Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    I would look forward to a quiz of any knd. Except maybe a Quark quiz.
    I do have enough questions to do at least 2 new quizzes, minus the fill-in questions, which would take me a few days to put together. No promises, but I might put one together in next few weeks. I also miss the quizzes (although it is a lot of work, as you full-well know brother jelgate)
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
      I do have enough questions to do at least 2 new quizzes, minus the fill-in questions, which would take me a few days to put together. No promises, but I might put one together in next few weeks. I also miss the quizzes (although it is a lot of work, as you full-well know brother jelgate)
      Excellent, a new quiz! I miss them too, despite my vain attempts to get my old brain cell to recall information! I do understand how much work they are. I did one years ago, it's not easy wording questions to suit various levels of knowledge and interests, and keep it balanced so everyone is engaged. Your outpouring of blood, sweat, and tears to bring us those wonderful quizzes is much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
        Well the last movie wasn't very Star Trek.
        But they aren't going to get any recognition unless they go out on a limb creatively.
        Avatar LotR designed whole worlds in Avatar's case down to the plants and animals...that movie was an experience....so was LotR even Star Wars has hit that level...
        Trek has been awkwardly stuck in the 80's and the first real budget they get they create the ibridge and brewry-engineering and dangle a laser from a chain as the big threat.

No one is Trek Seriously ...not after that film.
        The biggest problem with Star Trek, at least on film, is Paramount treating the franchise like crap. Star Trek movies could make 3 to 5 times it's budget, even more depending on how small they made it, yet they always aimed the films towards fans knowing that we'd watch it and make all that money.

You can't do much with what they were given, yet the fans proved that the small amount the studios would make more money back. Star Trek needs to do "explore strange new worlds, seek out new live and new civilisations and boldly go where no one has gone before" and what do we get, a pre TOS era movie with Romulans, or Klingons, or Borg, where is the real exploration?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
          I don't care about lens flares or the coolest alien contact lenses ever. I care about the story. What are the chances of a Trek movie getting nominated for best screenplay or even for, GASP, best picture? Sci-fi gets pushed aside because, sadly, the members of the Academy don't seem to be able to see the human story amidst the lens flares and alien contact lenses. The story of Anakin Skywalker was one of the most tragic stories played out across 6 movies, especially in 'Revenge of the Sith'. Picard's motivation in First Contact made sense and clearly post-traumatic stress-induced and we all know that Stewart can act!
          Trek movies pre-XI had the same basic problem: 7/8 talk, 1/8 action. Imagine First Contact with the Sector 001 battle lasting a good 15 minutes? Or a battle against the Borg sphere in the past? I'd gladly cut out some of the Montana scenes for that. XI seems to have changed the ratio, though. For the better? Eh. Jury's still out on that.
          -First Contact was perhaps worse written story in the Movie Franchise.
          -Picard was out of character. (from the series)
          -The Borg Queen was the most useless villian and excuse for Stalling I've ever seen she did absolutely nothing in the story.

-Scientifically:
          They launched the Phoenix in a rocket capable of only 530,000 lbs of thrust (for a nuclear warhead).
          The Phoenix is a set of heavy magnesium field coils, a anti matter reactor, Second stage chemical Rocket, articulation frame and longer than the space shuttle in a Titanium shell.

This thing is heavier than sin. The shuttle is a 100 TONS and needs 6 million pounds of thrust from two rapid thrust SRB and Fuel Storage Capacity double that of the orbiter's size just to reach orbit.

-The Phoenix was built by the efforts of small group in the after math of a War that aparently who's hostiles were still active over North America. There so many problem with this considering the resources involved. The antimatter, the Launch chemical and storage, Testing (not to mention failure), manufacturing of the complicated items to survive the destructive vibrations of launch.

In short there is no way that Phoenix was launched by such a group of people it would require the resource of a military or NASA, not an independent drunk.

They did this because of money concerns and budget. The movie of Trek tends to spend too much money on all the actors they believe are required. This has likely held it's movies down. The undisclosed forrest. A cheap silo and rag tag cloth individuals.

The facility they need would have been something the size what we saw in Avatar or Area 51

They essentially stood around figuring out what to do with themselves until Picard had his panic attack and finally came to his senses instead of someone just relieving him of command. It made money but there was very little story here, very little science and a lot of fiction.

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
          The biggest problem with Star Trek, at least on film, is Paramount treating the franchise like crap. Star Trek movies could make 3 to 5 times it's budget, even more depending on how small they made it, yet they always aimed the films towards fans knowing that we'd watch it and make all that money.

You can't do much with what they were given, yet the fans proved that the small amount the studios would make more money back. Star Trek needs to do "explore strange new worlds, seek out new live and new civilisations and boldly go where no one has gone before" and what do we get, a pre TOS era movie with Romulans, or Klingons, or Borg, where is the real exploration?
          I am forced to concur completely.

