Porta's religious extremism. This, in combination with Sisko's vision where Kai Opaka (Camille Saviola) appears to offer ambiguous words hiding apparent advice, finally makes Sisko realize that the d'jarras are not going to do anything but erase all the progress he has worked for. He decides he must ensure the d'jarras are not re-instituted.

The story's conclusion, however, does not feel quite right. Sisko doesn't want to challenge Akorem's claim, as that would divide Bajor and cause chaos. Instead, Sisko and Akorem go into the wormhole to ask the Prophets who is really the Emissary, and if they intended Akorem to bring the d'jarras back. The wormhole aliens answer the question with a variety of intriguing but ultimately incomprehensible riddles (it boils down to "no"), and they are able to send Akorem back to the century he came from.

This is simply too easy. It's evident the wormhole aliens have no clue or care about Bajoran politics or religion. Yet, with a convoluted explanation, they are able to convince Akorem that he was making a false presumption that really had no basis, while simultaneously telling Sisko that he is the real Emissary since he taught them the meaning of linear time. It took me a while to put my finger on why I didn't find this completely satisfying, but I think it's because the aliens' answer seems too arbitrary. Instead of working the problem at hand, the writers use this device to simply delete the problem to a point where one would almost never know it existed in the first place. Oh those Prophets are so complicated. lolol At least we get to see Sisko come to terms with his place in the universe.

Also, let's not forget the B-story involving Keiko O'Brien's return to the station. This is absolutely top-notch B-story material, featuring a great performance (marked by some moments of subtle hilarity) by Colm Meaney as the everyday family man finally getting his family back (soon to be a bigger family with the announcement that Keiko is pregnant). The humor surrounding his new dilemma--that he has to get home in a hurry every night and not drink or play darts with Julian--is a load of fun. This has to be one of the best B-stories of the year. I give this very good episode a solid
      8.5 rating.
      I'm in awe of all of your reviews. When I'm reading your reviews, it's like I'm reading a good book... and I can't wait to find out the ending

Comment

Ascension is where I thought Sisko was really starting to embrace his role as Emissary. Its one of those love-hate episode. You either think its brillant or pure rubbish. I am of the former category. It was a gradual and logical continuation to show a continuation of who Sisko is and why he is here and what he really wants to do. And more importantly it shows the development of where Bajor is going to become their own planet which eventually plays a major impact with the Dominion
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          Ascension is where I thought Sisko was really starting to embrace his role as Emissary. Its one of those love-hate episode. You either think its brillant or pure rubbish. I am of the former category. It was a gradual and logical continuation to show a continuation of who Sisko is and why he is here and what he really wants to do. And more importantly it shows the development of where Bajor is going to become their own planet which eventually plays a major impact with the Dominion
          Perfectly said brother jelgate!. It is definitely one of those love it or hate type episodes that came out of the whole DS9/Bajoran/Prophets storyline. I rewatched it this evening and it is a lot better than I remembered!. I do agree that Sisko made a great personal leap in this episode, it was wonderful to see.

I also agree completely with brother USS Defiant about the great B-Story in Accession. As a lot of you know, I am no big fan of Keiko, but she and Miles were brilliant (very real couples portrayal). I would give it 7.9 rating.
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
            Perfectly said brother jelgate!. It is definitely one of those love it or hate type episodes that came out of the whole DS9/Bajoran/Prophets storyline. I rewatched it this evening and it is a lot better than I remembered!. I do agree that Sisko made a great personal leap in this episode, it was wonderful to see.

I also agree completely with brother USS Defiant about the great B-Story in Accession. As a lot of you know, I am no big fan of Keiko, but she and Miles were brilliant (very real couples portrayal). I would give it 7.9 rating.

In concur that end embraced his anointing after this event...when he had to fight for the bajoran people
            To me this was like Neo embracing that he was The One.

Sisko met them before but didn't really understand what his role was and why it was important. I think he does now and that's the reason why this episode was created and the reason for the subsequent dushe endings. But this is kind of typical of DS9 and Trek to easy out the endings.

Comment

WOOHOO, I'm contagious

And on another note....DS9, hmm. I'm not into religion or anything like that, but I didn't mind it in DS9 for some reason It was good for the most part, but sometimes I got a little bored with it. What? I can't help it. I have a short attention span
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                WOOHOO, I'm contagious

And on another note....DS9, hmm. I'm not into religion or anything like that, but I didn't mind it in DS9 for some reason It was good for the most part, but sometimes I got a little bored with it. What? I can't help it. I have a short attention span
                We get it Linda. You like space battle where you don't have to think which is probaby why you like Sacrifice of Angels so much.

The thing with DS9 religion is that is was there and that the Bajorans were a deeply spiritual people but the religion wasn't in your face. It was part of the show but their were many other major focuses of the
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  We get it Linda. You like space battle where you don't have to think which is probaby why you like Sacrifice of Angels so much.