Comment

And I think I can speak for all of us how much we appreciate your hard work and dedication to give us these quizes, both you and Brother Jel They are fun, even If I'm not very good at them And I get a hoot out of reading Lady Pitry's answers
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
              The exploration is of new teenie boppers who'll pay to Oooh and Aaaah over the young cast and the special effects.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

The exploration is of new teenie boppers who'll pay to Oooh and Aaaah over the young cast and the special effects.
                Trek At All Cost.

Quality always suffers from the love of the fanatic.
                You guys have a true appreciation for the good sci fi trek was.

Comment

if there is going to be another tv series it's going to be thanks to the teenie boppers.

Star Trek Generations and First Contact take a lot of criticism but Insurrection doesn't why is that?

PS, Quark is a legend

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                    And I think I can speak for all of us how much we appreciate your hard work and dedication to give us these quizes, both you and Brother Jel They are fun, even If I'm not very good at them And I get a hoot out of reading Lady Pitry's answers
                    That is very nice to hear, and thank you Lady Linda and Kris). And I know there is a lot of appreciation from everyone here for all the darn work involved (not only creating them, but grading them as well). As much as I might complain, I love them as much as anyone. Unfortunetly life circumstances (taking care of my dear Momma and helping my Father) has taken every bit of any extra time I could devote to putting on one of my "all purpose quizzes". Hopefully I can still put one on in the next few weeks. (I will give at least 2 weeks heads up before I actually decide to do one). Thats where I ask for requests for parts of the quiz (dedicated character section - dedicated episode section ...etc..)

As you know I like to mix the questions up by using all the various series (mainly TNG, VOY and DS9), and of course there is the Trek Movie Section of the quiz (a handful of various Star Trek movie questions). Hint: I have been watching a lot TNG lately.
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by lkg1980 View Post
                      if there is going to be another tv series it's going to be thanks to the teenie boppers.
                      I can still remember when TNG first came on air (I was just out of High School). It had such a huge audience with great ratings (especially in the 14 - 30 demographic). I have no problems with any new Star Trek series targeting a certain younger demographic. Let's just get a new series in the works to begin with.
                      Originally posted by lkg1980 View Post
                      PS, Quark is a legend
                      Christine
                      Indeed Christine, I couldn't say it any better myself!. (I can hear brother jelagte grumbling to himself right now).
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                        -First Contact was perhaps worse written story in the Movie Franchise.
                        Are you feeling well? Would you like to lay down and rest? Can I get you something? Water? Chicken soup? Anti-psychotics?
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Indeed Christine, I couldn't say it any better myself!. (I can hear brother jelagte grumbling to himself right now).
                          Indeed. Even the great morons and idiots are considered legends. Ghangus Khan is considered a legend but no one would dare call him a good person
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

I named one of my cats Quark he is 7 years old, half turkish persian half tabby, orange, hazel eyes. I named him Quark because there is a lot of loose change in my love seat and he tries to get in it and take the latinum I mean loonies out so he can bat it on the floor with his paw. I was going to name his younger brother Rom but I went with Baby Shol'va instead

I read comments about blaming Paramount and budget issues on the problems the Star Trek films had but imagine for a moment if a Star Trek: The Next Generation film had the direction and budget Star Trek had it would probably look ridiculous and out of character from the television series. I think the writing is to blame it was to inconsistent in the Star Trek films. Star Trek: Generations had a smaller budget than Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) and I thought Star Trek: Generations was a much better film than First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis.

that being said I have some wishes.

Star Trek: The Next Generation had two recurring storylines through out the television series the Borg and Q I wish they wrote a film with a plot similar to All Good Things. I wish they wrote a Star Trek: Deep Space Nine film because the only thing worse than when Star Trek: Voyager was on air was Star Trek: Insurrection. set the timeline in between Season 6 and 7, add a dominion plot, add a prophet sub plot, add a funny Quark cameo and you got yourself a Star Trek: Deep Space Nine film.

Christine
                            Last edited by lkg1980; 10 March 2010, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Are you feeling well? Would you like to lay down and rest? Can I get you something? Water? Chicken soup? Anti-psychotics?
                              SEE...that is exactly the kind of line of dialogue we needed in First Contact for Picards out of character behavior.
                              Instead everyone followed his orders, even Worf and Beverly who had the authority to relieve him.

Contrivance.

Comment

That is very nice to hear, and thank you Lady Linda and Kris). And I know there is a lot of appreciation from everyone here for all the darn work involved (not only creating them, but grading them as well). As much as I might complain, I love them as much as anyone. Unfortunetly life circumstances (taking care of my dear Momma and helping my Father) has taken every bit of any extra time I could devote to putting on one of my "all purpose quizzes". Hopefully I can still put one on in the next few weeks. (I will give at least 2 weeks heads up before I actually decide to do one). Thats where I ask for requests for parts of the quiz (dedicated character section - dedicated episode section ...etc..)

As you know I like to mix the questions up by using all the various series (mainly TNG, VOY and DS9), and of course there is the Trek Movie Section of the quiz (a handful of various Star Trek movie questions). Hint: I have been watching a lot TNG lately.
                                And I bet reading some of the rather witty answers makes it all worth while
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X