The thing with DS9 religion is that is was there and that the Bajorans were a deeply spiritual people but the religion wasn't in your face. It was part of the show but their were many other major focuses of the
                  *nods head* ....KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

That's probably why I don't mind the religious aspect of DS9, because it was a part of the show but there were so many other things there also. I didn't like the religious parts when they added it to SGU, it felt somewhat shoehorned in a little *shrugs*
                  sigpic

Comment

Found a Youtube video compiling most of the Sisko/Prophets parts of 'Emissary'. Most interesting.
                    My favourite lines?
                    "It is not linear." "No, it's not... linear."
                    Replace 'linear' with 'healthy'.
                    sigpic
                    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                      Found a Youtube video compiling most of the Sisko/Prophets parts of 'Emissary'. Most interesting.
                      My favourite lines?
                      "It is not linear." "No, it's not... linear."
                      Replace 'linear' with 'healthy'.
                      This will always be my favorite.
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

"This video contains content from Sony Pictures, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Bloody typical. Although in the other videos it suggests, watch "Captain Picard as gay guy". I love Stewart when he does stuff like that, not acting gay but acting so different from Picard. It's what makes him so enjoyable in 'American Dad'.

sigpic

Comment

Episode #85 Accession
                          Although it had more impact on Kira, this was really a Sisko episode, and a terrific one at that. It reminded me of "Emissary" and the early episodes with Bareil and Winn, when our commander was trying to decide how to balance his responsibilities to Starfleet and the Prime Directive with his unique obligation to Bajor and its prophets.

I loved him at the beginning with the new Emissary - thought it made sense that Sisko would trust a revered Bajoran poet whom Kira had heard of, particularly as he wanted off the hook so badly himself: "All I have to worry about are the Klingons, the Dominion, and the Maquis. I feel like I'm on vacation!" lol

Watching this skeptical man trying to balance his distrust of spiritual phenomena with his growing sense that he may have a role to play was a Bajoran spiritual leader was moving and illuminating. This was the first episode about Bajoran spirituality that I can remember which took it completely seriously, and in which Sisko took it completely seriously as well.

I also think this was the strongest Kira episode of the season. I would not call Kira a wimp for falling prey to religious fervor any more than I'd characterize my religious friends that way, even when I want to scream at them for trying to interpret the Bible as a blueprint for American society. Yes, Kira was awfully passive for a lot of this episode, but she's been passive under the guidance religious leaders before; she even went along with Bareil when he suggested that she try nurturing her artistic side, way back in the "The Circle." I wish she were the kind of person who questioned more - she told Bareil that she was, but maybe his death really did change her. Accession is a truly great episode!.

Comment

Episode #85 Accession
                            I love Sisko Emissary episodes. Yup, this is the one where he finally embraces being the Emissary. What makes it brilliant is that he fights for the job for the good of Bajor, not for anything personal... even though he finds great personal joy in it in the seasons to come.
                            The caste system was an intriguing concept for Bajor and was obviously chosen to parallel caste-based religions and societies in reality. Seeing that Vedek cop to murder like it was nothing... Shocking, though that seemed a bit too easy for the re-institution of a system that wasn't practised for decades. To go from zero to murder in a few weeks... Clearly, he was a closet caste fanatic all along.
                            Kira and her struggle with her faith and inherently knowing this couldn't be the path the Prophets laid out for her was brilliantly written and acted. One of Nana's best acting jobs on the show!
                            The Prophet that takes Opaka's form is my favourite. Whenever we've seen 'her', 'she' tells it like it is in a way the other Prophets don't seem capable of achieving. I wonder if 'she' was actually 'Sarah'. Would make some sense.
                            Keiko was manipulative in this episode, as usual, but she did a great thing for both her sorry and obviously misguided husband and his potential alcoholic best friend.
                            I give it a solid 8.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                              This was the first episode about Bajoran spirituality that I can remember which took it completely seriously, and in which Sisko took it completely seriously as well. Accession is a truly great episode!.
                              Apart from Tracy Cardascoggins, 'Destiny' was a very serious look at Bajoran prophecy, Sisko's role as Emissary and Kira's religious devotion.
                              Serious sociopolitical issues AND great space action?! One of my faves from s3!
                              sigpic
                              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I love Sisko Emissary episodes. Yup, this is the one where he finally embraces being the Emissary. What makes it brilliant is that he fights for the job for the good of Bajor, not for anything personal... even though he finds great personal joy in it in the seasons to come.

The Prophet that takes Opaka's form is my favourite. Whenever we've seen 'her', 'she' tells it like it is in a way the other Prophets don't seem capable of achieving. I wonder if 'she' was actually 'Sarah'. Would make some sense.
                                Apart from Tracy Cardascoggins, 'Destiny' was a very serious look at Bajoran prophecy, Sisko's role as Emissary and Kira's religious devotion.
                                Serious sociopolitical issues AND great space action?! One of my faves from s3!
                                The first Emissary episodes are really interesting if they're watched one after the other.

Destiny
                                Accession
                                Rapture

They form a great arc where Sisko at first resists the idea of actually being the Emissary. By the end of Rapture, we actually see Sisko not only acknowledging his role of Emissary but he was wanting and needing to use the Orb of Prophecy and Change to bring clarity to his visions. The transformation is remarkable to watch.

By the time we get to Sacrifice of Angels and Far Beyond the Stars, Sisko's relationship with the Prophets is incredibly well-developed.

As for the Opaka Prophet being Sarah, I don't know if that's plausible since Sarah Prophet was still inside the Orb of the Emissary on Tyree. Still, you're correct that the Opaka Prophet had a very pointed and powerful way of communicating to Sisko.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X